Royce White prepared to leave NBA

Rex

Nov 3, 2011
Ames
Maybe his anxiety will kick in and he won't be able to go in the meeting and therefore cannot quit...

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Even more amazing Fred was able to get a productive season out of him. Says something about the staff. Can you imagine how well LE would have handled Royce.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ugh, royce.

If this ends up being the result than its damn unfortunate he didn't stay at ISU where he seemed to have his anxiety under control.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Royce White‏@Highway_30 I'm not PLANNING on quitting, but its between my HEALTH and BASKETBALL, health takes precedence. You should never choose ANYTHING over it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I forget Royce is still just 21 years old, sometimes. He has a ton of demands on him, some of his own doing, but still far more than the average 21-year old. I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to get a buyout, follow his other dreams, and work at getting his illness under control in a different setting. Many young people make mistakes, it's just that most don't deal with losing the kind of $$ that Royce is.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
He was getting made fun of pretty bad on the Sacramento, CA sports station I was streaming today. Public opinion of him is pretty damn low right now. I even named my dog Royce, I'm pretty disappointed in the way he's been carrying himself lately.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Royce White‏@Highway_30 I'm not PLANNING on quitting, but its between my HEALTH and BASKETBALL, health takes precedence. You should never choose ANYTHING over it.

I really don't understand this whole thing. It's not like he had NO IDEA what he was getting himself into when he signed up. I am highly doubtful that he ever sees the floor for an NBA team. Not really sure why the hurry to leave ISU with the mindset that he now seems to have...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

See, this is why you shouldn't go to psychiatrists...they'll fill you full of bs like this.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
Sounds like Houston wants him to work with a team doctor and he wants to work with his own guy. You think Houston would let him use whichever doctor helped him at ISU.

Rex

Nov 3, 2011
Ames
You mean Dr. Fred? Hoiberg must have babysat this kid all year last year so he didnt do something like this.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
This hurts FH and relations with the NBA, because he pulled some major strings to get Royce to that position and throwing down the drain. Hurts the Rockets, hurts the Cyclones and hurts himself. Just wow.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If he's deciding he can't, or doesn't want to do basketball anymore, that's fine I guess. Just sorta think he should have given it more thought before going through the draft last year. If it was even a possibility that he wasn't going to be able to go through with it he could have stayed in Ames and bought himself more time to work on that stuff. He was getting paid to get a college education. At least that would have been a success story for people with GAO whether he ever played another minute of college or pro ball.

Mental illness is serious business. Royce knows that better than anybody. Why did he take the leap to the Rockets when this was a forseeable result?

Help Support Us

Become a patron