Rutgers Official to B1G

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm not impressed. Is the B1G trying to permanently dethrone the Big East as the worst BCS automatic?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Rutgers is ranked #18 in the BCS, higher than all but three Big 12 teams, and less than a year out from handling ISU in the Pinstripe Bowl.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Rutgers is ranked #18 in the BCS, higher than all but three Big 12 teams, and less than a year out from handling ISU in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Funny how you fail to mention that in terms of Big 10 teams, they are only behind Nebraska in terms of BCS. What it says is it's sad that adding Rutgers is actually an upgrade to Big 10 football cache.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Funny how you fail to mention that in terms of Big 10 teams, they are only behind Nebraska in terms of BCS. What it says is it's sad that adding Rutgers is actually an upgrade to Big 10 football cache.

If Ohio St. wasn't on probation, they'd be #2 in the country. But yes, you're right. It's not lost on me that the Big 10 needs all the help it can get to boost it's football cred, and a little sad that Rutgers actually might do it. I just think it's funny all the talk on here about how crappy Rutgers is and what a lame addition it is to the Big 10 when they're a top 20 BCS program and beat down ISU less than a year ago.

D

DistrictCyclone

If Ohio St. wasn't on probation, they'd be #2 in the country. But yes, you're right. It's not lost on me that the Big 10 needs all the help it can get to boost it's football cred, and a little sad that Rutgers actually might do it. I just think it's funny all the talk on here about how crappy Rutgers is and what a lame addition it is to the Big 10 when they're a top 20 BCS program and beat down ISU less than a year ago.

This is one year, and that's one game. BFD.

CyAndrew23

Dec 28, 2011

Yes because they have played ranked teams week in and week out...oh wait. They play cupcakes then one or two "tough" games.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Right. So when we're talking about Iowa, it makes no difference that they're three years removed from winning the Orange Bowl and had four top-10 finishes in the last 10 years, they suck really bad now and that's what matters. When we're talking about Rutgers, it makes no difference that they're good now, they're historically not very good and that's what matters.

Got it.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.

Just my experience, but all the Rutgers grads I know (~10) don't even care about the athletics programs there. From that standpoint, I'm not sure how they fit into the Big 10. Schools like Michigan and Ohio St. have such a passionate following among students and alums (even iowa does), that it makes rutgers look pretty silly by comparison.

D

DistrictCyclone

Right. So when we're talking about Iowa, it makes no difference that they're three years removed from winning the Orange Bowl and had four top-10 finishes in the last 10 years, they suck really bad now and that's what matters. When we're talking about Rutgers, it makes no difference that they're good now, they're historically not very good and that's what matters.

Got it.

WTF does any of this have to do with Iowa??? Who's even talking about them right now?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
You know it's been a rough year for Iowa and the Big 10 as a whole when all they have to talk **** about is how future conference members have beaten ISU...

drop-mic.gif

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You know it's been a rough year for Iowa and the Big 10 as a whole when all they have to talk **** about is how future conference members have beaten ISU...

I know it's been a rough year for Iowa and the Big 10.

What I'm saying is that ISU fans taking shite about Rutgers football is kind of like Iowa fans talking shite about ISU football.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Yes because they have played ranked teams week in and week out...oh wait. They play cupcakes then one or two "tough" games.

Are you talking about tOSU or Rutgers? I guess the same could be said for both.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
All you guys are missing the point of this expansion. It isn't about bringing a quality product to the conference it is about raising the television revenue for each school.

I would have to go back and find it but I think the Maryland president said after the Big Ten renegotiates their tier 1 tv package for 2016 or 2017 and along with the BTN each school will be bringing in somewhere between $38 and $42 million a year. Each school currently gets about $25 millioin a year, that is a huge increase for schools to their athletic budgets. That is what this expansion is about.

D

DistrictCyclone

All you guys are missing the point of this expansion. It isn't about bringing a quality product to the conference it is about raising the television revenue for each school.

I would have to go back and find it but I think the Maryland president said after the Big Ten renegotiates their tier 1 tv package for 2016 or 2017 and along with the BTN each school will be bringing in somewhere between $38 and $42 million a year. Each school currently gets about $25 millioin a year, that is a huge increase for schools to their athletic budgets. That is what this expansion is about.

I think most people comprehend this...but that doesn't mean we can't also make fun of how bad Big Ten football is.