Rewatched games this year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I rewatched the Texas K state and WVU games this weekend (because why not). I’m guessing I’m not the only one to do so.

- I forgot how bad Mensa screwed up multiple times in that forth qtr. like what in the hell was he doing?
- that Texas game was so beautiful. I could watch that 100 times and not get old. We played so ballsy.
- WVU and K state were both just “I’m better than you, I know it, I am going to give it you raw and there’s not a thing you can do about it”. After decades of watching ISU football, I hope I never take for granted how enjoyable those ass kickings are. To be miles ahead of another midrange-ish big 12 team and just destroy them is just the most beautiful thing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Here’s one for you to watch next...

2b0dde93014e60ec8ee4d5e4fd726b3d.gif

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I rewatched the Texas K state and WVU games this weekend (because why not). I’m guessing I’m not the only one to do so.

- I forgot how bad Mensa screwed up multiple times in that forth qtr. like what in the hell was he doing?
- that Texas game was so beautiful. I could watch that 100 times and not get old. We played so ballsy.
- WVU and K state were both just “I’m better than you, I know it, I am going to give it you raw and there’s not a thing you can do about it”. After decades of watching ISU football, I hope I never take for granted how enjoyable those ass kickings are. To be miles ahead of another midrange-ish big 12 team and just destroy them is just the most beautiful thing.

I need to rewatch the KSU game again, just to make sure it was real. I realize they were a little short handed for that game, but over the years KSU has somehow, some way just found some way to beat ISU. I remember being in the 3rd quarter and wondering when the crazy stuff was going to start.

The biggest thing that I take away from the 2020 season is that the OL is finally caught up to the rest of the team.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I need to rewatch the KSU game again, just to make sure it was real. I realize they were a little short handed for that game, but over the years KSU has somehow, some way just found some way to beat ISU. I remember being in the 3rd quarter and wondering when the crazy stuff was going to start.

The biggest thing that I take away from the 2020 season is that the OL is finally caught up to the rest of the team.

What I remember about those games was that the offense was just so efficient. Teams had to pull out all the stops on defense right away, because if they didn't, ISU was just going to keep driving and scoring. By the 4th quarter, Bailey and McDonald were just teeing off on the QB. Our OL DID get a lot better, but mixing in those 3 TEs in the running game and the versatility they added where they could not only seal the edge but run routes and catch passes to pick up 3rd downs was the key to the offense.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
What I remember about those games was that the offense was just so efficient. Teams had to pull out all the stops on defense right away, because if they didn't, ISU was just going to keep driving and scoring. By the 4th quarter, Bailey and McDonald were just teeing off on the QB. Our OL DID get a lot better, but mixing in those 3 TEs in the running game and the versatility they added where they could not only seal the edge but run routes and catch passes to pick up 3rd downs was the key to the offense.
It will be interesting to see if the 3 TE become become an ISU mainstay. It definitely has advantages and makes the Cyclones a very physical, punishing team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The last offensive drive of the Texas game was that culture shift in motion.

ESPN guys having an Ehlinger love fest meanwhile ISU going to work with Hall stamping it at the end, showing some emotion post TD that I think he'd been holding in.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The last offensive drive of the Texas game was that culture shift in motion.

ESPN guys having an Ehlinger love fest meanwhile ISU going to work with Hall stamping it at the end.
I muted it for big chunks upon rewatch. I couldn’t take it.

Reactions: madguy30

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's pretty entertaining.

They're basically acting like the game's over the entire 2nd half and everything's all-Texas, and ISU's just CMCing its way around, chipping away and then dismantling UT's defense to take the lead.

Poor guys.

They called it after Texas went up 10-0. My dad and I looked at each other after some comment from Barrie and were like "they're burying us already!". Worst broadcast of the year.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I really want to rewatch the Big 12 Championship to see what I missed in person but I really don't want to experience that again

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

The texas win this year (to me) is one of the biggest wins in cyclone football history in the last 50 years. EVERYTHING was on the line that game - trip to Dallas, good bowl berth, top ten finish, and we took it to them.

I think we continue to pound k-state and WVU. WVU does not have the same offensive firepower they used to, and Kstate dare I say has a courtney messingham problem.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The texas win this year (to me) is one of the biggest wins in cyclone football history in the last 50 years. EVERYTHING was on the line that game - trip to Dallas, good bowl berth, top ten finish, and we took it to them.

I think we continue to pound k-state and WVU. WVU does not have the same offensive firepower they used to, and Kstate dare I say has a courtney messingham problem.

Hard to tell on both these teams. WVU is certainly a team that others are expecting improvements from next year. I like the KSU coach. He is a lot like CMC, trying to build a team that is more physical than finesse in a league that is pretty high flying. Hopefully ISU has made a step up and is simply going to be enough better than these teams that it is not going to be a dog fight every year.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
If ISU becomes known around the country as a "3 TE set" team, that means only 1 WR on the field. WR recruits won't be drawn to that.

It's better to actually develop a good O-Line, then we can still have a jump ball offense with two tight ends that are both 6' 8".

Reactions: glenn_thegreat

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
If ISU becomes known around the country as a "3 TE set" team, that means only 1 WR on the field. WR recruits won't be drawn to that.

It's better to actually develop a good O-Line, then we can still have a jump ball offense with two tight ends that are both 6' 8".
I think the 3 TE sets need to be used as a specialty package. As you allude to, it really handcuffs speed on the field.

I'm hoping tarique milton is the bounceback player of 2021. He was such a stud in 2019.

Reactions: Tailg8er

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I should rewatch these as well. WVU especially because in person(I hate to say it) it was almost boring we dominated them so much. Even their sideline was lifeless and seemed to want to leave long before the game was over.

Reactions: aauummm