S.I.: Wichita State to AAC, early as 2017-18

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by cyclones500, Mar 30, 2017.

1. carvers4math

carvers4math Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Son in Wichita has said there have been rumors about this for a while, as well as the possibility of adding football again at WSU, although he thinks their stadium is pretty small. Guessing they could get some corporate sponsor to cough up some money if they wanted to go that route though. They would have much better basketball competition though.

2. Daserop

Daserop Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Space Debris Collection
    The Bebop
    Smart move by Wichita State.

3. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Gotta think the ADs office is pushing to get them on TV anymore. Need some additional revenue to help with that massive contract.

4. carvers4math

carvers4math Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Won't the Koch Brothers just keep shoveling them money?

5. Cyballzz

Cyballzz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Exactly. A Move to the MAC sounds like a fine plan for UNI but what does the MAC actually gain by adding them?

If you are going to divide an already meager pie even further you damn well better add some value ($$$$) to the conference.

6. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    Dubuque
    As a UNI alum (but Cyclone fan first!) I'd be thrilled to see them join the MAC. But unless the school has fallen into some money that I haven't heard about it, I don't know how it would be possible.

Hard to see what the MAC could stand to gain from it, a footprint into Iowa recruiting perhaps? Not that there's a hot bed of talent, but certainly there are MAC-level athletes all across the state.

UNI could move up to FBS football, which I think would help with the attendance issues. FBS is way more interesting than FCS (duh) I think I went to just two football games (both homecoming) in 3 years of being a student there, and one I left at halftime because it just didn't interest me a whole lot. Think of the fact, too, that when they beat ISU as they occasionally do, we aren't losing to a freaking FCS school at least....not that losing to a MAC school makes you feel that much better.

7. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    UND is already headed to Summit. It was announced awhile ago. UND's hockey program is by far the biggest program in the state and will be the biggest program in that conference even though Summit doesn't host hockey. Their hockey program brings in money.

8. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    It's a tough blow for the Valley but a good move for all the teams in the Valley imo. It was already effectively a 1-bid league to anyone other than WSU. Now instead of needing to beat WSU in the MVC tournament to get an invitation they just need to beat each other.

9. Bryce7

Bryce7 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Consultant
    Color me Shocked.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. cyIclSoneU

cyIclSoneU Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    It is not good for the Valley, it is awful for the Valley. The Valley drops from one of the best-of-the-rest conferences to a run of the mill mid- to low-major now. This will cost all of their schools money and exposure. I would doubt CBS will continue to show the Arch Madness final when that contract comes back up.

11. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    Am I the only one that thinks WSU probably won't do that much better (seeding wise) than what they have gotten? Instead of having a gaudy record with only 2 or 3 losses in the MVC they will probably have 6 or 8 losses which will put them round the same seeding they have always gotten. Should be interesting to see how this works out.

12. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    It would be terrible blow for the MVC to lose their only national program. That said it could easily be a positive for UNI and Drake IMO. Currently WSU is so dominate in the conference it is essentially a one bid league, due to the money and recruiting advantage they have over the rest of the league. They are/were set up to be the only relevant program for the next decade.
    Them moving would allow for the instate schools to build and realistically fight for the NCAA bid and exposure. Someone would need to take over the crown may as well be UNI or Drake..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    They were already run of the mill. That's why WSU jumped to the best of the rest.

Bad for the conference, good for the teams in the conference. The MVC was already a wasteland. Nothing is better for those type programs than consistently getting to the tournament.

14. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    The only thing UNI would have on UMASS is UMASS wasn't a full member, I think they were a football only member due to being so far off the MAC footprint. UNI would bring all sports and at least borders a state already in the leagues footprint. I think the move would be a ways down the line but UNI would be a better fit IMO. UMASS was a half assed member, who didn't even bring the best programs to the MAC. UNI would be all in and has programs that would compete from day one.

15. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Fair enough, but there is no way the MAC wants UNI. That is a Michigan/Ohio conference (9 teams in those 2 states)

16. DesMoinesCy

DesMoinesCy Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Insurance
    Des Moines
    Losing to a MAC school looks a lot better perception-wise than losing to a FCS school, even though the Top 10 or FCS schools are better than some of the lower-division MAC teams.

17. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JHUNSY

JHUNSY Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Des Moines, IA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
  20. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Fed Govt
    Parts Unknown
    Adding UNO just to " regain the Omaha market" would be a dumb move IMO.