Rumor has it...three Big 12 teams were unwilling to commit to ...

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If I were OU and UT I'd be talking to the Big 10, ACC, and Pac 12, encouraging them to open their doors to the other Big 12 members, instead of the idea of "Well, sucks to be you - peace out."
OU and UT are probably talking (or have talked to) to the B1G already. The highest bidder wins.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If I were OU and UT I'd be talking to the Big 10, ACC, and Pac 12, encouraging them to open their doors to the other Big 12 members, instead of the idea of "Well, sucks to be you - peace out."

Why though? I mean...what clout do those two SEC-bound programs have with the other three leagues? Why would those leagues even care what Texas and OU hope for or desire? And any salesmanship for the remaining schools by those two programs would ring more than hollow!

"Hey, take these leftovers that we didn't want to be a part of so we can bank more coin!"

Reactions: cychhosis

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why though? I mean...what clout do those two SEC-bound programs have with the other three leagues? Why would those leagues even care what Texas and OU hope for or desire? And any salesmanship for the remaining schools by those two programs would ring more than hollow!

"Hey, take these leftovers that we didn't want to be a part of so we can bank more coin!"

The whole point is if you find the furious conference members homes that will honestly be more stable and more financially beneficial in the long run, it's much more likely you can save yourself tens of millions of dollars in payouts because the rest of the conference would be more willing to disband at that point.

I'm not at all suggesting this approach is realistic nor suggesting it would work. I'm only suggesting it's a much better approach than the current "sucks to be you" approach that is certainly going to cost them time and/or money, as that attitude has the rest of the conference seeking their blood on their way out.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The whole point is if you find the furious conference members homes that will honestly be more stable and more financially beneficial in the long run, it's much more likely you can save yourself tens of millions of dollars in payouts because the rest of the conference would be more willing to disband at that point.

I'm not at all suggesting this approach is realistic nor suggesting it would work. I'm only suggesting it's a much better approach than the current "sucks to be you" approach that is certainly going to cost them time and/or money, as that attitude has the rest of the conference seeking their blood on their way out.

Yeah...I get that and agree...I get why one would think they could/should help the rest find a landing spot (for their own selfish reasons) but there is zero reason for any other conference to take a call from TX or OU on behalf of the "rest of us"!

Last edited:

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
View attachment 87537

Does anyone know how this compares to the Cyclone Club? Curious as to how we compare (2019 if possible) to KU's version of the Cyclone Club

2020 and 21 didn’t show numbers in the guides. This is the guide from 2019. KU beats us with just the hall of fame donor level in those years .

Attachments

• DE496D28-6E4A-4065-BF47-A8FAD044AD2C.jpeg
    DE496D28-6E4A-4065-BF47-A8FAD044AD2C.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 79

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Its not that OU/UT want to help others find a landing spot...nor that the SEC itself really cares. But neither of those entities is running this gambit...this is ESPN at work almost entirely. And ESPN would rather not payout GOR fees and penalties...and make no mistake that that money will ultimately come out of ESPN's coffers rather than from the teams or the SEC. So ESPN has a dog in the fight for finding landing places for at least SOME of the left behind teams...if they get enough landing spots all of the 100's of millions in GOR/Breach money is mitigated because the Big 12 essentially dissolves.

So follow the money...which means follow ESPN.

• Informative
Reactions: allfourcy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It's odd for people argue about grant of rights penalties, because GoR dollars are media dollars at the end of the day. Whichever pocket you take it out of in a settlement matters little to them, as long as they get the content they want in return.

Look for a deal along the lines of ESPN paying the remainers a number fairly consistent with what we get now for the rest of the term in return for letting the leavers go for a minor fixed amount.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

That's not how I would pitch it. I would have approached the other conferences and pitched my crazy ass idea about how we wanted to form a super league that will essentially take over college football and hoard all of the TV marketing dollars effectively running the remaining teams "out of business". Then get laughed out of the room.

You planted the seed. They think "these crazy SOB's are bloody nuts!"

Then they see the headlines that these teams joined the SEC and are moving forward with their plans. Now OUUT don't have to say ****. They low-key threatened the other conferences to their faces without them knowing it. Now, they all know what OUUT is trying to accomplish and are forced to take action to "fight back."

Well that's a conspiracy theory/movie idea how they could make the other conferences do their bidding while making them think it was their own idea.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
The conference leadership should realize that this is ESPN's Hail Mary to stay afloat. They want to monopolize college football to suck up all the revenue. They think by creating a "super conference" they can create a massive ad revenue bubble that will save their sinking ship. If I was Vanderbilt or the Mississippi schools I'd be a little nervous right now. The other conferences need to oppose this at every turn. I think this is what Jamie is alluding to when he talks about the future of the industry. The other 4 P5 conferences should approach Fox as a group. "Yeah, SEC you got Texas and OU to go with Alabama and Georgia but we have EVERYBODY ELSE". That's a power play.

Reactions: CyBobby and 20eyes

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron