Roundup: Recapping a somber Saturday

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +5,021 / 172 / -0
  2. Rickybaby

Rickybaby Active Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Chris ... "Somber Saturday" why the Debbie Downer ? Look, nobody ever expected us to get this far. Not even close. We had a great year; especially by recent standards.

And we got beat by Kentucky ... so what. They are the best team in America and have talent on another level ... the NBA level. Their talent is better than ours and everybody else's too. So we lost ... but we were in this game and the final score was not reflective of the competitiveness of it. It was tied 42 all and the game was there for the taking ... then they hit something like 6 3pters in a row. Who does that? Not even us. And they are not even a very good 3pt shooting team. Have they done anything like that all year? Nope. Totally unexpected. We played their all NBA front line to a standstill. Or should I say Royce did. Yet, one-on-four and we still out played them. Royce jammed it down their throat and so did Chris Allen and Scotty took it to the rim and so did Bubu. We kicked their all 5* Micky D front line in the teeth. Kinda had too because we couldn't buy anything from 3pt line. The point is we played tough, never got out-hustled or played with our heads down. We lost but didn't get beat. Yes, there is a difference.

I am so proud of this team; Royce and everyone else. I thank all of them for the great ride this year.

3. cycfan1

cycfan1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +150 / 11 / -0
    'Somber Saturdays' were my Saturdays in March the last 7 seasons.

Nothing to be disappointed with yesterday.

4. zmanzbo

zmanzbo Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ratings:
    +68 / 4 / -0
    Great post totally agree.

5. cyclonepower

cyclonepower Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2006
    WDM
    Ratings:
    +275 / 22 / -0
    Its not Somber because we lost to UK, its that we had a lot of fun enjoying the ride since January 1st and everyone is bummed the season is now over...

6. Balls

Balls Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    DeNver, IA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0
    Agreed, in that we played well and competed against the best. Good sign for Fred and the future of this program. I'm sure after yesterday the bar has been raised by Fred for this program and he'll deliver. I'm glad we faced KU, competed, and the entire program... coaches, players, fans... can be very proud of this season. Nothing to be down about.

7. CYCLONECORY

CYCLONECORY Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Huxley, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    and because we lost Royce, that makes me somber.

8. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +203 / 4 / -0
    Agree 100%. We had the gameplan we needed to have last night, Freddy wrote up exactly what we needed to do on the defensive end. We shut down their inside scorers, and Babb completely locked down Kidd-Gilchrist. Even with all of that going our way they STILL had enough talent to blow us out of the water by outshooting us from the perimeter. They defended our perimeter game well, and even when we were open we couldn't buy a three. They were absolutely on fire from 3, and they aren't even a strong 3 point shooting team. Just goes to show how stacked they are, and I think anybody who matches up with them realized from last night even if you take away their bread and butter and one of their scorers, you will still have to have the offensive night of your life to beat them. Too much NBA talent stacked against us last night, and I'm still damn proud of what this team accomplished this season.

Way to go Scotty and Allen. Even if Royce decides to leave for what could be greener pastures, he was a pleasure to watch this year and will always be a great ambassador for our program as well.

9. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +12,180 / 330 / -0
    It's somber because we cared and it mattered. I don't mind it on that end, because it means that we had a good season again, and most of the good seasons end with a painful defeat. It's like that for everyone.

It's a lot better than the slow death march to the end of the season, wondering if the guys will come back, and wondering if people will buy tickets next year.

10. Cincyclone

Cincyclone Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -0
    Don't jump to conclusions

11. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I always want to win and I was disappointed as the game got out of hand. But once it was over I just smiled thinking about what a great privilege it was for me to be sitting in the stands all season and rooting for this team. To see them evolve as a team and to see how well they represented ISU this season was really something special.

Disappointed that we weren't playing in the Sweet 16? Sure. But somber? Definitely not. Optimistic about the future of this program? Absolutely.

12. CYCLONECORY

CYCLONECORY Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Huxley, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Don't be stupid.... he dominated the best players in the country on the biggest stage.

13. DMICyclone

DMICyclone Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Student
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    What the **** are you even smoking. God damn it I will say it one more time. If Royce stays he will be the number 1 overall pick next year.

14. DMICyclone

DMICyclone Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Student
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Do you know a single thing about the NBA draft? I'll hang up and listen.

15. CYCLONECORY

CYCLONECORY Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Huxley, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    No, but I watched him dominate the best players coming out in the draft, he was the best player against UCONN and Kentucky and we all know that, there were hundreds of scouts in attendance. Apparently you don't know a lot about the draft, teams usually select the best player.... he was clearly that the last two games. Also, did you listen to Fred in the postgame? I'm 99% sure he's gone. That's it. Don't get mad at me he's leaving.
    :realmad::realmad::realmad:

16. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    Ratings:
    +446 / 7 / -0
    Completely agree!

17. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +5,021 / 172 / -0

18. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +5,021 / 172 / -0

19. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +5,021 / 172 / -0
    BTW. ..Posting from my phone right now. Looks like I posted the wrong link earlier. Roundup is currently featured on the front page.