Ron Maly is delusional

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
Did you say he was retired or ********? He must be a jerk to post this blog? It is going to take some time for Chizik to build our program. It was very condescending, mocking us throughout. Perhaps, he doesn't think any Cyclones know the definition of sarcasm? He's a Hawkeye, and he's worried. I'm glad because he should be worried!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Why is he being such an *** about this whole thing????

Geezz... it was so over ladden with sarcasm and knifes taht it was very disturbing to read.

==> Get off of your horse Ron.
==> Stop throwing rocks
==> Remember you are only a Hawkeye fan
==> Be happy (without sarcasm)
==> Find a hole.

- keep.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
im sick of listening to hawk fans who when asked what they think of our new coach there only response is "he'll never win at iowa state" give me a break. pollard is obviously got his objectives in line and is willing to use whatever resources necessary for our new coach to win. be afraid herky. be very afraid.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ok, those who want to bash Maly you have every right to state your own opinion just like he does. All I ask is that instead of pulling out 1 or 2 blog posts of his that you don't agree with is you go back through his archives and find all the good and bad he has written about both the Cyclones and Hawks before you label him an ISU hater. He is not anti-ISU, I know this from several discussions over the past couple years with him. Yes he is a Hawk fan first but he's not a bitter Hawk fan that wishes the worst for ISU. Ironic how we have posters here that wish the worst for Iowa (I'm guilty myself at times) but funny when the shoe is on the other foot and someone writes something about our Cyclones that we don't agree with and you have a problem with that.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
Ok, those who want to bash Maly you have every right to state your own opinion just like he does. All I ask is that instead of pulling out 1 or 2 blog posts of his that you don't agree with is you go back through his archives and find all the good and bad he has written about both the Cyclones and Hawks before you label him an ISU hater. He is not anti-ISU, I know this from several discussions over the past couple years with him. Yes he is a Hawk fan first but he's not a bitter Hawk fan that wishes the worst for ISU. Ironic how we have posters here that wish the worst for Iowa (I'm guilty myself at times) but funny when the shoe is on the other foot and someone writes something about our Cyclones that we don't agree with and you have a problem with that.

You could help prove your point by linking a few positive posts of Maly's. I admit, based on this one and a couple others linked here in the past, I can understand the opinion that everyone else here seems to share.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You could help prove your point by linking a few positive posts of Maly's. I admit, based on this one and a couple others linked here in the past, I can understand the opinion that everyone else here seems to share.

You can't directly link specific articles he has but there is an archive section you can browse by months. Check out Oct 15th for an article where he's basically taking a shot at his Hawks after the embarrasing Indiana loss if you need an example how he is equal-opportunity with criticism. He even called Iowa going to the Alamo Bowl at the end of that blog post! In hindsight that was a pretty good guess, ha! He writes about everything really, after all it is "just" a blog. All sports, local stories and current events, and even rips on the rag now and then. I probably check his blog once a week if I get a chance but I have seen several pro-ISU articles over the past couple years.

My best advice: EMAIL HIM. He'll reply back and may even ask to use your comments in an upcoming blog post. If you still think of him the same way after emailing with him then that's your opinion but I think you'll be surprised with your perceived views of him isn't how he is.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
You can't directly link specific articles he has but there is an archive section you can browse by months. Check out Oct 15th for an article where he's basically taking a shot at his Hawks after the embarrasing Indiana loss if you need an example how he is equal-opportunity with criticism. He even called Iowa going to the Alamo Bowl at the end of that blog post! In hindsight that was a pretty good guess, ha! He writes about everything really, after all it is "just" a blog. All sports, local stories and current events, and even rips on the rag now and then. I probably check his blog once a week if I get a chance but I have seen several pro-ISU articles over the past couple years.

My best advice: EMAIL HIM. He'll reply back and may even ask to use your comments in an upcoming blog post. If you still think of him the same way after emailing with him then that's your opinion but I think you'll be surprised with your perceived views of him isn't how he is.

Thanks! In the future, you might link his positive and neutral posts when they're current. I would definitely prefer to focus on the positive and I'll give him a pass on this one, since you defend him so adamantly.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Bashing the Hawks for losing to Indy is like taking a shot at ISU after the Baylor loss. It's deserved. I know we've had this argument before travman, but, he is taking potshots at ISU for no reason here. I don't think anywhere ISU is expecting these kinds of results. It's another blatant example of Hawk fans not being able to say anything bad about our hire, so, they've now turned the attention to the fans and what we are expecting from Chizik or how quickly he'll dump us for another school. I know you love this guy and revere him for some reason. I know it's on his blog, so, I won't call it irresponsible, but, this article stinks and is a blatent slap in the face to ISU fans everywhere. Just because he slams the Hawks for losing to Indiana, doesn't make it all right for him to make fun of ISU for, what some believe, could be the best hire at football that ISU has ever made. You want my opion on the guy, he's an old blow hard who can't stand not having attention like he used to. So now, he writes these types of articles to get that attention. I'm sorry, but, this was a stupid article with no real point other than to mock ISU and what we want as fans.

The one thing I would love, is if people could drop the subject of Chizik and ISU unless they have some real facts to publish. At least let us take one snap with this guy as our head coach, before everyone starts telling us how bad things are going to turn out, or how stupid we were for hiring the guy. At least find somewhere that we are establishing those kind of outlandish goals for this coach before you make fun of us for having high expectations. To be honest, the only things I have read as far as expectations has really been the media. Yeah, we have hopes, but, I think we are all pretty realistic on the fact that it could take a few years to see the real potential of Chizik.

Most of all, please quit defending a guy who writes this kind of garbage. Nothing has been taken out of context here. This is the article he wrote. I don't care if he got a Pulitzer yesterday, he still wrote this today and we can react to it however we wish. It may be a blog, it may be just one article out of 20 that he wrote mocking ISU, but, he still did it and we still have just as much right to complain about it as he does to write the garbage. We have the right to perceive him as we wish. We shouldn't have to email him to get a better view of him. If he wants us to view him better, then he should quit slamming ISU for something that isn't even true. Quit basing so much on his own opinion and love for the Hawks and actually give us some credit for once.

To be honest, I could have given a darn about this article. I wasn't even going to post until, once again, I see you defending him. This is the second article of this type he has written in the last month, yet, we are all supposed to have a different perception of the guy. Why? Why don't you email him and tell him we don't like him. If he really cares, he'll quit writing garbage articles that are a blatant bash on ISU and our intelligence as football fans. Or better yet, email him and tell him, "Well, you are getting the attention you were looking for!"

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Why should I write him to let him know that YOU don't like his writing. Why don't you do that since you seem to think all he does is bash the Cyclones? It's not my job to relay your rants, you have email so use it and let him know what you think instead of trashing someone you don't seem to know much about here where he probably doesn't even see it. People talk big here but how many of you actually take action? It's sort of like what Jeremy says all the time about how people are quick to criticise here yet how many of them take action or contribute to ISU's cause? If you don't like what Ron says then I'm sure he'd be glad that you email him and let him know what you think instead of going to a message board and ranting about him when the only time you've probably ever read his blog were the 2 recent articles that were posted here.

I'm not asking that you like his writing. What I am saying is that people are quick to call him a Cyclone hater and make it out like all he does is write bad things about ISU when that is not true at all. That is why I defend him because I read his blog regularly and know that a lot of the acusations made by some posters are not true.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I love this quote. "Yes he is a Hawk fan first but he's not a bitter Hawk fan that wishes the worst for ISU."

I've yet to meet a true Hawk fan that wouldn't love to see ISU fail every year and I'm fine with that. It's the Hawk fan that says he "roots for ISU when they're not playing Iowa" is the type you have to keep na eye on.

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
Ron Maly is not delusional, he's a bitter old Hawk; happy with a Hawkeye dominated state of Iowa, but nervous when the little university in the middle of the state begins to make some moves and show some attitude that may threaten that. He fears change.

Maybe he doesn't hate ISU, but what is the point of trying to shoot down optimism. We hired a new coach and we are happy with him. If he isn't able to win here, we will eventually get tired of him. If he starts putting us in Big 12 championship games we will be ecstatic. That's the nature of the beast. There are going to be numerous new coaches around the NCAA this year. Do you think fans from all these schools are pathetic for hoping their new coach is able to win many games for them? Who are you to try to insult us for having a hope that our new coach can lead us to places we've never been.

Dan McCarney should be a legend at ISU for where he lead us, but it was pretty obvious that we had peaked under his leadership. 26-67 in the Big 12 is nothing to hang your hat on. The change in expectations that he brought about is. But it was time to move on, time to find that coach to take the next step. We thank McCarney for all he has done for ISU, but don't try to tell us that no coach can do any better here. Where was FSU before Bowden got there, where was Rutgers before Schiano got there? I find it hard to believe that within the borders of a country that started out as a little colony which tore itself loose from one of the dominant powers of the time and has built itself into the most powerful country in the world, we are supposed to rest on past laurels and accept our current position without aiming for more...

Maybe that's what the Hawks want for ISU. Maybe that's what the Register wants and maybe that's what Mr. Maly wants. But you can talk down to us and thumb your nose at us all you want, those tactics just don't work anymore. The Cyclone nation is rising up like we never have before, demanding excellence and respect. And if we are not given it, we are determined to take it. Maybe it will never happen. Maybe this will all blow up in our face, years down the road. But people like Ron Maly aren't going to silence us or deter us.

And that was the point of the article. What other point could there be to an article which blatantly points a weak attempt at sarcasm towards ISU optimism. It's petty and sad. If someone I know gets a new job, I'll let him be happy with it, rather than sarcastically talk about how he better make six figures and get three weeks vacation time and be promoted to CEO within a year. Coach Chizik has done nothing wrong at ISU, so all Mr. Maly has to attack is fan's optimism. In years past, maybe the fans would have bowed to that, but not anymore. It makes you look like a bitter old man, Mr. Maly, typing away in your basement trying to play the Grinch. But try as you might, we're still aiming for the sky.

Sorry for the length.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Why should I write him to let him know that YOU don't like his writing. Why don't you do that since you seem to think all he does is bash the Cyclones? It's not my job to relay your rants, you have email so use it and let him know what you think instead of trashing someone you don't seem to know much about here where he probably doesn't even see it. People talk big here but how many of you actually take action? It's sort of like what Jeremy says all the time about how people are quick to criticise here yet how many of them take action or contribute to ISU's cause? If you don't like what Ron says then I'm sure he'd be glad that you email him and let him know what you think instead of going to a message board and ranting about him when the only time you've probably ever read his blog were the 2 recent articles that were posted here.

I'm not asking that you like his writing. What I am saying is that people are quick to call him a Cyclone hater and make it out like all he does is write bad things about ISU when that is not true at all. That is why I defend him because I read his blog regularly and know that a lot of the acusations made by some posters are not true.

I won't email him because I don't care about his writing. As I said, I wasn't going to comment on it at all until I saw you once again defending him as not a Cyclone basher. Yet, this article plain and simple is mocking ISU and our optimism.

Am I really quick to judge. I guess I am, these are the only two articles I've read and because of them I consider him and ISU basher. Why, because he is. Let's look at this another way. Let's say this was a race issue. Even though the guy wrote 300 articles that were in no way racist, yet, his latest two used slurrs and stereotypical comments to bash on another race of people. Would he not then be racist? You are defined by your latest work. This was the latest thing of his I read and personally, I find him to be an idiot. It doesn't matter what he's done in the past, this article was blatently a slam on my beloved University. In no way does it hold the importance racism or offend me, but, none the less, it doesn't change the fact that he just bashed ISU.