Rescuing data from old PC

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Our old PC died last week. They main drive (C) is gone but I had a second internal hard drive that is still intact. I want to rescue some data off of there. My old pc was Windows XP and my new on is 7 (64). Can the old drive be installed in the new pc since they were formatted on different systems? If not, Is there a way to temporarily hook up the old drive to the new pc and get it to act like an external drive so I can get what I need off of it?

I had most of my stuff backed up on Mozy but, knowing my old pc was about to give in, I started backing some stuff up on another drive and with all the shifting around I was doing I had a handful of files that got lost on Mozy so I need to get back in that drive if I can.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Yes, you should be able to find a device that will attach to your one remaining drive and then connect to your working pc and then it should show up just like a USB thumb drive.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
You can slave the drive in a second pc, you may be able to get data off of your bad drive as well. If you comfortable getting into and removing parts from your pc I would be happy to explain the process.