Romo should not have gone to Cabo!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I was screaming at him both times he was sacked for big losses for not throwing it away. He was trying to make plays like the one to Witten, etc. Both times he was sacked for bit losses, Dallas overcame it. One on a great pass from Romo to convert on a long third down and the other on a defensive holding by the Giants.

IMO, the grounding call was crap as he just threw it away with no pressure - first time I've ever seen that called before - a QB just throwing it away inside the tackle box but had no pressure on him.

I hate Tony for throwing that interception on a 4th down with just second left and needing to make a play somehow. He should have just thrown the ball away or ran out of bounds so Dallas could have had another shot on 5th down.

Romo was far from perfect in the 2nd half - significantly impacted by the poor play of those around him - but he did make a couple silly plays on his own too. Regardless, he did play well enough for Dallas to win. Didn't turn the ball over except for the desperation throw at the end. Made some great plays with his feet (both to buy time and getting yards) and was accurate on his throws. He's had much, much worse games and Dallas still won because the guys around him played better.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Unbelievable as it may seem, I missed both games yesterday to attend to some family business. So when I get home I flip on Sportscenter and first thing I see is TO and his quivering lip.

TO loves to dish it out but it appears to stop there. Anyway, he should lose his Man Card for that pathetic public display of misplaced emotion. :biggrin:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd venture to guess it was his pain meds talking, causing the tears to fall.

But seriously, at least he didn't stab Romo in the back (which would have been unfair) or for that matter, the OL, Crayton or Fasano (which would have been somewhat fair).

No matter what TO does from here on out - it will be wrong. He did make that bed himself though.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa

But seriously, at least he didn't stab Romo in the back (which would have been unfair) or for that matter, the OL, Crayton or Fasano (which would have been somewhat fair).

No matter what TO does from here on out - it will be wrong. He did make that bed himself though.

I have no respect for his off field antics. The guy can catch the ball though.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

I thought you were talking about Favre until I read the rest of the post.....

Most likely TO was coached by his agent to shed the tear hoping it will help future contract negotiations.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
TO Cries while defending Tony Romo..

Have you guys seen this? TO crying? That isn't a side of him I've seen. He obviously is a big Tony Romo fan.

I don't have a link but the video was from ABC news and was up on the Yahoo main page.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
IMO, the grounding call was crap as he just threw it away with no pressure - first time I've ever seen that called before - a QB just throwing it away inside the tackle box but had no pressure on him.

I'm no NFL rules expert but I'm pretty sure having/not having pressure on you has nothing to do with whether you are called for intentional grounding. It's all about if you're still inside the tackles and if there's a receiver in the general area that you're throwing the ball.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The call was discussed by Joe and Troy at the time as they were surprised it was called. I also read a column discussing the call.

If that's the worst call of the game (it was), I'll take it. Good job by the zebras in that one (unlike the Colts/Chargers game).

It's done though and I don't think it had an impact on the outcome. It was becoming more and more apparent to me after the drop by Crayton that Dallas just was not going to get it done in the end.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I'm no NFL rules expert but I'm pretty sure having/not having pressure on you has nothing to do with whether you are called for intentional grounding. It's all about if you're still inside the tackles and if there's a receiver in the general area that you're throwing the ball.

This is from the NFL website.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Not really a situation I had thought about until that play.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006

I believe intentional grounding is called when the ball is intentionally thrown incomplete to avoid a sack. The "to avoid a sack" wording is what allows QB's to spike the ball to stop the clock.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Thanks guys. :)

While you're at it, can you find a spot in the rulebook that states Dallas should get to move on despite losing that game?

No? Well...I tried...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If that's the worst call of the game (it was), I'll take it. Good job by the zebras in that one (unlike the Colts/Chargers game).

I think that's debatable. From the replay they showed, I don't think DaMarcus Ware was offsides on the Giants first drive. The Cowboys would have forced a punt if that was not called. The next play was a 52 yard TD pass. It wouldn't be the first time that the refs made a mistake and thought that Ware was too quick to cross the line. The league issued him an apology after the Cowboy/Packer game.

ISUFan22 said:
It was becoming more and more apparent to me after the drop by Crayton that Dallas just was not going to get it done in the end.

I thought we were going to lose going in, but after we had such a dominant running game in the first half and had a 20 play drive, I thought for sure that our line would just continue to wear the Giants defense down. The drive that the Giants had to end the half (thanks to Jacque Reeves) was huge.

In my opinion, the two biggest plays of the game were the offsides by Ware and the 3rd down drop by Crayton.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Thanks guys. :)

While you're at it, can you find a spot in the rulebook that states Dallas should get to move on despite losing that game?

No? Well...I tried...

I found this on the NFL website.

Never shall a team advance in the playoffs after loosing. In addition, sometimes the Dallas Cowboys shall not advance even after a victory because they truly are not America's team.
:wink:

Note: This was not actually on the NFL website. (But maybe is should be)

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think that's debatable. From the replay they showed, I don't think DaMarcus Ware was offsides on the Giants first drive. The Cowboys would have forced a punt if that was not called. The next play was a 52 yard TD pass. It wouldn't be the first time that the refs made a mistake and thought that Ware was too quick to cross the line. The league issued him an apology after the Cowboy/Packer game.

Ahhh, I tried to block that one out. Horrid call - but - it is what it is. Ware is just too fast for these zebras. :)

cloneu - I'd neg rep ya for that but I'm laughing too loud about it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Romo should not have gone to Cabo!

capitalone_spade2.jpg

Cab-NO, maybe...

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Good find on the grounding rule, guess that's what I get for only knowing high school rules.

In high school there is no throwing the ball away. It is funny to watch kids who see it on tv all the time then do it in games and get a penalty. They should probably allow it though sense it is done at the other levels.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't necessarily think the cabo trip was the reason. Romo just hasn't won that 1 big game yet (being in the playoffs.) Granted had he stayed home and we heard that the coaches couldn't keep him out of the film room it would have made things look better after a loss. Tom Brady goes parading around with supermodels all the time and well he had one heck of a game this past Sunday didn't he?