Report: UT's Matt Campbell the worst hire in CFB (c.2012)

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
My son went to toledos ad and strongly suggested that he hire CMC. I think this was after his junior year. The ad later told my son he had hired him the day before but couldnt tell him....lol. If they would of hired an outsider, I think alot of really good players would of been willing to follow CMC wherever he ended up. Probably exactly one of the reasons toledo ad hired Candle at toledo when CMC left.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Just shows how little research/background sports media folks put into making their opinions. I am sure Matt Campbell was a better leader & coach after his Toledo HC experience. But if I had to opine, my guess is Matt ooooooozed leadership, vision and care for his players while an assistant at Mt Union & Toledo. Too many times media folks over emphasize the X & O's in coaching hires and forget about the HC's job to provide leadership, vision and create a culture.

I would HATE to lose Matt Campbell as ISU's head coach because of the success the Clones have had on the field. But the bigger loss is Matt Campbell as a leader of young men. My statements aren't based on any insider knowledge, but how he and his team present themselves in public. First Class All the Way!!

There is a bit of paranoia on this board about ISU losing Matt Campbell to a "traditional power". Again while I would hate for that to happen, I am hopeful there is a Matt Campbell clone on this staff and the great thing is Jamie Pollard has a front row seat to observe this assistant.
Could not of said it better myself. My sons experiences with CMC helped make him the fine young man and husband he is today.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
If there is a reason to love Coach Matt Campbell above all others, its that he properly wears a hat. The flat bill craze that afflicted the world 20-ish years ago needs to end immediately. There is no middle ground, this is right vs wrong and Matt does it right!

Totally agree...and the "Puff Daddy" cap on the top of the head is among the worst flat-bill looks.

Help Support Us

Become a patron