Misc: Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
My 3 Picks would be: Snedeker, Brenden Todd, and Webb Simpson.

Stricker would be first if he actually wants to play.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My 3 Picks would be: Snedeker, Brenden Todd, and Webb Simpson.

Stricker would be first if he actually wants to play.

oof. what the heck has happened to the US golfers where this is what we're left to choose from? I'd take an injured Tiger over any of those three. At least I know Tiger won't fold like a cheap tent in front of the European crowd.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
oof. what the heck has happened to the US golfers where this is what we're left to choose from? I'd take an injured Tiger over any of those three. At least I know Tiger won't fold like a cheap tent in front of the European crowd.

Yea, a, but he might quit halfway thru a round.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

With the way things have gone, if Tiger would have simply finished this week and been healthy, I would pick him. He' snot healthy and won't be healthy. I don't think you can pick him. The only way I would pick him would be to see him play another tournament and be at least decent and healthy. I just don't see that happening.

Simpson
Sneds
Stricker

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

the only stat Tiger is leading the PGA in is: WD's

What did you think of Tigers performance this weekend? Oh wait he missed the cut by what 5 or 6 shots.

He had to make a 15 ft putt just to make the British Open cut.

Watson would be doing Tiger a favor by not picking him and forcing him to shut it down for the rest of the year. Let him properly heel and then come back next spring and see if he can find his game again.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yea, a, but he might quit halfway thru a round.

a loss is a loss. I'd take the chance if that's the best alternative. Now if a couple guys in contention for the captains pick are playing lights out, then you take them but as it stands just give me Tiger.

Also, after watching yesterday I think Phil and Ricky should be paired together. They seemed to enjoy playing together which is half the battle.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
the only stat Tiger is leading the PGA in is: WD's

What did you think of Tigers performance this weekend? Oh wait he missed the cut by what 5 or 6 shots.

He had to make a 15 ft putt just to make the British Open cut.

Watson would be doing Tiger a favor by not picking him and forcing him to shut it down for the rest of the year. Let him properly heel and then come back next spring and see if he can find his game again.

What stat is Webb, Todd, or Snedekker leading in? I'm pretty sure Tiger has more wins in the Ryder Cup than all three of those guys combined.

My point wasn't that Tiger was playing well, it's that if my best option is an injured Tiger or those three stiffs, just give me Tiger. At least I've got the chance that he's feeling good that weekend. You've already lost if you bring the other three.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
What stat is Webb, Todd, or Snedekker leading in? I'm pretty sure Tiger has more wins in the Ryder Cup than all three of those guys combined.

Well, if you are going on past performance, Woods' last Ryder Cup performance was dismal, and some golf experts in the press were questioning why he was even there. His physical condition now is much closer to his condition in 2012 than it is to his condition back when he was doing well at the Ryder Cup.

My point wasn't that Tiger was playing well, it's that if my best option is an injured Tiger or those three stiffs, just give me Tiger. At least I've got the chance that he's feeling good that weekend. You've already lost if you bring the other three.

The best option isn't an injured Tiger Woods.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Tiger has been getting his *** handed to him in the Ryder Cup the last few cycles. He has lost more matches than anyone...ever. Granted, he's played in more than anyone, but his winning percentage is abysmal. Only Jim Furyk (the Matt Kenseth of golf, for you NASCAR fans. Guy loves his top 10's, but hardley ever crosses the line first) and Tom Kite are worse out of the most oft entered players. He sucks in that format, and has for years.

Keegan Bradley, for example, while his first Ryder Cup was in '12 meaning he's relatively green, beat the crap out of people in this format. He's a team guy. Tiger? No way. Take out his individual record, and the bottom completely falls out of that appalling overall record. Nobody wants to play with him, and he doesn't want to play with anyone else.

Long story short = no thanks Tiger. Come back when you've decided you need strange to be successful.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Tiger has been getting his *** handed to him in the Ryder Cup the last few cycles. He has lost more matches than anyone...ever. Granted, he's played in more than anyone, but his winning percentage is abysmal. Only Jim Furyk (the Matt Kenseth of golf, for you NASCAR fans. Guy loves his top 10's, but hardley ever crosses the line first) and Tom Kite are worse out of the most oft entered players. He sucks in that format, and has for years.

Keegan Bradley, for example, while his first Ryder Cup was in '12 meaning he's relatively green, beat the crap out of people in this format. He's a team guy. Tiger? No way. Take out his individual record, and the bottom completely falls out of that appalling overall record. Nobody wants to play with him, and he doesn't want to play with anyone else.

Long story short = no thanks Tiger. Come back when you've decided you need strange to be successful.

Haha.

I bet two people on this US team don't win a single point. Maybe three. The team is going to be awful and there probably won't be a chance to win when they tee off on the final session. Tiger doesn't fix that but neither does Brendan Todd.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Dufner would not have played if he wasn't defending champion. he said he felt obligated to try. The guy had an epidural 3 days earlier.

And Tiger had back surgery 4 months ago yet it was fine to question whether he was really hurt. FWIW, I have nothing against what Duf did, just how everyone covers every move Tiger makes way different than anyone else.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's my thought:

I say we get real technical with things and claim that Rory's full time residence is in the United States and as such he is a citizen and should only be allowed to play on Team USA. While he may be frustrated at first, he will come around to love his teammates and it will be a great underdog story.

Hell, it worked for the Mighty Ducks-- exploiting a loophole to make Banks switch teams-- why not us?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Here's my thought:

I say we get real technical with things and claim that Rory's full time residence is in the United States and as such he is a citizen and should only be allowed to play on Team USA. While he may be frustrated at first, he will come around to love his teammates and it will be a great underdog story.

Hell, it worked for the Mighty Ducks-- exploiting a loophole to make Banks switch teams-- why not us?

cake eater!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I say you do what any good golf team does in a competitive environment-- find a really good woman and let her play the reds.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I follow golf more than the average sports fan (I watch almost every week), but I can't put faces to four of those names. Jimmy Walker, @ #4 I must be watching with my eyes closed more that I think, Patrick Reed, Ryan Moore, Brendon Todd, this seems like a bad sign for our team.
Walker has been good in the minor tournaments. Todd has played well lately. Reed and Moore are pluggers.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
I'd like to see Kenny Perry get some consideration. Would we really be that much worse off? Who ever Tom decides to go with, our chances seem pretty slim this time around.