Rory Walling's special teams play-of-the-year

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It wasn’t just him. He made the tackle, but everyone diagnosed that fake. You can see at least two or three other Cyclones go to cover a guy.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I've met his folks on a few occasions. Great people. Serious Cyclone fans. Loved sitting with them at the Kansas game. They are just as loud in cheering for other unsung players too.

I worked several years with rory's mom. Seeing how much she puts into her work with special ed students, it's easy to see where rory gets his work ethic from. I was celebrating at home both of his tackles and shared his background with my wife

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I thought this play just epitomized the difference between ISU and a Texas.

After the game Mensa was asked about the call. He indicated they had confidence and worked on it for 2 weeks.

Interesting that Texas thought they needed a hard core fake punt play for ISU. And for 2 weeks they work on one play that in best case scenario has a 50/50 chance of working. Meanwhile, back at the woodshop, CMC is teaching young men to master the fundamentals on every play, stay in your lane, here's how your tackle, etc.

Result. Arrogant, needles gamble by glamour coach squashed by blue collar, confident football team.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Went to school with his dad, John. He and his wife raised a great kid who has worked his tail off. Not for some glory position and all the accolades. But to make the team and to do his part in trying to help this team win. That is 5 star culture. So glad he was out there busting his hump along with all the other players. Lee Township against the world. That won’t mean anything to all of you but it will to John and Rory.