Richardson/Messingham

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
This. I hate all the read option/pistol crap for isu's personel. Give me the i-formation and pro style everyday. You can't tell me we wouldn't be able to run the ball with woody as a full time fb leading the way. And I'm guessing 3rd and short would be a hell of a lot more easy to convert with our qb under center and the rb with a head of steam.

LOVE.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
This. I hate all the read option/pistol crap for isu's personel. Give me the i-formation and pro style everyday. You can't tell me we wouldn't be able to run the ball with woody as a full time fb leading the way. And I'm guessing 3rd and short would be a hell of a lot more easy to convert with our qb under center and the rb with a head of steam.
Butbutbutbut spreaddddd offenseeeee

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Conference ranks for Sam:
#3 in TDs
#5 in YDS
Almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio when a good chunk of the other starters are 1:1 or worse
#1 in sacks taken (currently at 21)

2013 Big 12 College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

Sam has a chance to take quite a few school records for QBs if he doesn't have to run for his life. The kid definitely has some things to work on but it's hard to take those lessons to heart when you're constantly hearing footsteps

I saw a similar stat on Saturday during the game. You can't argue with the numbers, but I really want to :twitcy:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I agree with a spread offense. I just hate this god awful excuse for an offense we have with the read option. Just get rid of it already. It's a fad that is quickly going away already. In the NFL, the 49ers have all but abandoned it already, and we see how much RGIII and Washington are tearing it up.

Give me a competent OC and an actual quality scheme and I think SR can be great in it. Something even like a traditional WCO would work, I think.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Conference ranks for Sam:
#3 in TDs
#5 in YDS
Almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio when a good chunk of the other starters are 1:1 or worse
#1 in sacks taken (currently at 21)

2013 Big 12 College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

Sam has a chance to take quite a few school records for QBs if he doesn't have to run for his life. The kid definitely has some things to work on but it's hard to take those lessons to heart when you're constantly hearing footsteps

THIS THIS THIS! Again, Sam is not the issue and is probably the best all-around QB we've had in the position for quite some time. Build the game plan around his capabilities. Rewatching film again and seeing that Sam really does a decent job of going through his reads when given time, and he throws a better ball than Rohach too. It's simply that our offensive play calling is awful.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Messingham and Rhoads are not listening. Somehow they are convinced that Messingham knows what he is doing, and perceive our last few years as an Offensive success. Doing enough to lose is going to have to be good enough I guess.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
THIS THIS THIS! Again, Sam is not the issue and is probably the best all-around QB we've had in the position for quite some time. Build the game plan around his capabilities. Rewatching film again and seeing that Sam really does a decent job of going through his reads when given time, and he throws a better ball than Rohach too. It's simply that our offensive play calling is awful.

Rep gun out of pew. Like button broken. Quote is the best I can do.

Reactions: TXCyclones

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sam isn't executing, he's not the only one though. Who's job is it to get the players to execute? I have never coached but I think the number one rule as a leader of young men is poor play is never a young players fault.

This reminds me of Steele vs Jared, Jared vs Tiller, Steele vs Tiller, Arnaud vs Tiller, Sam vs Jared, Sam vs Steele. The Wheel of QB.

Last edited:

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Agreed, and it wouldn't surprise me if CPR has already decided to change OCs but is waiting till year end to publically state it. They do still have games to play, it would be counterproductive to tear down the OC when you still have to prepare for games.

Counterproductive based on what we have now would be a positive.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

You have one RB and 0 offensive linemen for the I formation. Pro style is also largely shotgun these days.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
For the first time in a decade, I walked away from the tv during an ISU game on Saturday. I had stuff to do, and it wasn't fun to watch. Truth be told, I almost walked away last week as well, but the 2nd quarter rally kept me going. There was no rally this week. I walked away as soon as I saw SR on the sidelines with the headset on, and then checked in only sporadically as I chose to blow out my sprinkler system instead.

I hate QB instability... SR seems to be the guy most of the time, so I think we should be sticking with him. Pulling someone because they screwed up as punishment (it's what it looks like) plays havoc on the starter's confidence. SR is missing throws, and is banged up, so I agree that he's part of the problem. I think he excels when he runs as he doesn't have to look over his shoulder to see which O Linemen missed their assignment, got torched, etc while trying to pass. Still, he's definitely missed some throws, and the interceptions were bad Saturday.

CPR/Mess/Herman (or is it just CPR) manage qbs like guys in a hurry manage lane changes on the interstate during rush hour... Things are moving along steadily (gaining experience) and then we freak out that we're missing something and change lanes (enter Rohach), only to have to slam on our brakes (3 & out). Then you try to change back, and pretty soon it's a giant clusterpuck, and you're 30 cars further back than if you'd stayed in the same lane the whole time. I get it, Sam's injured... Maybe they are seeing something great from Rohach in practice, but then I'd expect him start (this weekend?). If we accomplish nothing else this season, my hope was that we'd have figured out the qb situation. Now it's looking like that won't happen, which is the absolute worst case scenario IMO for ISU football next year.

At the end of the day, if we're going to see a better record next year we need to figure out the QB and upgrade the talent across the board on the OL and DL. Are Jucos the answer to all of this??? I agree with the coaches that this team might actually be the fastest and most athletic we've ever had, but if we can't get the ball into the right guy's hands at the right time, then obviously that doesn't matter. All year I though we'd see improvement, but with the injuries and the sinking ship that is our offense, plus our young, still learning defense, I'm really worried. TCU was a winnable game... KU was a winnable game. Both have shown more promise than us. (KU has been able to start fast, and TCU has a stout defense to fall back on). WV should have been winnable, but if we can't put points up, then it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron