RU Ready for B12 season?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
The team is top 10 in the country in rebounding and scoring. That has to mean something right? Especially since they haven't played well enough to appease most fans. Combine that with the increased defensive intensity for Big 12 play and I see a very good team well equipped to win the games in the 50s and 60s you see in this league. Need to protect Hilton. But I think this team will do so and elevate its game at home.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is a team that can be really good or really bad, depending on the attitude of the players. When they play together, make the extra good pass, fight for rebounds and are focused (IE, making FTs and not making unforced TOs) they are good. When they think they are NBA stars of the future and can take over a game by beating their man one on one or make an incredible pass or shot they are painful to watch.

I am not optomistic about this team, but it is not like they are going to be beat because they are not talented enough to win games. So far they just have not shown they can play good basketball for more than 15 minutes a game.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
I'm more than ready for the conference b ball season. Bring on the Jayhawks.

I'm hoping for a 1st division finish and a berth in the ncaa tournament.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Well these are my views. I hope you will post yours below; keeping in mind that constructive criticism is what will provide the most benefit for our players. I hope they are more ready for the b12 season than I believe they are.
  • Do you honestly believe the players actually come to this site for "constructive criticism" on how to improve their game? Amazing arogance!

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
The team is top 10 in the country in rebounding and scoring. That has to mean something right? Especially since they haven't played well enough to appease most fans. Combine that with the increased defensive intensity for Big 12 play and I see a very good team well equipped to win the games in the 50s and 60s you see in this league. Need to protect Hilton. But I think this team will do so and elevate its game at home.

And just who did this team beat while getting into the top 10 in rebounding and scoring. I say that statistic means nothing right now. The ability is there, the attitude is not.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
3. Selfishness with the ball. Royce and Christofferson were certainly the exceptions to this during last season. And there are players on this team who often have good assist numbers. However when in traffic, the game seem to change for most of these players. It seems that they are more interested in making the play all by themselves, rather than dishing the ball off and hopefully getting it back in a better position to make a play. Perhaps I should have titled item #3 as TRUST, as there is a lack of trust in others on most of the players in this very talented team.

There have been issues here and there, but this is not the stat of a team that doesn't share the ball:

Big 12 Conference Assists
1.​
Kansas 12 209 17.4
2.​
Iowa State 13 219 16.8
3.​
Kansas State 13 208 16.0
4.​
Baylor 12 188 15.7
5.​
West Virginia 12 158 13.2
6.​
Oklahoma State 12 149 12.4
7.​
Texas Tech 11 135 12.3
8.​
Oklahoma 12 142 11.8
9.​
Texas 13 152 11.7
10. TCU 13 145 11.2

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I love me some Conf. play. Two games per week allows the players and coaches to finally get into a rhythm with their practices and scouts. Two things need to happen: 1. Something needs to click for this team, they need to find their individual and team identity, 2. At some point they need to win a game or two to build confidence. Gunna be tough with KU first.
Last year they beat a solid Texas team (at the time) for their first win, then played Mizzou (a very good team) down to the wire. From there they played very good, and got better each week it seemed.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
my prediction is 9-9 finishing 6th.

@KU - L
Tex - L
WV - W
@TCU - W
@TT - W
KSU - W
@OSU - L
BU - L
OU - W
@KSU - L
@ Tex - L
TCU - W
@ BU - L
TT - W
KU - L
@OU - L
OSU - W
@WV - W

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
After the bowl game I turned the calendar page from football to basketball. Bring on the Big 12 games, wish we were playing Saturday. The competition will improve, but the guys will step their game up also. Case in point Will Clyburn. He played a great game against BYU because he was focused and into the game. Hasn't had the same mental attitude since. The guys know they're playing for some marbles now. I won't concede anything because I love the talent this team brings to the floor. If we don't get bit by the injury bug I think this is going to be fun and we'll make some noise in the Big 12.

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
I am ready, but I don't see how the team can be ready. One game against Yale since December 19 does not prepare you for Big 12 play. They should have scheduled a game for this weekend. While ISU is sitting idle Kansas is playing Temple.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Everyone should be ready to move on and get rid of that bowl game hangover. I'm also ready to see this team play with a little effort, they've just gone through the motions for the most part. Maybe Big 12 play will wake these guys up.