Reports of P5 commisioners having emergency meeting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
That's only one of the reasons to consider. Many more reasons exist.
I’m just saying that reason seems illogical given the known data we have on concussions and the long term effects displayed with CTE.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Because of money and actually I think there's a trend of less kids playing it and I've got a couple of coaching friends that had the feeling it's going to eventually implode as a result.

Same issues exist in hockey and soccer. It may eventually implode and perhaps this simply accelerates that implosion.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Hey, what happened to that post of yours where you made fun of me and my family for contracting COVID-19? That seemed to disappear quickly.
play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I'll keep praying that your kid doesn't get it again.

• Dislike
Reactions: chuckd4735

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I’m just saying that reason seems illogical given the known data we have on concussions and the long term effects displayed with CTE.

Covid could impact a players performance on the field immediately and they might not ever be able to play again. CTE is a concern for when you retire. The immediacy is the difference.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same issues exist in hockey and soccer. It may eventually implode and perhaps this simply accelerates that implosion.

Yep.

Gonna have to adapt and find other things to strive for.

Positive is people that like to play hockey and soccer can still do that recreationally like basketball.

Football, not so much.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Because of money and actually I think there's a trend of less kids playing it and I've got a couple of coaching friends that had the feeling it's going to eventually implode as a result.
the local city team is full this year. I know my neighbors kids are ready to play and they are starting practice this week for the youth leagues.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Covid could impact a players performance on the field immediately and they might not ever be able to play again. CTE is a concern for when you retire. The immediacy is the difference.
Apparently you never met Austin Collie. Concussions have immediate impacts as well as long term impacts and the science is rock solid on both those points. The Co-Vid impact long-term may pan out but it will take 4-5 years at a minimum for the scientific community to come to that conclusion.
If that is your position then even with a vaccine (similar to flu vaccine—non eradication) we should not play football for 4-5 years until the scientific community comes to a conclusion on the long-term effects.

• Dumb
Reactions: Bigman38

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Apparently you never met Austin Collie. Concussions have immediate impacts as well as long term impacts and the science is rock solid on both those points. The Co-Vid impact long-term may pan out but it will take 4-5 years at a minimum for the scientific community to come to that conclusion.
If that is your position then even with a vaccine (similar to flu vaccine—non eradication) we should not play football for 4-5 years until the scientific community comes to a conclusion on the long-term effects.

Correct. The science is known and players are aware of the risks. The science isn't rock solid in this case.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yep.

Gonna have to adapt and find other things to strive for.

Positive is people that like to play hockey and soccer can still do that recreationally like basketball.

Football, not so much.

On a positive note with football going away you will probably only need 3-4 scholarship sports to be Division I. Title IX becomes a non-issue moving forward. Good times.

• Disagree
  • Dumb
Reactions: Cyclad and Bigman38

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Correct. The science is known and players are aware of the risks. The science isn't rock solid in this case.
Just to be clear, you are saying that we shut down college athletics for 4-5 years even if we develop a vaccine that has similar effects as the flu vaccine.

• Dumb

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I've said nothing of the sort.
So if we get a vaccine (similar to flu vaccine-Non eradication) for Co-Vid then you are okay going back to football despite the fact we won’t know the long-term effects of Co-Vid for 4-5 years?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So if we get a vaccine (similar to flu vaccine-Non eradication) for Co-Vid then you are okay going back to football despite the fact we won’t know the long-term effects of Co-Vid for 4-5 years?

Getting the spread of the virus under control is needed with or without a vaccine. Lowering the risk of infection should be the goal and that can be accomplished through mitigation. The long term effects aren't going to be known for some time. The goal has always been to control the spread.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Getting the spread of the virus under control is needed with or without a vaccine. Lowering the risk of infection should be the goal and that can be accomplished through mitigation. The long term effects aren't going to be known for some time. The goal has always been to control the spread.
So is that a Yes?

• Dumb

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I know, right? So many people on here need to get some perspective. I agree it’s disappointing, but it’s just a game
iu

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alarson

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Pretty serious twitter movement right now from a lot of players. I'm curious to see if it results in anything

Status
Not open for further replies.