Roy Williams with KU logo

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I found it odd that Roy Williams sat in the crowd with a Jayhawk logo proudly displayed on his shirt. I understand he was there for 15 years, so he'd probably be pulling for KU, but I have to admit if UNI knocked ISU out of the tournament it would bother me to have McDermott sitting in the stands in a UNI t-shirt watching the next round. I just wanted to get everyone's take on this.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I found it odd that Roy Williams sat in the crowd with a Jayhawk logo proudly displayed on his shirt. I understand he was there for 15 years, so he'd probably be pulling for KU, but I have to admit if UNI knocked ISU out of the tournament it would bother me to have McDermott sitting in the stands in a UNI t-shirt watching the next round. I just wanted to get everyone's take on this.

Did he recruit all the seniors that are there now?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't really have an issue with it. If Chizik went to a Texas bowl game with a Longhorn logo on I don't think I'd throw a fit. He got his roots there so I have no problem with him showing support.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
If I was a UNC fan, I would not be happy about it... that's for sure.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That looked very inappropriate to me - very odd. Why does Roy feel the need to "win over" KU fans? He gave them very, very good years; that should be enough.
If I was a NC fan, it would bother me.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
UNC fans were absolutely going bananas on their boards about it - It was so insanely vile that most of the threads are now deleted about it.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
As he said in his interview, he had 11 former players there pulling for Kansas, along with recruiting two of the players that play for KU.

It's not like he was pulling for them to beat his UNC squad...

CyRide3

Jul 23, 2007
It did look odd, and he looked uncomfortable. IMO, he should have been wearing his Carolina Blue, but still support his former team. He might have recruited the seniors, but he never coached them.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I don't see a problem with it.

Even the McD example. McD went to UNI and coached at UNI. If ISU was done for the season and UNI wasn't and McD wanted to support UNI, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It is his Alma Mater.

Now, if ISU LOST in the tournament to UNI, I might be annoyed but I still think it is all in good sportsmanship.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I think it was nice. I'm sure he still has a ton of friends at KU and wanted to show his support. I actually think any UNC fan that is upset at this should realize Williams did have a past prior to UNC.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
He should have showed his support privately and NOT publicly. IMO: it was bad taste

-keep.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I don't think it was a bad decision on his part. KU was 14-15 yrs of his life so a little respect shown by him should not cause a big stir. The bad blood by North Carolina fans was probably more due to the spanking they took at the hands of Kansas more then their coach's actions. If he was sitting in the crowd with a Duke logo if Duke made it to the Championship game, then that's just a whole different can of worms that I wouldn't want to be in the middle of but would be fun to watch....

im4iast8

Mar 25, 2008
Ames
i was waiting for this thread to get started...

i kind of have mixed feelings about this... from what i heard last night, ku fans are still kind of mad that he left. if rich rodriguez showed back up at wv wearing wv clothes, would fans be all better just to see him wearing wv stuff???

on the other side, i realize that he had deep roots with ku, and i do like to see that he still supports his old team...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
This is a tough one. I think it was a little disrespectful to North Carolina for him to do that. He'd have less flack if he would have sat in the KU section with a North Carolina shirt.

I have to think if Dan McCarney would have ever gone to an Iowa bowl game and worn Iowa colors that half the people on this board would have called for his head on a platter.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
This is a tough one. I think it was a little disrespectful to North Carolina for him to do that. He'd have less flack if he would have sat in the KU section with a North Carolina shirt.

I have to think if Dan McCarney would have ever gone to an Iowa bowl game and worn Iowa colors that half the people on this board would have called for his head on a platter.

I think that situation is a bit different. Iowa and ISU are bitter rivals. KU and NC are rivals to some extent, but not in the same way. I think the Duke and NC comparison would be closer.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
i was waiting for this thread to get started...

i kind of have mixed feelings about this... from what i heard last night, ku fans are still kind of mad that he left. if rich rodriguez showed back up at wv wearing wv clothes, would fans be all better just to see him wearing wv stuff???

on the other side, i realize that he had deep roots with ku, and i do like to see that he still supports his old team...

Not sure that is the case with most of them that were in San Antonio for the Final Four.

Our coach was at a restaurant that was designated as the Kansas "hangout." Apparently Roy Williams walked by on Friday night. When all the Kansas fans noticed, they applauded and sang "Rock Chalk Jayhawk."

Doesn't sound too upset to me...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I just don't see it as any big deal, and in fact it shows some good sportsmanship imo. UNC fans need to be thankful that Roy left Kansas and brought them a national championship, not show their insecurity by being upset because Roy still has good friends at Kansas and isn't afraid to show his support for that school after UNC was out of the tournament.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron