Rhoads on the call-in show tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I understand he won't throw Mess under the bus, but does he really believe what he says, or is it all just coach speak?

He can't honestly believe that TCU is just going to play the same exact defense against us as they do against most other Big 12 teams, does he? Sorry Paul, but I don't think TCU respects ISU's offense as much as some of the other Big 12 teams they face.

I guess if I were the head coach of a team with this pathetic of an offense and someone asked me why we couldn't move the ball at all to start the game, I guess I'd just say that TCU was better prepared to play the game from the opening whistle and that is on me. Which is kinda what he did, but yet he blamed it more on the fact that TCU "tricked" us by doing something we weren't expecting they'd do. And I just don't understand how he can't figure out that TCU is going to do to us what all defenses have had success doing to us?

As I said, I'm sure I'm the only one that didn't like his response. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

It's coach speak. He's not going to throw anybody under the bus, until he actually throws them under the bus.

I thought his answer was pretty diplomatic. Mess is a goner.

If not, well then, my whole opinion of what transpired this season will change.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It's coach speak. He's not going to throw anybody under the bus, until he actually throws them under the bus.

He actually defended Mess. And said statistically we actually had a better offense under Mess than we did under Herman. Not sure what offense CPR has been watching these last several games. But the offense with Rohach at QB has been terrible.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa

Agreed.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There has been no vote of confidence for Mess. Not at all. Really, he refuses to even use his name. He's not going to say he's going to fire. him. He's not going to throw him under the bus. He's handled this correctly to this point IMO. I mean this season and his comments.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I'm a staunch Rhoads defender, but even though I'm confident at a rebound season next year, my main concern going forward is that Rhoads might have no idea about how to coach offense. We all want Mess gone, but my fear is that Rhoads really isn't capable of selecting a good OC, and he isn't a good enough coach to get involved with the offense when it is struggling. If Rhoads was a better coach, I would think he could take a more hands-on approach with the offense this year and at least produce stretches where the offense is competent. But I think he just has a largely hands off approach to the offense and hopes the OC knows what he's doing. If this is the case, it brings into question if 6-6 is the peak level of success Rhoads can have at ISU.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
About halfway through the first quarter I put out on twitter that TCU did not have a single defender beyond 8 yards from the LOS. Zero respect for the offense. You should be able to light up teams for big plays when they defend you like that. You should be able to do that by accident once or twice a game when a defense plays you like that, especially when you have been seeing it all season.

They did try to throw the ball to get big plays, problem is when your QB throws behind, at the ground or leads them by 10 years it is hard to complete passes.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
As long as he's not disparaging the fans it doesn't matter much what he says on these call in shows. He's collectively responsible for the program and will be judged for it and he knows that. There's nothing you can really say in a year like this to get pr points. Talk is cheap. Finish out the year the best you can & do what is necessary to improve going forward. Starting a thread like this implies the OP is interested in our program having great "window dressing" (ie sounding great in interviews but no results on field) instead of just flat out results. No other reason to start such a silly thread.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
He actually defended Mess. And said statistically we actually had a better offense under Mess than we did under Herman. Not sure what offense CPR has been watching these last several games. But the offense with Rohach at QB has been terrible.

Yeah, I caught this too and it was a bit baffling. He said something like "Courtney's offense is statistically more productive than Tom Herman's" Which, to us fan's, is like saying this kidney stone was slightly less painful than the last one.

But then again, like 30 seconds later, he said the playcalling wan't very good (or something like that). I think he's intentionally veiling his hand.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah, I caught this too and it was a bit baffling. He said something like "Courtney's offense is statistically more productive than Tom Herman's" Which, to us fan's, is like saying this kidney stone was slightly less painful than the last one.

But then again, like 30 seconds later, he said the playcalling wan't very good (or something like that). I think he's intentionally veiling his hand.

What metric is he using? Did he say? Just in my gut it seems wrong to say mess is better statistically than Herman.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
What metric is he using? Did he say? Just in my gut it seems wrong to say mess is better statistically than Herman.

Sadly, in the all-important PPG, Mess is statistically better then Herman.

2009: 20.5
2011: 21.7
2012: 22.7

Messingham
2012: 24.5
2013 22.4

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's pretty simple, CPR is just like Mac in that they don't know offense. With a good O-Coordinator they look like champs and without one they look like chumps.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I believe in Rhoads, and think we should definitely keep him.

With that being said, he said something tonight on the call-in show that tells me he really has no clue about offense at all.

A caller asked something about how we struggled to move the ball to start the game, and Rhoads basically said that TCU's defense came out and blitzed us a lot on 1st and 2nd down, which they hadn't been doing at all this year against anyone else on tape, so we weren't prepared for that. He said it took us a while to adjust to this, and therefore, we started with 4 straight 3 and outs or something like that. Really Paul? Seriously?

As head coach you should know better than to think a team is going to come into Ames and do the same thing they've been doing all year long on defense. Other teams watch film on your offense too Paul. They see what your weakness is and they set up a defensive gameplan for that week to exploit your weakness.

TCU probably noticed on offense that we can't throw at all past 5 yds and other teams have had a lot of success blitzing us and putting 9 guys in the box against us. So that's what they are going to come in here and do Paul. They aren't going to play ISU just like they play everyone else. C'mon. You should know that. Other teams aren't stupid.

Everyone has been playing VERY aggressive blitzing defense on us with a lot of success, so that's what TCU is probably going to do. Duh. And it took you 4 offensive series to realize this? Really? No wonder our offense stinks so bad.

Hey Rhoads, guess what.... I'll bet that OU is going to put 9 guys in the box and blitz a lot this week too, no matter what the tape shows they've done to other teams this year. We are not other teams, we are ISU. Teams are going to plan their defense according to who they play. It's an amazing concept!

If Mess can't figure out a way to beat a 9 man front that will blitz a lot, then you need to find a new OC immediately. You are the head man. You should know better. Everyone in the stadium knows what the opposing defense is going to do to us. But yet, you don't because you think they're going to play ISU just like they do Baylor? C'mon Paul. You get paid too well to not know that defenses aren't going to respect our passing game like they do Baylor's, or TT's, or OSU's. Nobody respects our ability to pass. Why would they?

I don't know. I'm sure it's just me, but I'm dumbfounded by the logic of this coaching staff sometimes. It took us 5 series to realize that TCU was going to put nearly everyone within 8 yds of the line of scrimmage and blitz us a lot. Wow. What what an amazing genius you and Mess are Paul. Truly amazing.

crying-baby-o.gif

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hot reads? I'm not jumping on you, just saw something I haven't seen many point out. When do we ever make a read...ever? It seems we have a play, the formation does not allow for multiple plays, we lock onto a receiver (1st...perhaps only?...read) and if that receiver is either covered or not yet out of his break by the time pressure is felt, the play is...depending on the QB:

1. Run for your life (Richardson)
2. Throw it into coverage (Rohach)

Where is the check down? From what I've seen...there isn't one.
My concern is we play like the second week of the season while others are playing like it its the tenth week of the season. It looks like we have a simplistic offensive team. Vanilla, fragile, stubborn, low production. 330 yards can be had by bad offenses and Danny Mac teams. We need to be over 400 yards.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sadly, in the all-important PPG, Mess is statistically better then Herman.

2009: 20.5
2011: 21.7
2012: 22.7

Messingham
2012: 24.5
2013 22.4

And 22.4 is really significantly better than 22.7?