Saia leaves ISU women’s tennis

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Boomers loss is a huge blow to women end tennis. Tremendous gains, hope no players transfer to Clemson.
Could we have kept the coach??

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Boomers loss is a huge blow to women end tennis. Tremendous gains, hope no players transfer to Clemson.
Could we have kept the coach??

If it was for money…. then no. Makes no sense to pay any kind of money at all for a women’s tennis coach.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
If it was for money…. then no. Makes no sense to pay any kind of money at all for a women’s tennis coach.
So what is the guidelines for Tennis vs. Track/CC, softball, swimming etc.
Do not give me the money BS, budgets are moved around all the time.
Boomer WAS on the verge of creating a brand - otherwise why would a school like Clemson come calling … and they were not the only one.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Don’t we play matches at Ames High? Our resources are totally uncompetitive. It’s amazing what he did here but ISU has invested nothing into tennis and it shows. That’s not a bad thing but it’s also an obvious reason for him to leave.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was disappointed when he left. I just assumed it was a money thing. He truly built something out of nothing with ISU tennis. Similar to what Fennely did with WBB.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What do you think we should pay coaches for the wrestling or women's bball programs? Those programs are also net in the red.

I'd be upset if it was over money to be honest.

Instead of more money going into paying the women’s tennis coach and facilities…. I’d rather see it go to football.

However, I do agree that at some point you can’t just keep pouring money into football either if you’re not seeing a ROI from it.

• Angry
Reactions: wing59

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Instead of more money going into paying the women’s tennis coach and facilities…. I’d rather see it go to football.

However, I do agree that at some point you can’t just keep pouring money into football either if you’re not seeing a ROI from it.

Its all somewhat of a waterfall of priorities. You have to spend something on the lower-priority sports, to make them respectable at least, but priorities have to exist. First priority is going to go to the things that generate revenue. Football (mainly) and mens basketball. Then to the things that while in the red, draw lots of fans. That's WBB, Volleyball, and Wrestling. Everything else has a lower priority than that.

So even if you didn't dump that extra money into football, you should then be looking at things like basketball. Like, would you rather ISU spend that money on tennis or would you rather that money be spent towards modernizing Hilton? That's an easy call for me

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
What do you think we should pay coaches for the wrestling or women's bball programs? Those programs are also net in the red.

I'd be upset if it was over money to be honest.
Iowa State wrestling and women’s basketball are much larger brands and bring in more boosters/fan interest than women’s tennis. Not the best comparison.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I look at it this way. He left the program better than he arrived.

Iowa State will always have limitations on the amount of investment it can make in certain Olympic sports.

So this is why Jamie and his top administrators make the big bucks. They need to make the next great Tennis coaching hire. It's a big ask, but their job.

Hopefully he had a great assistant and we can keep the team intact.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We talking about women’s college tennis here? Lol. Great story this year, but I mean wtf ever.

Women’s tennis coaches will take pay cuts to get closer to home and/or family.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
He had a quote recently that he wanted to stay here. Of course any coach says that. I suspect we were outbid, or Clemson just has better advantages.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
The facilities disadvantage feels like the biggest cause to me. We have seen great coaches choose Iowa State over bigger programs/paychecks as long as they feel they can compete.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
He had a quote recently that he wanted to stay here. Of course any coach says that. I suspect we were outbid, or Clemson just has better advantages.
You ever been to South Carolina? Clemson has resources ISU and the Big 12 brethren outside of TCU only dream about.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
To me it’s a situation where no one is at fault. No disrespect to the sport of tennis. I was on the tennis team in HS and still love it, but it’s just not a sport worth dumping extra money into. Can’t blame Pollard imo and certainly can’t blame Saia for getting more money, better facilities, closer to home, etc.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
You ever been to South Carolina? Clemson has resources ISU and the Big 12 brethren outside of TCU only dream about.
Yes. I live a stones throw away. I assume Boomer brought the offer to Jamie, and Jamie looked at it and wished him the best.
The publicity from this team’s run is great, but there’s no money to be made for ISU in women’s tennis.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do we know if any of the players are going with him?