Rhoads has interest in coaching Wisconsin?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Re: Rhoads has intrest in coaching Wisconsin?

A coach with a more impressive resume. Not saying CPR is the best coach in the world, but his ability wouldn't hold him back from UW, it would be his resume.

Dont get me wrong, I don't think there is a better fit for ISU then CPR and I honestly would not want any other coach here. However, there are many better coaches then him.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

if Paul Rhoads left before he had Iowa State in the hunt annually for Big12 titles, he would make the list right up there with the like of Gene Chizik and Cael Sanderson/QUOTE]

GC: No longer care, now glad he left.

Cael: Yeah, that one I get.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

If Wisconsins next coach isn't Paul Chryst I'd be shocked.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

-Signed Gene Chizik as he accepts the Auburn coaching position

Nope...GC didn't build anything here and was a familiar face on the Plains. They (the administration and a few boosters with a lot of cash) wanted him to replace Tuberville before GC ever left Auburn. CPR has zero direct ties to Wisconsin...they would hire him based on his performance in Ames and only that. So if our performance declines in the future do you think a program like UW (if it even is) would hire him based upon his first four years at ISU? Doubt it...he would no longer be a hot commodity. Pitt might go after him in that case since they think fondly of him, but not a program that he has no ties to...can't sell it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

So many posts here are saying CPR will stay here until something happens...his kid graduates, he wins a Big 12 title, blah, blah, blah.

Why in the world don't you think that he would not want to stay here for his entire remaining career? Hayden Fry walked into a horrible situation at Iowa, righted the ship and spent the rest of his time there. His successor is still there. Why do we think that all coaches are after the next bigger check?

Look at the coaches we have. Two are career people for sure (basketball programs). Why not others?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

How many Rose Bowls has Wisconsin been two in the last 20 years? 7?

yeah I'd say they blow ISU out of the water. Wisconsin is a top 20 job, some of you are treating it like they're Pitt.

He wouldn't be the first coach to turn down an offer from a better program though.

anyway, this is all moot because I don't see Wisconsin going in that direction.

They needed PSU and OSU on sanctions to do that with Michigan sucking/recovering from sucking to do that. In the long run, it's probably the fifth best job in the B1G. You have to recruit the midwest against Brady Hoke and Urban Meyer now. MSU, is a lot better program than it was. Wisconsin isn't that great of a job. A step up for ISU, yes, but it's not elite and I stand by thinking there will need to be an elite job there to lure CPR away.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I'm wondering if Chizik's faceplant at AU might be good for us keeping CPR longer. Admittedly, they are two vastly different coaches, but if it helps, I'll take it.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

So many posts here are saying CPR will stay here until something happens...his kid graduates, he wins a Big 12 title, blah, blah, blah.

Why in the world don't you think that he would not want to stay here for his entire remaining career? Hayden Fry walked into a horrible situation at Iowa, righted the ship and spent the rest of his time there. His successor is still there. Why do we think that all coaches are after the next bigger check?

Look at the coaches we have. Two are career people for sure (basketball programs). Why not others?

THIS. AND the fact that he turned down a raise to add money to the facilities. He's not leaving.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

you realize he's getting paid 4 million a year right? It's not like he took less to stay there. So yeah, If ISU offered Rhoads more money than Wisconsin was willing to pay then I agree he wouldn't leave.

Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl is almost as bad as you in a mafia game.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

How many Rose Bowls has Wisconsin been two in the last 20 years? 7?

yeah I'd say they blow ISU out of the water. Wisconsin is a top 20 job, some of you are treating it like they're Pitt.

He wouldn't be the first coach to turn down an offer from a better program though.

anyway, this is all moot because I don't see Wisconsin going in that direction.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm still puzzled as to why Bielema treated the job (Wisconsin) like it was Pitt.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I agree with this 100%. As long as ISU's athletic department remains status quo, I don't see CPR leaving.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

A lot of people in the ISU community could say the exact same thing about Danny Mac! He didn't leave at the height of his success at ISU and look where it got him. I am strongly hoping that CPR isn't near the height of his success at ISU however!!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

And he has a street named after him and a festival in his honor every year.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

I don't think that CPR has accomplished enough for Barry Alvarez to sell it to Alumni. CPR is a great Coach and those who follow College Football closely understand that, but the casual fan in a Big Ten city probably has never thought twice about him.

Barry has a short list and it is probably someone with some ties to Wisconsin.

Then again, maybe I am deep in denial.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

What bothers me is this seems to be interest coming from Paul to Wisconsin not vice versa. Hope this rumor doesn't spread to his recruits or current players even though I think it's BS. I will say too, Wisconsin has to work just as hard as ISU to get recruits as Wisconsin is not a recruiting hotbed.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don't think that CPR has accomplished enough for Barry Alvarez to sell it to Alumni. CPR is a great Coach and those who follow College Football closely understand that, but the casual fan in a Big Ten city probably has never thought twice about him.

Barry has a short list and it is probably someone with some ties to Wisconsin.

Then again, maybe I am deep in denial.

I love CPR...but are we at the point where we can call him a "great" coach? Nick Saban is a great coach (can't stand him though)! CPR is a great coach for ISU...not sure everyone who follows college football would come to the same conclusion as we (ISU fans) do.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines

A source told a journalist. That could be like CW saying he has a source saying that Saban is the next coach at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron