Roster breakdown, by class

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
For what it's worth, here is the roster breakdown for Iowa State by class. It might give some insight into talent level and plans for the future:
Freshman: 34
RS Fresh: 10
Sophs: 6
RS Sophs 21
Jrs: 9
RS Jrs: 14
Seniors: 11
RS Senior: 6

It appears previous coach redshirted players who have seen little if any playing time in any capacity. One noted Junior who might get an extra season is Kennard Banks, IF, he wants or can get a medical redshirt. I don't see Chizik redshirting players unless he feels they will contribute in a substancial way. Just my opinion.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I think most coaches redshirt players that they don't think will contribute their freshman year. That extra year of conditioning and practice can go a long ways, especially for linemen. If most of your linemen didn't redshirt their first year then you are probably in trouble.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
There should be reason for optimism for the future. After yesterday I am excited about ISU football again.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This team is a joy for me to watch and I really like how the staff is positioning the classes for the future. Hopefully we get another solid class this year and keep the talent level on the rise.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
curious if anyone knows how many of the latest class have been redshirted and will play as RS freshmen next year? and what positions?

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
All I expected to see this season was progress and I have seen more than I expected. I am genuinely excited about the future of Cyclone Football!

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Putting it into perspective as to what ISU is losing after this season.

Noteable seniors this season
***Offense***
WR-Sumrall
RB-Bass/Scales
OL-Doug Dedrick

***Defense***
DL-Taylor
LB-Bibbs
DB-Hunley(S)/Singleton(CB)

About the same number of guys currently making big contributions are juniors. If progression occurs with the young kids and Chiz can get a few more solid recruit classes then 2009,and 2010 could be a couple very strong teams.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I'm glad we have a lot of returners, but we still need a big improvement in talent. Chizik did so the first year of recruiting and I have no doubt he can do it again.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Great post, thanks for the breakdown. Where are the up and coming run stuffers? Fresh, Soph, Junior, Senior.. don't care... we need them if this coach is to take us to the 'next' level.

-keep

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Great post, thanks for the breakdown. Where are the up and coming run stuffers? Fresh, Soph, Junior, Senior.. don't care... we need them if this coach is to take us to the 'next' level.

-keep

Agree completely...our defensive line really needs help..a really big guy in the middle, and some tigers for DE's. And our linebacking corps need help.