Robert Gallery

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I nominate Eric HesAMan Crouch, a bigger bust than higest rated running back of all time, Lawrence Can't mess Up Phillips.

I dunno...can you really consider a 3rd-round pick to be a bust?

My nominations:

(As a Packer fan:)
Tony Mandarich
Jamal Reynolds
Ahmad Carroll

(Other notables:)
Charles Rogers
Tim Couch
Ryan Leaf
Dimitrius Underwood
Curtis Enis
Akili Smith
Ki-Jana Carter

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Well, Eric failed first when he quit as a wide receiver with St Louis, then failed with CFL after getting injured in first game, then failed to make it as a qb after working out a bunch in summer and then hit the bigtime by starting a children's playground installation company, and then froze as a sports commentator. The bigger picture on and off the field was perhaps Eric Crouch failing at several stops, not just one place. But he looked tough in college and coud play with pain. Boz at least wrote a book and made some cheap movies. Tony M was a huge bust before R Gallery proved he could only do one type of blocking assignment. Yeah, go with Robert Hercules Gallery. I think he was the direct reason their qbs were injured so much this year in Oakland.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Honorable Mention:

Brian Bosworth
Tony Mandarich (sp?)
Rashan Salaam

I'm a bit torn about Gallery.... being a fellow Tri-Rivers Conference alum, it was cool to see a kid from a neighboring team go big time, but then again he was a hawkeye and plays for the raiders. His brother Nick was a helluva an athlete as well. Not sure what is in the water in eastern Buchanan County.

I am also a neighboring Tri-Rivers alum (NL) and I always remember it as Nick the ****, but that guy sure could kick.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I read somewhere that Ryan Leaf is now a golf coach for some small college down in Texas

That is how they got him a paying gig so he could help out with the football team too, he was interveiwed at one of the bowl games where he was watching his brother.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Is there a bigger NFL draft bust in recent memory than Gallery?

You'll have to pull out the history books for this one, but there's a bigger NFL draft bust in hawkeye history! QB Randy Duncan, now a hawk sports commentator, was the #1 overall draft pick in 1958 or 1959. Vince Lombardi cut the #1 overall pick in training camp and Randy Duncan never played a down of NFL regular season football...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He may be a bust but he still cashed in.

That's the bad thing about drafting "prospects"...they get these huge contracts without proving a damn thing. At least the NBA got something right with their rookie contracts...now if they could stopping drafting 18 and 19 players with "talent" but are 100% unproven, that would be a big step for them.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I always thought Gallery was guilty of holding (never called) on nearly every play in college. Definitely over rated.

Perhaps he can go back and live in HUD housing in Iowa City like he did when he was in college.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
It's obvious he peaked at Iowa, unlike Clark, Sanders, Kaeding, Considine and probably a few others who make Hawkeye fans proud in the NFL.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Is there a bigger NFL draft bust in recent memory than Gallery? He's an epic bust, Mandarichian in scale. I like to watch the Raiders just to see him get beat on every play.

He's a damn big one that won't be talked about as much as a Brian Bosworth or Ryan Leaf. But you won't here iowa talking about Gallery anymore, its all BOB SANDERS DID THIS AND BOD SANDERS LOOK AT HIM POSING FOR THE CAMERA AND DALLAS CLARK CAUGHT A ROCKET FROM PEYTON, yada yada yada. What about Matt Roth? lol I heard his struggles are mentally with getting miami's defensive schemes down....hawk fans make dumb excuses like he doesn't see the field bcuz some former LSU coach now headed to alabama had a grudge against him.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It's obvious he peaked at Iowa, unlike Clark, Sanders, Kaeding, Considine and probably a few others who make Hawkeye fans proud in the NFL.

considine is better than he was at iowa yeah, but still not THAT good and kaeding is one of the few former hawks i like and is actually a pretty nice guy, but man has he choked in some big ones in the NFL. Once a Chokeye always a Chokeye...