Roster Changes and Jersey Numbers`

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Can someone explain to me why we continue to see jersey number changes for players?

I assume this is because they'll be on the field with someone who has their number, but we have what, 90 numbers to pick from, and 65 players suited for each game, why would we have two #4 on the field at the same time?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Can someone explain to me why we continue to see jersey number changes for players?

I assume this is because they'll be on the field with someone who has their number, but we have what, 90 numbers to pick from, and 65 players suited for each game, why would we have two #4 on the field at the same time?

Players may have allegiances to certain numbers or they may have a special meaning to them. Also, I don’t think you can have 2 players with same number on the field at same time, so like one must be an offensive player and the other defensive.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale

Players may have allegiances to certain numbers or they may have a special meaning to them. Also, I don’t think you can have 2 players with same number on the field at same time, so like one must be an offensive player and the other defensive.
On my HS team, they made us arm wrestle if two guys wanted the same number....

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The players usually get to pick the number they want. And usually as the season goes on and the coaches tweek the special teams squads some of those numbers might cause conflicts in which case you get a number change. Not a big deal.

And there isn't 65 players suited for a home game more like 120. Heck 70 players are on the travel squad that goes to the hotel the night before the game.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I had to look it up because at the Tulsa home game I saw a ton of #12 jersey's and I see that is Sam richardson's # so I take that's who most fans want to be the next qb's. Are we Iowa where the favorite qb is the backup? Where is the jersey love by fans for Jantz?

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I'm still not sure why the keep putting Steele Jantz in at corner. Shouldn't he be making adjustments with Messingham on the sidelines when the defense is on the field?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I had to look it up because at the Tulsa home game I saw a ton of #12 jersey's and I see that is Sam richardson's # so I take that's who most fans want to be the next qb's. Are we Iowa where the favorite qb is the backup? Where is the jersey love by fans for Jantz?

Those jerseys were handed out with student tickets. Think "what year is it".

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm still not sure why the keep putting Steele Jantz in at corner. Shouldn't he be making adjustments with Messingham on the sidelines when the defense is on the field?

He also seems to play much smaller when he's out there on D.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

And they all look like women's jerseys.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The players usually get to pick the number they want. And usually as the season goes on and the coaches tweek the special teams squads some of those numbers might cause conflicts in which case you get a number change. Not a big deal.

Bingo.

Aaron Horne (3) and Ken Lynn (3) were on the same special teams unit, so Lynn switched to #6.

Jeremy Reeves (5) and Ja'Quarius Daniels (5) were on the same special teams unit, so Daniels switched to #88.

I think Ryan Baum wore 3 different numbers in the first 3-4 games one season, until they got all of the special teams lineups hammered out.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
I think there should be 1 of every number, 00-99. Top 100 players get numbers for every game.....guy slacks off in practice he loses his number to someone whos been practicing well.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
Hell yes, serious.

I'm 53 buddy, get your own number

Exactly. Been wondering how some don't get this. I wish my hs would have done this.

But then again, I have been trying to figure out everyones incorrect use of then and than too. I had a rule nazi for english teacher (30yrs ago)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron