Saw Dune

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In theater or on HBO Max? I'm not sure whether the visuals justify spending money for the theater when I have it at home already.

Last edited:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
In theater or on HBO Max? I'm not sure whether the visuals justify spending money for the theater when I have it at home already.

We both said it’s gotta be seen on big screen. But that said if you have a big tv and sound system it would be decent

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think my buddy said this is available in imax too, but I honestly have no idea where the nearest imax is.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I get the feeling that my wife would get bored with it, as she tends to complain that something needs to happen if the movie goes too long without significant events (and yet can somehow sit through a Woody Allen movie contently).
I would not enjoy it is as much if my wife went with me so not even going to attempt it. It would be like taking her to a strip club.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would not enjoy it is as much if my wife went with me so not even going to attempt it. It would be like taking her to a strip club.

I love watching movies with her, but for movies that are clearly interesting to me, and clearly not for her, I struggle because I have so little free time, and when left to my own devices, that time is going to be spent watching sports or with the TV off. There are a lot of movies that I really want to watch, but they're rarely my favorite available option when I have the time.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I get the feeling that my wife would get bored with it, as she tends to complain that something needs to happen if the movie goes too long without significant events (and yet can somehow sit through a Woody Allen movie contently).
I am convinced that deep down nobody thinks Woody Allen movies are good, but nobody wants to be the one that says, "I don't get it. What is good is about this?"

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Saw it last night as well. Was very curious how they were going to cut the movies into 2, and honestly thought it was about as good of a time to do it. There does seem to be "a lot of build, with no sufficient end" but I think that is solely if you've never read it or are expecting it to be a standalone movie.

There was a good amount of character/family development, but also still felt a bit rushed at times. I will say, I read stories that it was "boring, or slow moving" but I didn't see it. Tons of action and storyline matter to chew on during the 2.5+ hours. Maybe a few less shots of the planetscapes and a few more dialogue scenes but overall was very pleased with how it played out.

Lots of "visions" which are great foreshadowing, but brings more questions to the watcher than answers, which is on purpose but can see how some new to Dune would be annoyed they didn't get more.

I think it's worth seeing in theaters, if you're on the fence about it, but I do plan to re-watch on HBO Max to add some subtitles to a few discussion and just to take it all in again.

tl;dr version: As a person who has been waiting for this movie for years, I was very happy leaving the theater. Characters were played well and believable, cinematography is what you'd expect from Denis. The movie covers alot but also leaves alot untouched, almost assuring a 2nd movie without actual confirmation. I know some casual watchers will not find it as enjoyable, but I think this could be a great set up for an awesome 2nd movie. Here's to hoping.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Saw it last night as well. Was very curious how they were going to cut the movies into 2, and honestly thought it was about as good of a time to do it. There does seem to be "a lot of build, with no sufficient end" but I think that is solely if you've never read it or are expecting it to be a standalone movie.

There was a good amount of character/family development, but also still felt a bit rushed at times. I will say, I read stories that it was "boring, or slow moving" but I didn't see it. Tons of action and storyline matter to chew on during the 2.5+ hours. Maybe a few less shots of the planetscapes and a few more dialogue scenes but overall was very pleased with how it played out.

Lots of "visions" which are great foreshadowing, but brings more questions to the watcher than answers, which is on purpose but can see how some new to Dune would be annoyed they didn't get more.

I think it's worth seeing in theaters, if you're on the fence about it, but I do plan to re-watch on HBO Max to add some subtitles to a few discussion and just to take it all in again.

tl;dr version: As a person who has been waiting for this movie for years, I was very happy leaving the theater. Characters were played well and believable, cinematography is what you'd expect from Denis. The movie covers alot but also leaves alot untouched, almost assuring a 2nd movie without actual confirmation. I know some casual watchers will not find it as enjoyable, but I think this could be a great set up for an awesome 2nd movie. Here's to hoping.

I love reading this and appreciate it. I am not one that read the books or was dying to see this or knows anything about the characters etc so hearing someone that has that history is great. I think the cast is top notch. I have to say Jason Mamoa can (gasp) actually act?! Rebecca Ferguson continues to be a criminally underrated actress and i love her. And love seeing acting royalty like Charlotte Rampling as that queen witch old lady. Good stuff.

Reactions: srjclone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Never read the books or watched the old movies but this looks good and has a good cast. Will definitely watch at some point

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I love reading this and appreciate it. I am not one that read the books or was dying to see this or knows anything about the characters etc so hearing someone that has that history is great. I think the cast is top notch. I have to say Jason Mamoa can (gasp) actually act?! Rebecca Ferguson continues to be a criminally underrated actress and i love her. And love seeing acting royalty like Charlotte Rampling as that queen witch old lady. Good stuff.

I'm wary, just because the book is maybe one of my favorite books of all time. But I'll definitely be seeing it in theaters because I want them to make another one.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Lover Rampling in her role, the perfect amount of witch/grandmother. Was curious how Skaarsgard would pull off Baron and really liked his portrayal, the Baron in the book was a bit "over the top" in some senses, and I thought they made the Baron ominous but believable.

Honestly, after seeing it, I can't imagine anyone else playing the Atreides family. Gurney, Thufir and Duncan were well cast as well, although they didn't really dive into the mentat ability as much as I'd hoped. Thufir and Piter are two of the more interesting characters to me as Mentats are essentially the only computers allowed in this world and are trained from infancy to be one.
Paul has mentat abilities in the book and that is a part of the reason he has this "potential messiah" aura around him

But glad a person who didn't have the background enjoyed it! I always worry about how a book with such an expansive universe/lore can be accurately portrayed on the screen without feeling overwhelming or forced.

Last edited:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Rampling was grand, but not as evil as the original. I prefer the Baron from the 1984 although new one is slimier (in more ways than one) and therefore more sinister. Who can resist Moama as Duncan and Bardem as Stilgar? I did keep waiting for Paul's little sis to cry out "He is the Kwizatz Hadderack, Give A Dog A Bone!"

New version is definitely worth your time, Dune fans. Big screen, little screen, the spice must flow.