Romo should not have gone to Cabo!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Manning lives in the film room like no other - he's by far the biggest student of the game today and most likely - ever. However on Sunday, he made mistakes that cost his team a chance to win.

Brady is just not human. His 2 incompletions can be credited to a bad no-call and a dumb drop by Welker. Otherwise, Brady would have been 100% on Saturday against a pretty good football team. The rest of the NFL should take notice - and collectively weep.

I laughed at people that tabbed Manning as a guy that couldn't win the big one just as I do with those saying the same things about Romo. There are 10 other guys on the field along side the quarterback and a plethora of others that see the field during the course of the game.

Frankly, I'm surprised Tony hasn't jumped off a building following the debacle in the playoffs last season. He does exactly what hundreds of coaches teach their players year in and year out - learn from your mistakes and then completely forget about them.

I have little doubt that Tony will be just fine. My biggest worries are the mental discipline that seems to be lacking in Dallas (as to be no surprised with Wade as HC) and the possible departure of a couple coaches - namely Garrett.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well, it's been great listening to the talk radio down here today... wow. I think this day each year is my absolute favorite for NOT being a Cowboys fan. :) ISUfan - don't know if you listen to anything during the day, but if you want Cowboys stuff, listen to 1033espn.com for talk radio or 1310 The Ticket... you'll actually appreciate it more than the pure comedy I get from it I'm sure...

I agree with you on the grounding call as well, however, it's so hard to argue with that penalty call because it's one of the more judgment directed penalties in the NFL. A ref is supposed to decide instantly if a player is within "the area" of the ball or if a quarterback is "intentionally" throwing the ball away. I heard the TV discussion as well, and agree that he shouldn't have been penalized. Do any of you remember the Bears-Vikings game from about a month ago where Kyle Orton was getting hit as he was throwing and the ball came up about 15 yds short of his intended WR and the refs called it grounding because there was no WR in the "area" and he was in the pocket. It's just so judgment based - hard to argue on instant judgment when we all get replay.

I still think the offense didn't play well enough, maybe just the 2nd half if you want to argue that, to win the game. I think the D played well enough. They only allowed, what, 57 yards in the 2nd half, 7 points...Dallas offense should have been able to score 8 at least to win!

Again, as we've come back to - the Cabo thing had nothing to do with this. That's just dumb.

Here's a question for ya: What's your opinion on changing what you've done all year by starting Barber (who everyone agrees is the better RB)? And should the Cowboys have come out firing and slinging the ball around the field like they did all season instead of running the ball and going for long, time possessing drives so that Eli had to take the team on his shoulders to win the game (by coming back from a bigger deficit than 7 pts)? Basically - the offense seemed to change what got them there, and the Giants played in the type of game that they can win...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I laughed at people that tabbed Manning as a guy that couldn't win the big one just as I do with those saying the same things about Romo. There are 10 other guys on the field along side the quarterback and a plethora of others that see the field during the course of the game.

The thing is Peyton and Brady both have won the big games now and Tony hasn't. I know he's still young but right now that's a pretty accurate statement.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Manning lives in the film room like no other - he's by far the biggest student of the game today and most likely - ever. However on Sunday, he made mistakes that cost his team a chance to win.

I have little doubt that Tony will be just fine. My biggest worries are the mental discipline that seems to be lacking in Dallas (as to be no surprised with Wade as HC) and the possible departure of a couple coaches - namely Garrett.

Agree with all of this, including the sarcasm. Add to that people wanted Eli coming into the NFL as good as his brother immediately, and yet it's only his 4th year, and lest we forget that this was Romo's first full season starting and played behind such NFL legends such as Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe (both of the last two were decent qbs, but not franchise builders to learn from)...he's a small school qb learning still how to play the speedy NFL game. He's going to be very good still (I don't like how his mechanics fail at times when he gets hurried, like his mis throw to TO over the middle that should've been a TD)
FYI - Garrett isn't going anywhere, IMO. He was hot the first half of the season, definitely tailed off, and yesterday's performance will not be a resume builder. Sparano is gone...

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
The thing is Peyton and Brady both have won the big games now and Tony hasn't. I know he's still young but right now that's a pretty accurate statement.

He's played A YEAR AND A HALF. He's only played TWO GAMES in the playoffs. Brady and Peyton are special. You can't compare these players to each other. And also - did anyone see that stat in the NY-Dal game where they compared Eli and Peyton's first 4 playoff seasons: Eli had better stats. So come on - we need to compare apples to apples.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
should the Cowboys have come out firing and slinging the ball around the field like they did all season instead of running the ball and going for long, time possessing drives so that Eli had to take the team on his shoulders to win the game (by coming back from a bigger deficit than 7 pts)? Basically - the offense seemed to change what got them there, and the Giants played in the type of game that they can win...

I wondered this as well. Why didn't they go deep? Here's a possibility. What if T.O. was a little more injured than he let on. I think Eric Allen, on ESPN News at halftime, said something about how it looked like T.O. was a little tenative off the line. They certainly didn't go his way much in the 2nd half. So, let's say T.O. was hurting. Maybe they didn't go deep because they couldn't? I realize they have Crayton on the other side, but that guy is inconsistent at best. I may be full of it, and I'm not so sure I believe it myself, but it's certainly a possibility.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
I don't think Cabo had much to do with the terrible o-line blocking by the c-boys in the 4th quarter.

Dallas's 4th quarter strategy was rather odd. The were only down one score, but pretty much abandoned the running game. On the other hand, while going to primarily a passing offense, and trying to hurry-up, that wasted a lot of time between snaps. I think going so one-dimensional hurt them, Barbar was having a good day. The Giants d-line was also able to tee-off, expecting a pass every down.

I think a huge amount of credit goes to the Giants d-line, the big (fat) Cowboys line can usually wear out other teams physically by the 4th quarter. But on sunday, I think they were gassed and the Giants d-line changed the game.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
It's definitely a possibility, but if he wasn't being effective, then get Hurd in there and have at least 3 healthy WRs plus Witten and keep throwing slants and 10 yd outs and such. I was just surprised how little they got the ball to the edges or over the middle in the playmaker's hands compared to the rest of the season.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think with the injuries Dallas was dealing with, the plan was to control the clock and wear the Giant defense out by running the ball. Plan was executed perfectly in the first half. Dallas went on a 10 minute drive. I mean, seriously - a ten minute drive.

Completely demoralizing for the Giants - team wide. Then, Dallas allowed a good runback on special teams further helped by a dumb personal foul penalty by Reeves. Tie game at half, momentum gone. Dallas gets the ball first in the 2nd half, goes on an eight minute drive. Looking perfect. Then Fasano drops a catch at the goal line on 2nd and 7. 3rd and 7 turns to 3rd and 12 with a false start penalty. And this is when the first real pressure starts by the Giant defense - Romo has Owens all alone in the middle of the field for an easy score - but is bull-rushed by the Giant defense and can't connect.

Field goal.

I did wonder very late in the game if going over-the-top early and often would've yielded better results. However, that would not have even crossed by mind if Dallas finishes the first half out and/or doesn't drop that pass on the first drive of the 2nd half.

The Cowboys let a good team hang around with them and got beat by doing so. Then late when the pressure was really on - they dropped a key pass or two, couldn't protect the quarterback and Romo tried to do too much a couple times - losing yards.

It was clear to me that Glenn wasn't ready to be out there - falling uncharacteristically twice - once almost resulting in a fumble and the other that should have been an easy interception. I think TO was healthy enough to play, but he wasn't 100%. He did have his man beat twice on a deep route. One, the defender made one helluva play to tip the ball away. The other, the ball was underthrown when Romo got pasted.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't think Cabo had much to do with the terrible o-line blocking by the c-boys in the 4th quarter.

Dallas's 4th quarter strategy was rather odd. The were only down one score, but pretty much abandoned the running game. On the other hand, while going to primarily a passing offense, and trying to hurry-up, that wasted a lot of time between snaps. I think going so one-dimensional hurt them, Barbar was having a good day. The Giants d-line was also able to tee-off, expecting a pass every down.

I think a huge amount of credit goes to the Giants d-line, the big (fat) Cowboys line can usually wear out other teams physically by the 4th quarter. But on sunday, I think they were gassed and the Giants d-line changed the game.

Barber was having a good day until the fourth quarter. They pretty much silenced Narner. They were putting the leather to the running game in addition to chasing Tony to the next county.

My take is from watching the qbs do their thing on the sidelines:

MATURE QBs: Eli, Peyton, Tom, Brett, Garrard
IMMATURE QBs: Phillip, Tony, maybe Matt

If you are the qb and jawing with fans, you look less likely to lead a team smartly. No one has a better approach than Brett, then Peyton.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron