Rural water rate increase?

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I am asking because I have no idea. How many livestock farmers use rural water? My parents use their well for their cattle (they have maybe a dozen head).

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If you are rural and own your land, can’t you drill your own well? Spend
$15-20k and get your own well and pressure system. Avoid those pesky $30 per month water bills.
I'd surprised if many people can get a well drilled (plus the tank installed etc) for $20K these days. I had a new well and tank installed in 2018 and mine was 25K. Most of my neighbors since have been higher still. That's paying years of utility bills up front.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Unfortunately, city government is often a product of its voters as well. People don't want to pay more so they're happy when the city is putting off repairs when all they hear is their taxes aren't going up. Eventually someone ends up holding the bag. Its also possible the reason the rates havent gone back down is that they are now doing that regular maintenance and that is taking that additional money, but it may prevent those kinds of jumps in the future.

Happens a lot of times with HOAs too. Far too many have too little in reserve (especially newer HOAs that are still in good condition and repairs seem like a distant problem) and aren't banking away money for things like roof and pavement repairs, leaving whoever lives there when repairs become unavoidable with a large assessment to make up for what should have been smaller more regular dues payments building up reserves in the years/decades prior.
They haven't fixed all the problems yet. That's why they're still raising water rates.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I am asking because I have no idea. How many livestock farmers use rural water? My parents use their well for their cattle (they have maybe a dozen head).
Cousins have had to the last few years. Rural water called the day they opened it up last summer to be sure there wasn’t a leak

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Been getting water from these folks over 35 years. They have done an outstanding job keeping water affordable over the years. Projects have been completed on schedule and budget. Water quality is excellent. Service is great. Are existing well water was very hard and loaded with sulfer.

What bothers me more is the amount of water required for both ethanol production and data center cooling. These will become bigger and bigger factors as time goes on and will impact cost/availibility.
That carbon pipeline that Summit wants to build takes lots of water at the beginning of the process, not sure where it all gets used but is a bunch.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
$15-20k and get your own well and pressure system. Avoid those pesky $30 per month water bills.
Meh, had a well before rural water went by, had it after, on 30+ years I've done the pressure tank and the box. Probably less than a grand total. Building new would probably hook onto RW but wasn't worth it since I've got a well.

Reactions: Stormin

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It doesn't directly affect me because I'm on well water, but Cedar Rapids recently announced that Google is building a data center near the airport. The city said they would be top 3 in water usage (mostly likely only behind ADM and Quaker Oats).

Google gets some tasty 20 year tax credits and the rest of the population gets utility increases.
International Paper is the second biggest user behind ADM. The treatment plant on the west side is almost exclusively there to serve the industrial customers on the south side.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
A lot of turkey growers use it so they don't have to treat well water. I don't think it's very common for pigs and cattle

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Actually no, I can't, but thanks for your input, condescending ass clown.

I know a professional well driller must be hired. But I thought if you owned an acreage that you could hire someone to drill your own well on your land with approval from county supervisors. Where is the acreage located that you can not do that. Please post your link.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I know a professional well driller must be hired. But I thought if you owned an acreage that you could hire someone to drill your own well on your land with approval from county supervisors. Where is the acreage located that you can not do that. Please post your link.
Being on rural water doesn't mean you necessarily live in a rural area. A ton of small towns are served by rural water and there are charters and covenants which prevent wells from being drilled at both the city/township level as well as the HOA level.

I know this is hard to stomach but you don't know everything about everything.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Being on rural water doesn't mean you necessarily live in a rural area. A ton of small towns are served by rural water and there are charters and covenants which prevent wells from being drilled at both the city/township level as well as the HOA level.

Acreages not a part of HOA’s or small town incorporated areas then would be able to contract a well driller to drill their own well? HOA’s and City limits usually always have restrictions.

I am merely asking questions to determine whether there are limits in place for actual farm acreages. I do not know everything and do not claim to.

So when a person purchases any property they should be aware of their water sources and requirements. No matter where they live. And they likely accepted their water source restrictions when they purchased their property. Kind of like when you considered utility bills and such when trying to find a place to live.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Now you just sound like my wife.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I am merely asking questions to determine whether there are limits in place for actual farm acreages.

By "merely asking" you mean like this.......

I think IcSyU is correct in observing that with that post you are being a.........

condescending ass clown.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'd surprised if many people can get a well drilled (plus the tank installed etc) for $20K these days. I had a new well and tank installed in 2018 and mine was 25K. Most of my neighbors since have been higher still. That's paying years of utility bills up front.
Depends on depth. If you sand point the well may be 7500. If you have to go 250-300, talking probably 10k. Maybe less if you don’t need high volume. Last I did was 40 gpm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron