Roger Goodell wants to end the PAT

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I actually disagree. I'd like to see the extra point be hard enough that going for two becomes a viable risk. The two point conversion success rate is usually somewhere in the 40-45% range. I'd think making extra points more difficult, to where maybe they were a 75-80% chance would be enough to see more teams go for two. but not so many that it renders the XP unnecessary.

I think I've seen numbers as high as 52% for two point conversion success rate. 90% conversion rate would make two point conversions pretty viable. 95% isn't bad either. Although coaches are always way to conservative even with statistics proving them wrong.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think I've seen numbers as high as 52% for two point conversion success rate. 90% conversion rate would make two point conversions pretty viable. 95% isn't bad either. Although coaches are always way to conservative even with statistics proving them wrong.
I don't think any coach would take a 50% chance at 2 points over a 95% chance at 1 point. If it were 80/50 maybe, even still I think coaches are extremely risk averse in most situations, but you'd have a few here and there that would try it more often.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't think any coach would take a 50% chance at 2 points over a 95% chance at 1 point. If it were 80/50 maybe, even still I think coaches are extremely risk averse in most situations, but you'd have a few here and there that would try it more often.

Yeah I don't disagree. That's the coach's problem though.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
That's where I stand as well. Make it a real risk/reward decision between kicking the extra point and going for two. It would be really interesting to see the two point conversion as a more significant part of the game rather than only doing it if you're forced to.

Yeah. Also, the weather would become more of a factor in the decision making. If it's slick or windy, you might have a game where it comes down to who can convert more 2 point conversions. I think it would definitely make the game more interesting.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If you are going to move things for interest, I say make the extra point from the 45 and the two point from the 7 or 8.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I don't recall ever seeing a fake extra point in the NFL so this applies more to college fball but the further back you move the extra point, the less likely a coach will try to fake it. Not that big of loss but a definite consequence. And maybe that's already been mentioned in the 8 pages of discussion.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If they make these changes I wonder if we will see a higher value placed on kickers. Drafting them (higher), bigger contracts, whatever else.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If the goal of changing the PAT rule is because extra-point kicks have become too routine or statistically irrelevant, just remove it completely.

When a team scores a touchdown, it has the option to take the 7 points, or stay on 6 and go for 2 from the 2-yard-line, like it is now. (This is for the NFL only).

It doesn't change the scoring system and won't affect stat-keeping (placekicker gets credit for XP on any 7-pointer; little difference from current scoring since almost nobody misses anyway). And strategy element remains the same — take the sure thing or go for 2. And choosing the 7 removes the need to trot the special teams onto the field for a formality.

If the goal is to "make the PAT more exciting," I don't really think we need that. The 2-point conversion is intriguing mainly because it's infrequently used and almost always applied to late-game implications.