Royce White - no-show in Italy

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, I thought it was strange in July when Royce signed a contract with an Italian league team, given the long flight required to get there etc. The Italian league is a GOOD league, much better than that minor league in Canada so it would have been a competitive challenge for him.

So, I checked and, lo and behold, Royce never reported for training camp and Fiat Torino has cancelled his contract. Now, they're in a tough spot because they have to find someone on short notice and most top players already have a place to play. Report from "NanoPress":

Fiat Torino fired Royce White, as the team announced.
White signed a one-year deal with Torino back in July but he did not show up for the training camp yet and Torino doesn’t want to wait him anymore.
Torino is on the market for a new player.

Here's a link to the article: https://sportando.basketball/en/cups/eurocup/286377/fiat-torino-fires-royce-white.html

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There are freighter and re-positioning cruises between North America and Europe that are not particularly expensive. They take much longer than air travel, obviously, but if Royce was not in a rush, there are other ways than going about it by air.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/boat-europe-63767.html

I just did a 12 hour flight from Tokyo-Narita to DFW. They suck.

Once you make a European port, the rail and bus system over there is robust.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
it's tough to keep pulling for Royce and have him piss it down his leg, time and time again. makes you wonder how he would have ever made it in the NBA even in a dream scenario right off the bat...

Royce is nothing more than a former cyclone athlete at this point. We want all of our "children" to be grown-ups and add to society and make us all proud but in the end it's our Cyclone family and like every other family, we have those that achieved, those that didn't, those that prospered and those that didn't.

For Royce - not sure how many second chances you can completely botch but I gotta believe he's just about out of basketball 2nd chances even for a guy who thinks he's be one of the best in the league today.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, I thought it was strange in July when Royce signed a contract with an Italian league team, given the long flight required to get there etc. The Italian league is a GOOD league, much better than that minor league in Canada so it would have been a competitive challenge for him.

So, I checked and, lo and behold, Royce never reported for training camp and Fiat Torino has cancelled his contract. Now, they're in a tough spot because they have to find someone on short notice and most top players already have a place to play. Report from "NanoPress":

Fiat Torino fired Royce White, as the team announced.
White signed a one-year deal with Torino back in July but he did not show up for the training camp yet and Torino doesn’t want to wait him anymore.
Torino is on the market for a new player.

Here's a link to the article: https://sportando.basketball/en/cups/eurocup/286377/fiat-torino-fires-royce-white.html

:(

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
i've followed him now for about a year, trying to ignore the crap that seems to surround him, in hopes to listen to his message...and at first, I was inclined to hear him because he seemed genuine and I felt his message was sound...

now, I feel like no matter who hears it, he doesn't feel their comprehension is good enough. I'm not convinced there's a way to satiate his need for acceptance and he appears very bitter over what may have very well been an unfair start in the NBA.

I say this with all respect to someone who admits to legitimate struggles and who may in fact be his own worst enemy despite his best efforts.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
i've followed him now for about a year, trying to ignore the crap that seems to surround him, in hopes to listen to his message...and at first, I was inclined to hear him because he seemed genuine and I felt his message was sound...

now, I feel like no matter who hears it, he doesn't feel their comprehension is good enough. I'm not convinced there's a way to satiate his need for acceptance and he appears very bitter over what may have very well been an unfair start in the NBA.

I say this with all respect to someone who admits to legitimate struggles and who may in fact be his own worst enemy despite his best efforts.

This where I'm at.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
There are freighter and re-positioning cruises between North America and Europe that are not particularly expensive. They take much longer than air travel, obviously, but if Royce was not in a rush, there are other ways than going about it by air.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/boat-europe-63767.html

I just did a 12 hour flight from Tokyo-Narita to DFW. They suck.

Once you make a European port, the rail and bus system over there is robust.
Is it possible that RW is on one of these right now, and it just hasn't arrived yet? /s

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

I'm with you here. Life doesn't deal everyone a fair hand (I'm intimately familiar with this) but you can't just shirk your responsibilities and blame the world for it. You've got to keep going and live your life.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is it possible that RW is on one of these right now, and it just hasn't arrived yet? /s

Obviously. :p

I was making the point that, if air travel were really the issue, there are (and always were) practical ways for Royce to get around it.

Even if going to another continent.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Bill Simmons had Mark Titus on his podcast last week and had a lengthy discussion about mental illness in sports. Royce White's name popped up very briefly. I think they did a good job highlighting the pitfalls of being either very ignorant of mental health issues or bending over backwards to players' mental health demands and the need for middle ground.

Sports is a pursuit that challenges people's mental toughness and it's almost impossible to make sport not have pressure and competition. That's not to say players can't be very successful with mental illness and the leagues shouldn't increase support and awareness. But I think it mostly has to be something a player overcomes (almost like a physical injury) rather than something that is accommodated.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I get the feeling he is afraid to try and potentially fail and at this point just not showing up is easier.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
When I watched him in TBT it seemed either his career was close to an end or he didn't want to be there at all.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Not enough talent over there. When you are as good as demarcous cousins, you need to be playing the best.

• Funny
Reactions: JBone84

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron