Report: UT's Matt Campbell the worst hire in CFB (c.2012)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
If there is a reason to love Coach Matt Campbell above all others, its that he properly wears a hat. The flat bill craze that afflicted the world 20-ish years ago needs to end immediately. There is no middle ground, this is right vs wrong and Matt does it right!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If there is a reason to love Coach Matt Campbell above all others, its that he properly wears a hat. The flat bill craze that afflicted the world 20-ish years ago needs to end immediately. There is no middle ground, this is right vs wrong and Matt does it right!
He bends a little more than I like but definitely looks better than that flat bill crap.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Thanks for the laugh OP!

Flat bills are a race/cultural thing. I used to hate the flat bill, but my wife's family from Chicago helped me appreciate the look. I'm more bothered when her family leaves the stickers on them. Its like owning a collectible toy that you want to keep mint in the box, but you're also gonna play with it "just a couple minutes."

• Friendly
Reactions: RezClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love the age reason for hires.

Sean McVay has shattered that stereotype in the NFL now.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There definitely is an art to getting the big just right. You can’t just throw it on and roll. You have to massage and work that thing until it’s just right. I feel like a lot of female folk just don’t appreciate the crafting it takes to get a bill to perfection.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I love the age reason for hires.

Sean McVay has shattered that stereotype in the NFL now.

Matt Lafleur too.

Players like coaches that relate to them and that's really not that different than forever ago....the generational gaps make a difference I think although I think there's still older coaches that understand that.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Watching the press conference and now understanding how genuine Matt is reinforces my belief he'll never leave for the NFL. Building Relationships just doesn't happen at that level.

Reactions: aauummm

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Just shows how little research/background sports media folks put into making their opinions. I am sure Matt Campbell was a better leader & coach after his Toledo HC experience. But if I had to opine, my guess is Matt ooooooozed leadership, vision and care for his players while an assistant at Mt Union & Toledo. Too many times media folks over emphasize the X & O's in coaching hires and forget about the HC's job to provide leadership, vision and create a culture.

I would HATE to lose Matt Campbell as ISU's head coach because of the success the Clones have had on the field. But the bigger loss is Matt Campbell as a leader of young men. My statements aren't based on any insider knowledge, but how he and his team present themselves in public. First Class All the Way!!

There is a bit of paranoia on this board about ISU losing Matt Campbell to a "traditional power". Again while I would hate for that to happen, I am hopeful there is a Matt Campbell clone on this staff and the great thing is Jamie Pollard has a front row seat to observe this assistant.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Now the media just can't stop speculating at how great of a hire he would be for every one with an opening.

There’s a reason Sports Illustrated’s readers have been in a downward spiral for years

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean