Ricky Stanzi

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneFanatik

Sep 10, 2008
Hey fellas .. new to the board here. How does everyone think Stanzi will do this Saturday against us? I think he's ill-prepared for the job, though you have to respect his rise to starter.

Last edited:

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I think he is completely over-hyped. I think there is a good possibility that he falls flat on his face. He hasn't seen anything like the scheme/speed he is going to see Saturday. I think if we get to him early and knock him on his can he will come unravelled pretty quickly and the EIU fans will be calling for Jake.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
I was hanging out with a hawk fan this past weekend, and he had the game on in his car. On one of Stanzi's first snaps, he apparently threw a pass right into the chest of the defender. They were deep in their own territory at that point. He ended up putting together a 4 play drive for a TD. But, if that pass had gone back for a TD for the defense like it should have, there's no telling who would be QB this week...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Remember the last two times that we played Iowa and they had a unexperienced QB playing? Didn't turn out too well for the hawks, hopefully more then a coincidence.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
A (typical) hawk fan I know quite well..... told me the hawks will win by AT LEAST 2 tds as they have this new QB named STAMIE that is just awesome.... :rolleyes:

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I am neverous about Stanzi, with JC we knew what we were going to get - A guy that couldn't complete a pass over 10 yards. Stanzi has a strong arm and if he starts off with a good series and builds some confidence, ISU could be in trouble. This will be like playing a basketball game in Hilton, ISU needs to take the crowd out early.

ISU needs to come out blitzing and take him out of any rythm the first drive. Need to get the fans chantting Jake's name....the Iowa fans have little patience right now and if ISU can get a quick turnover or two - then the boo birds come out and Iowa may fold their tents.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Hey fellas .. new to the board here. How does everyone think Stanzi will do this Saturday against us? I think he's ill-prepared for the job, though you have to respect his rise to starter.

You spelled his name wrong. I think it starts with a P.:yes:

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
pdMTILL0008.jpg

This Ricky fella you ask about does not scare me at all.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I wish very much that Jake was starting. I haven't seen all of their games, but I've seen a lot and he is the worst major D-1 QB I can ever recall.

There's absolutely no way their fans will ask for Jake back ever. If he was our QB, I would have a hard time not booing as well.

The fact that he played pretty much every single snap last year leads me to believe that Stanzi is either the most improved QB in the history of football, or Ferentz is just trying the unknown because the known commodity is horrible.

It's like having the choice between a poop sandwich and a mystery sandwich which is either also poop or something delicious. May as well take the mystery sandwich because at worst, you have poop in your mouth either way.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was hanging out with a hawk fan this past weekend, and he had the game on in his car. On one of Stanzi's first snaps, he apparently threw a pass right into the chest of the defender.

I saw that on DVR, and that statement is a bit misleading--he did throw the ball behind his receiver, and when the defender dove for it, the ball bounced off his chest into the turf. Should have been an interception, but not as bad as "throwing it right into his chest".

That said, Stanzi throws a nice ball (reminds me of Chuck Long that way), and shows good judgement on scrambling. However, he also seems to take a lot of time in the pocket, and we simply cannot allow him that luxury. He's still learning, much like out quarterbacks, and we just can't allow him the extra seconds for recognition.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
With it only being his second game and never seeing him play against top quality opponents it will be difficult to get reads on some of his habits and tendencies.

The positive to his inexperience is he hasn't seen a Defense like ours our a scheme like GC will have in place this weekend. I would like to see us attack the QB and force him into some errors.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The FIU game was the equivalent of a flag football game. It will be interesting. To bad I can't watch it...soccer.

I'll tape it and watch if we win.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The FIU game was the equivalent of a flag football game. It will be interesting. To bad I can't watch it...soccer.

I'll tape it and watch if we win.

Aaaugh!!! Where's the negative rep?!!! Skipping the Iowa-Iowa State game for soccer??!!!! Oh, the ignomy! :chatterbox: That's even worse than a wedding--especially your own!

:wink:

icyguy

Sep 18, 2007
If we don't get any pressure on him, I think he has the capability to pick us apart. He had a nice touch on the ball in the highlights I saw and threw on the run.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If we don't get any pressure on him, I think he has the capability to pick us apart. He had a nice touch on the ball in the highlights I saw and threw on the run.

I think any qb has the ability to pick a team apart if you don't get pressure on them

2006 cyclone defense for example; every qb we played completed more than 70% of their passes I think.