Ron Maly disses 2010 MBB

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
The man was fired by the DM Register for plagiarism. Now he makes a living as a hawkeye shill. What more needs to be said?

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
You know what. If you've read Ron Maly over the years, he's said a lot of good things about Iowa State.
And he probably will again someday.
But he's watched Greg Mcdermott coach for three years, and Maly knows a disaster when he's seen it.

relentless.....:skeptical:

Larry, I really hope your around at the end of the year so we can chat....:wink:

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I guess I'm not going to worry about what he says. At first I was a little upset but then I figured, he must not have ever been that successful or he'd be able to afford some dental work, a shave, and a haircut :biglaugh:

DJKHawk

Dec 22, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
The man was fired by the DM Register for plagiarism. Now he makes a living as a hawkeye shill. What more needs to be said?

Pretty sure he retired after a disagreement with the DMR's editor.

Regardless, I don't really have a high opinion of the guy. His writing style is ridiculous.

Every other sentence has to be italicized or bolded.

It's really annoying, yeah?

I think so.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Pretty sure he retired after a disagreement with the DMR's editor.

You're fired, no I retire....spin it that way if you wish, but it doesn't change what happened. I can't recall the exact phrases and quotes that were lifted from the Ames Tribune article, but the writer and sources both agreed that Maly was not present when the original comments were made. He would have been OK if he had acknowledged the Tribune as the source, but he tried to play it off as a scoop by the Register.

Usually when someone retires, they get a watch or at least a farewell luncheon rather than being told to clean out one's desk and turn in the keys.

fcmc

Mar 18, 2009
Urbandale
relentless.....:skeptical:

Larry, I really hope your around at the end of the year so we can chat....:wink:
I don't think everyone appreciates what a cream puff schedule we played last year. Even with a slightly improved team, our strength of schedule this year, is going to lead to a much worse record.
I'm very curious to see Chris Colvin play. After a year of hype, now that the kid is here, there doesn't seem to be much being said about him?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I don't think everyone appreciates what a cream puff schedule we played last year. Even with a slightly improved team, our strength of schedule this year, is going to lead to a much worse record.
I'm very curious to see Chris Colvin play. After a year of hype, now that the kid is here, there doesn't seem to be much being said about him?

Just to get it on record, what do you predict our record to be this year?

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: How about this: if we have a "much worse record" than last year none of us will ever post on here again that have been saying otherwise, but if we have a better record than last year you go away and stop soiling every thread you post in. Deal?

Reactions: sands4cy

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Hey Ron Maley.....what about this????

Some teams thrive in the absence of expectations. Iowa is about to find out if it's one of those teams.
After seeing their No. 1 and No. 3 scorers transfer to other Division I schools at season's end, watching two other veterans transfer to Div. II schools and seeing their No. 1 rebounder graduate, the Hawkeyes head into the 2009-10 season with just 10 scholarship players and two walk-ons. Sophomore guard Matt Gatens (10.8 points per game) and senior guard Devan Bawinkel (51 3-pointers) are the only guys who played the entire year and averaged at least 20 minutes for the 15-17 Hawks.
Now throw in the fact that Iowa's roster shows just one senior and two juniors in a year when the Big Ten is loaded with top-flight juniors and seniors who've led their programs to the NCAA Tournament. No wonder third-year coach Todd Lickliter doesn't quarrel with the idea that his team's preseason residence is the Big Ten's basement.

sands4cy

Sep 12, 2009
i dont see how u can pick the clones to not get better this year they lost 5players that i can think of and 2 came in as walkons 1 should of never been at D-1 and the other 2 were just ok at best role players we didnt lose much and we got some new players who r bigger faster and can jump higher have not seen them play yet so idk if they can shoot but the stats say they can so idk how u can think we will not b better

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
i dont see how u can pick the clones to not get better this year they lost 5players that i can think of and 2 came in as walkons 1 should of never been at D-1 and the other 2 were just ok at best role players we didnt lose much and we got some new players who r bigger faster and can jump higher have not seen them play yet so idk if they can shoot but the stats say they can so idk how u can think we will not b better

Not one period. Amazing.

fcmc

Mar 18, 2009
Urbandale
I'll bet he'll never say Lickliter is a disaster, because I'm sure there are good reasons why all his players transferred. You don't need to kiss Maly's ***, I doubt he would be caught dead on here, and I've never read anything he has said that was positive about Iowa State, he left those articles for the interns.
Just to give you a taste of what he has written about Lickliter.

"Iowa has a strong basketball tradition, but is now in a down cycle. The Hawkeyes don't do very well in the Big Ten anymore, don't attract capacity crowds for their games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and now the athletic department is lowering the price of tickets. Things haven't been the same since Steve Alford brought the program to its knees with poor recruiting and poor coaching.

Lickliter hasn't helped matters. He hasn't had a winning season, and four of his players -- Jake Kelly, Jermain Davis, Jeff Peterson and David Palmer -- quit the program for one reason or another after last season."

Ron Maly's blog is pretty interesting. And it's very well written. There's a fair amount of news in it that you don't read anywhere else.
Mcdermott put a horrible, no talent basketball team on the floor last season, and until he shows he can do better than that, he deserves some criticism coming his way.

fcmc

Mar 18, 2009
Urbandale
Just to get it on record, what do you predict our record to be this year?
I'm pretty sure I already posted that on a schedule thread.
I believe it was 8 maybe 9 wins.
If they react badly to the horrible start they're going to have in the Big 12, it could be 3 or 4 less than that.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
If they react badly to the horrible start they're going to have in the Big 12, it could be 3 or 4 less than that.

Wow! Please clarify your post, do you mean 8 or 9 Big 12 wins or wins total?

I assume the former. But if not, I will gladly bet you a $1000 the Cyclones win more games than that this year. I would even give you 2 - 1 payout to sweeten the deal. There is no way in *$&# the Clones will only win 9 games total.

I read the Register's pages ocassionally; is your screename illtetky?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wow! Please clarify your post, do you mean 8 or 9 Big 12 wins or wins total?

I assume the former. But if not, I will gladly bet you a $1000 the Cyclones win more games than that this year. I would even give you 2 - 1 payout to sweeten the deal. There is no way in *$&# the Clones will only win 9 games total.

I read the Register's pages ocassionally; is your screename illtetky?

Although he's indicating a strong possibility of 5-6 wins for the season.

Don't underestimate the pessimism of a real idiot.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Just to give you a taste of what he has written about Lickliter.

"Iowa has a strong basketball tradition, but is now in a down cycle. The Hawkeyes don't do very well in the Big Ten anymore, don't attract capacity crowds for their games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and now the athletic department is lowering the price of tickets. Things haven't been the same since Steve Alford brought the program to its knees with poor recruiting and poor coaching.

Lickliter hasn't helped matters. He hasn't had a winning season, and four of his players -- Jake Kelly, Jermain Davis, Jeff Peterson and David Palmer -- quit the program for one reason or another after last season."

Ron Maly's blog is pretty interesting. And it's very well written. There's a fair amount of news in it that you don't read anywhere else.
Mcdermott put a horrible, no talent basketball team on the floor last season, and until he shows he can do better than that, he deserves some criticism coming his way.
Craig Brackins definitely has not talent.
:jimlad:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

If you're saying 8-9 wins total, than that's just silly. If you're saying 8-9 wins in the Big 12, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Is 8-9 wins a serious prediction, or you being some sort of sadistic satirist??

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron