***Rose Bowl***

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
lol, you're not even going to account for how much harder of a bowl lineup the Big 10 had than the Big 12? Alrighty then, good talk.

Big 10 played teams ranked: 2, 9, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 in the final playoff rankings

Big 12 played teams ranked: 10, 14

This is why bowl results is always a dumb argument. The Big 10 went for money over wins (as usual) and assembled what is annually the hardest or second hardest (depending on how many SEC teams made the New Years Six bowl games) schedule of bowl games. And just about every year they lose more than they win

You're not doing it right.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
At what point does the committee stop putting big 10 teams in bowls they don't deserve? They have only finished above .500 ONCE in the last decade of post season games.

Good question. Another one is- how long do Iowa fans continue to spend good money to to see the Chokeyes lose a bowl game they should not be in?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
lol??? After you B10 guys crucified the B12 after our bowl performance last year? It goes both ways.

Besides, you're making another point I've always asserted. The B10 is overrated and overhyped every year courtesy of the media markets the conference is in. You don't earn those bowl bids. You're not good enough.

I encourage you to go out and check conference bowl records for the B8, B10, and B12 if you really want to face reality.

Just because you say the B10 defenses are juggernauts doesn't make it so.

I'm fairly certain I didn't crucify anyone, nor did I say the Big 10 defenses were juggernauts, so now that we've knocked down those two strawmen you built, we can move on to the matter at hand.

You don't seem to understand the concept that each conference's bowl lineup isn't equal. If you expect a conference that plays 8 ranked teams to have as good of a record as a conference that plays 2 ranked teams, then you have some faulty logic.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
whenever I watch USC, I make my mind believe that it's really ISU playing. That makes it more fun for me.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I'm fairly certain I didn't crucify anyone, nor did I say the Big 10 defenses were juggernauts, so now that we've knocked down those two strawmen you built, we can move on to the matter at hand.

You don't seem to understand the concept that each conference's bowl lineup isn't equal. If you expect a conference that plays 8 ranked teams to have as good of a record as a conference that plays 2 ranked teams, then you have some faulty logic.

Except the conferences try to make the actual games equal by putting fourth place vs fourth place, etc.

Conferences won't enter into bowl agreements if they don't feel the pairings are similar. B1G just flat didn't perform this bowl season and were outgunned by teams from other conferences that finished in similar standings. Ranked or not teams that played each other had almost identical overall and conference records.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

You played too tough of teams for your level of football, everyone understands that.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
lol, you're not even going to account for how much harder of a bowl lineup the Big 10 had than the Big 12? Alrighty then, good talk.

Big 10 played teams ranked: 2, 9, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 in the final playoff rankings

Big 12 played teams ranked: 10, 14

This is why bowl results is always a dumb argument. The Big 10 went for money over wins (as usual) and assembled what is annually the hardest or second hardest (depending on how many SEC teams made the New Years Six bowl games) schedule of bowl games. And just about every year they lose more than they win

The average Sagarin rating of Big 10 bowl opponents is 24.

The average Sagarin rating of Big 12 bowl opponents is 27.

The schedules were of similar strength.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA

In the words of Obama... C'mon man. You've been on this board a long time and you know exactly what your B10 brethren assert.

You have a choice to make. Either the B10 defenses aren't all that, or the conference is grossly overrated. IMO both.

It's not like the W/L records or defensive averages were just a little different. Same applies to the long term conference bowl records.

And I say that fully acknowledging the B10 was the best its been in years. East division anyway.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Except the conferences try to make the actual games equal by putting fourth place vs fourth place, etc.

Conferences won't enter into bowl agreements if they don't feel the pairings are similar. B1G just flat didn't perform this bowl season and were outgunned by teams from other conferences that finished in similar standings. Ranked or not teams that played each other had almost identical overall and conference records.

Oh ********. It's impossible for them to do so without them knowing years in advance how many from each league will get selected to the New Years Six bowls games. This year the big 10 got 4 of the 12 slots. That's followed by Pac 12, SEC, and ACC with 2 each and the Big 12 and MAC one each. So the Big 10 had two more teams qualify than any other league but you think that wouldn't have a trickle down affect?

Take Iowa for example, who just played either the 2nd best (in terms of record) or 3rd best (in terms of rankings) team in the SEC. Iowa was the 5th best team in the Big 10.

Now with Iowa's crappy offense, the SEC probably could have sent their 5th best team and won anyway, but they didn't.