Running Shoes

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
To fellow Cyclone runners...

I ran my first half last year and want to do another this year. I've always just used my regular workout shoes for my runs. This year, I'm in the market for shoes specifically catered to running. I've got a slight supination (I run slightly on the outside edge of my feet) and my budget is $100 +/-

Any recommendations good or bad?

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Roadrunnersports.com has a shoe finder tool on their website called ShoeDog that has worked well for me in the past. It takes several factors into account including your gait, running frequency, your running pains and your body weight. The shoes it has recommended have worked out well for me.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Also, this thread made me think of this Dilbert comic:
acbc83b0b0fa012f2fef00163e41dd5b

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
My advice would be to not even look at or consider a pair of Nikes. Man, their shoes are garbage.
I think their high end shoes are probably nice but unless you're qualifying for Boston, you aren't going to be needing $160 zoom flys. Saucony, asics, brooks all better for the average joe, and they obviously have their high end shoes too.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I went to fleet feet in Des Moines, great service and company. I tried on a number of brands and ended up with some Hoka shoes. Those things are like running on pillows.

Everyone's feet are different. That's why is so important to go get some expertise so they can look at how you walk, run, your arch and then determine what type of shoe would be best and then go from there.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Roadrunnersports.com has a shoe finder tool on their website called ShoeDog that has worked well for me in the past. It takes several factors into account including your gait, running frequency, your running pains and your body weight. The shoes it has recommended have worked out well for me.

If you happen to have a Roadrunner close by they'll put you on the treadmill and record your stride and foot impact.

Had a hell of a time finding shoes until I had professionals size me up. Worth the time and cost.

That said I'm a Saucony - New Balance - Asics - runner. Would rotate shoes when I was doing a lot of miles.

Now I'm just a fat guy living in cold weather. So one pair works. You might want to play around with insoles too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If you happen to have a Roadrunner close by they'll put you on the treadmill and record your stride and foot impact.

Had a hell of a time finding shoes until I had professionals size me up. Worth the time and cost.

That said I'm a Saucony - New Balance - Asics - runner. Would rotate shoes when I was doing a lot of miles.

Now I'm just a fat guy living in cold weather. So one pair works. You might want to play around with insoles too.

But be careful with insoles if doing a lot of distance unless a person likes ripping their toenails out.
I had fun peeling them out, but it's not for everyone.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
But be careful with insoles if doing a lot of distance unless a person likes ripping their toenails out.
I had fun peeling them out, but it's not for everyone.

Roadrunner molded an insole to my wife's foot. Custom made....which means expensive. She seems to like it, but it's more for stability.

I like running on pillows. So my insoles were for straight cushioning. Thankfully I haven't lost a toe nail.

Dogs, insects, strange people, weather, bathroom issues....yes. Not looking to add toe nail loss to that list

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Roadrunner molded an insole to my wife's foot. Custom made....which means expensive. She seems to like it, but it's more for stability.

I like running on pillows. So my insoles were for straight cushioning. Thankfully I haven't lost a toe nail.

Dogs, insects, strange people, weather, bathroom issues....yes. Not looking to add toe nail loss to that list

I do, too. The Brooks Launch shoes have been great for me.
I added insoles before my first relay across Iowa and didn't consider how my feet would swell, which led to the death of those toenails when space in the shoe got tight. Don't do that.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I do, too. The Brooks Launch shoes have been great for me.
I added insoles before my first relay across Iowa and didn't consider how my feet would swell, which led to the death of those toenails when space in the shoe got tight. Don't do that.

Do you use a wide shoe when you run?

I have issues with my big toe rubbing against the shoe. It's caused permanent numbness. I have a heck of a time finding a wide enough toe box.

Plus I have clown feet. A person my height should have feet at least 2 full sizes smaller. So I wear a very wide shoe.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Do you use a wide shoe when you run?

I have issues with my big toe rubbing against the shoe. It's caused permanent numbness. I have a heck of a time finding a wide enough toe box.

Plus I have clown feet. A person my height should have feet at least 2 full sizes smaller. So I wear a very wide shoe.

No. I just upsize my shoes to allow more space.