Rhoads and Recruiting

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We've been above .500 in conference twice in the past 32 years. I'm wondering if that result has anything to do with our recruiting base.

Football tends to be a haves and have nots sports. If you're not a traditional power in this sport, it's virtually impossible to break through to a higher level. I would say that our losing history plays a pretty large role.

But if the OPs approach is just that it's hard for us to recruit, and we essentially shouldn't try, then this is a poor excuse thread.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If that is indeed the case, I think we are WAY over-paying for the football program. If we can never get better players, then lets take those millions and millions of dollars and devote them to endowing faculty positions and bolstering university research.

Current salaries: (as far as I can find)
Mack Brown $5.4 million
Bob Stoops $4.6 million
Gary Patterson $3.5 million
Mike Gundy $3.3 million
Charlie Weis $2.5 million
Dana Holgorsen $2.4 million
Art Briles $2.3 million
Kliff Kingsbury $2.3 million
Bill Snyder $2.2 million
Paul Rhoads $1.7 million

So you want to pay $500k less than every other coach in the conference but expect better results? Actually, I think we are getting a good return on our investment. Pay is 10th by far but finished 9th/10 last year, 8th/10 in 2011, and 9th/12 in 2010.

What is all the complaining about? Want better results? Then maybe we should pony up. Because he is way behind an old man who could get paid way more if he wanted and some newby who hasn't finished his first season. Not exactly something to brag about.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Football tends to be a haves and have nots sports. If you're not a traditional power in this sport, it's virtually impossible to break through to a higher level. I would say that our losing history plays a pretty large role.

But if the OPs approach is just that it's hard for us to recruit, and we essentially shouldn't try, then this is a poor excuse thread.

No, not that we shouldn't try. That we shouldn't ***** about it. It is getting better. But it will never be great.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
OK. Accepting mediocrity is always a good idea. Trying to improve is for other programs.

Not accepting mediocrity. But we can't just throw out reality too. There are more obstacles here than any other BCS-level school. That is reality. No amount of wishing, hoping, or puffing out our chests is going to change that.

Rhoads is making progress. Is it huge progress? No. But it is moving in the right direction. It takes patience and a level head.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Not accepting mediocrity. But we can't just throw out reality too. There are more obstacles here than any other BCS-level school. That is reality. No amount of wishing, hoping, or puffing out our chests is going to change that.

Rhoads is making progress. Is it huge progress? No. But it is moving in the right direction. It takes patience and a level head.

This season will determine a lot of that. If we bottom out, then we're not making progress.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

WVU
OkSt
TCU
Boise
Louisville
Cincinatti

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Maybe Rhoads just sucks at coaching, he obviously isn't a good recruiter. Lazard would never come here if it wasn't for the legacy aspect (Don't care that he says its all about Rhoads, guarantee his brother and dad playing here had more influence).

Rhoads has one winning season (7-6, pathetic) out of 4. Nobody will ever win at Iowa State period. Accept mediocrity because we will not compete for Big 12 titles and BCS bowls year in and year out ever. Be happy if Rhoads gets to 8 wins ever before he leave Ames.

The upset wins are nice, but who cares when the end result is a losing season? I certainly don't. Nobody around the country is going "Oh look Iowa State beat a top 25 team, I bet there really good. Then they look at our record and say, it was a fluke"

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Maybe Rhoads just sucks at coaching, he obviously isn't a good recruiter. Lazard would never come here if it wasn't for the legacy aspect (Don't care that he says its all about Rhoads, guarantee his brother and dad playing here had more influence).

Rhoads has one winning season (7-6, pathetic) out of 4. Nobody will ever win at Iowa State period. Accept mediocrity because we will not compete for Big 12 titles and BCS bowls year in and year out ever. Be happy if Rhoads gets to 8 wins ever before he leave Ames.

The upset wins are nice, but who cares when the end result is a losing season? I certainly don't. Nobody around the country is going "Oh look Iowa State beat a top 25 team, I bet they're really good. Then they look at our record and say, it was a fluke"

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

The upset wins are nice, but who cares when the end result is a losing season? I certainly don't. Nobody around the country is going "Oh look Iowa State beat a top 25 team, I bet there really good. Then they look at our record and say, it was a fluke"

Okay, this is what I am talking about. How do you know that? How can you judge that? He is selling a Honda Civic. Nice car. But it isn't exactly luxury. And you want to bash his recruiting because highly-ranked recruits are picking the Lexus?

The second part is true. We won't. Who does? Oklahoma year in and year out. Who else? Not we've-got-more-money-than-God Texas. No one else competes for B12 titles every year. Some are coming on like OSU and Baylor. But they have waaaay more advantages than we do.

Only the elite go to BCS bowls year in and year out. If you are miffed that we will never be an elite program, then you need to spend a little more time in reality.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Right or wrong, I guess I don't understand why someone with such an attitude about ISU would spend the time to post on a Cyclone message board. I can understand tailgating and even buying tickets for the fun aspect but actually investing time in posting about how bad we will always be just kind of baffles me. I mean, I don't spend time on Men's Health forums talking about how i will never be good looking. That seems like a waste of time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Okay, this is what I am talking about. How do you know that? How can you judge that? He is selling a Honda Civic. Nice car. But it isn't exactly luxury. And you want to bash his recruiting because highly-ranked recruits are picking the Lexus?

The second part is true. We won't. Who does? Oklahoma year in and year out. Who else? Not we've-got-more-money-than-God Texas. No one else competes for B12 titles every year. Some are coming on like OSU and Baylor. But they have waaaay more advantages than we do.

Only the elite go to BCS bowls year in and year out. If you are miffed that we will never be an elite program, then you need to spend a little more time in reality.

I don't think anyone expects an elite program. We do expect that we don't go headlong after a shot at 0-12. There's no excuse for that happening.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Oh good god, enjoy our Ws when they come and STFU about the rest of the country. The rest of the country thinks you're a ******* if you're an Iowa State fan concerned what they think about you.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I've only been a Cyclone fan for 11 years so I haven't been through a lot of bad times but some of you act like you're entitled to 8 wins since a coach gave you 6. Eat a ****.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Current salaries: (as far as I can find)
Mack Brown $5.4 million
Bob Stoops $4.6 million
Gary Patterson $3.5 million
Mike Gundy $3.3 million
Charlie Weis $2.5 million
Dana Holgorsen $2.4 million
Art Briles $2.3 million
Kliff Kingsbury $2.3 million
Bill Snyder $2.2 million
Paul Rhoads $1.7 million

So you want to pay $500k less than every other coach in the conference but expect better results? Actually, I think we are getting a good return on our investment. Pay is 10th by far but finished 9th/10 last year, 8th/10 in 2011, and 9th/12 in 2010.

What is all the complaining about? Want better results? Then maybe we should pony up. Because he is way behind an old man who could get paid way more if he wanted and some newby who hasn't finished his first season. Not exactly something to brag about.

So, if we pay Rhoads $500K more per year, we'll suddenly be competitive both in recruiting and on the field? It's just that easy....right? Right?! I mean, he'll try harder if he's making $2.2 million rather than the paltry $1.7 million he's getting....I'm sure of it.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009

View attachment 21969
"You rotten bums! You under recruited weenies! Rhoads you make my butt sting! I detest you! You're all garbage, all of you!! Back up the truck, back it up!!!"

Reactions: Cyballzz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron