S.I.: Wichita State to AAC, early as 2017-18

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
They're gonna rack up some miles. Not as bad as Creighton though probably.

• Winner
Reactions: JRE1975

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't get it. Is the AAC really that much more prestigious than the Valley? They put 2 teams in the Tournament this year......The Valley has had years where they've sent 4. This is the first year in a long time they only sent one. I guess I don't understand the hype or reasoning for leaving. Would the AAC have better TV deals or something? I'll admit I don't know a lot about that side of conference realignment (mid-majors that is).

• Agree
Reactions: ruxCYtable

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I don't get it. Is the AAC really that much more prestigious than the Valley? They put 2 teams in the Tournament this year......The Valley has had years where they've sent 4. This is the first year in a long time they only sent one. I guess I don't understand the hype or reasoning for leaving. Would the AAC have better TV deals or something? I'll admit I don't know a lot about that side of conference realignment (mid-majors that is).

Yes. It is a step up. Not a big one but a step up. They will at least play a few teams in conference with a pulse in the AAC.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Wichita State most likely wouldn't dominant in American compared to MVC, for sure, but I think that's about the only downside. Your strength of schedule in-conference is going to rise, more opportunities to pick up good wins without it hinging entirely on non-conference scheduling.

And WSU seems able to compete well with the level of teams in AAC in regular-season and postseason. Instead of going 30-4, record might drop to 26-7, so it seems like a step down, but it's mostly even-steven.

There's probably money-trickle-down to be in a league that has D-1 football, too.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This could begin a mid-major domino-effect, if NDSU/SDSU reach for The Valley. As much as P5 football-driven realignment annoys me, the musical-chairs team-shift in D-1 bball sometimes fascinates me.

My friend/fellow ISU fan in Fargo said UND is on a push to move from Big Sky to Summit. So, if ND State and SD State both moved to MVC, and UND landed in Summit, who fills the Big Sky vacancy?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
The valley might replace them with Nebraska Omaha. Omaha is a city that knows and loves the valley and also adds another big city. But this move definitely turns the valley into a low-major conference from a mid-major. They are a 1 bid league forever now. That's why I'm a little surprised to see Ben Jacobson get an extension. That job just got a lot easier, but a lot less valuable

And it's a great move for WSU. Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, and WSU are all great basketball schools. Add in a SMU or Houston or Temple every few years and that's a 4 bid league most of the time. Plus the travel isn't bad with 5 schools within a 90 minute plane ride

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
How much of a benefit financially is a move from the Summit to the Valley? For basketball, the competition won't be much different IMO from the Valley to the Summit if Wichita St. leaves.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
This could begin a mid-major domino-effect, if NDSU/SDSU reach for The Valley. As much as P5 football-driven realignment annoys me, the musical-chairs team-shift in D-1 bball sometimes fascinates me.

My friend/fellow ISU fan in Fargo said UND is on a push to move from Big Sky to Summit. So, if ND State and SD State both moved to MVC, and UND landed in Summit, who fills the Big Sky vacancy?
Idaho i think with them moving down.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Where would UNI go?

UNI wants into the MAC. Badly.

Talk of a package deal with James Madison, because the MAC is obsessed with being on the East Coast.

The botching of the Creighton replacement (Loyola-Chicago) and the upcoming botching of the Wichita replacement (lots of people speculating it will be UMKC) have really alienated UNI and Illinois State. UNI now has an AD and President that aren't 'whatever's best for the conference' guys. They think big.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Don't see UNO moving to the Valley...all about hockey and some big $'s spent by UNO to improve facilities (Baxter Arena) to stay competitive in the Summit. Same goes for the Dakota schools...UMKC makes more sense in a move to the Valley.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good move for WSU but I think they'll take a bit of a hit in headlines at times. They've basically become the Gonzaga(lite) of the midwest. Now, they'll just be another solid team in the AAC. However, it'll be easier for them to get an at large now and my guess is more money.