REPORT: Prohm tabs Small for his staff

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Actively cheer for failure? Try again. I have never cheered against any of my teams. Some of us live in reality and see a red flag when presented with one. It makes the letdown that much easier to deal with.

That would be one thing, but the people that are the most pessimistic and the most angry about **** they can't change and/or don't know a thing about are the same people that freak the hell out when things go wrong. You guys don't deal with the letdown.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I might be sounding a little crazy right about now, but what if....now hear me out....what...if...Prohm's assistant coaches on staff have been greatly valued by Prohm himself for their coaching abilities to develop these kids for Prohm's system?

I know, I know, that's a weird quality to value on a coaching staff.

I don't doubt this is true, no one has really criticized what they do with the current kids. I think its great that Prohm has confidence in his guys but at some point, you have to have at least one stud assistant who can reel kids in, I don't see that guy on this staff yet. I'm willing to give the coaches some slack due to recruiting being a 2 or 3 year process for a lot of kids. It makes sense they weren't in on a ton of top 100/150 type of kids prior to arriving in Ames.

Robinson is really the only coach that concerns me as he's supposed to have ties to one of if not the best recruiting grounds in the mid west, yet we have never really seen it pay off for ISU. I will say he can prove his worth if he brings along Cam Lard the way he did Solomon. The question marks surrounding next season give this staff a huge opportunity to prove how well they can develop kids. Hopefully they prove themselves and quiet a lot of their critics.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Maybe base success on last year's results. We finished the year pretty strong. Who cares who does what. Don't worry about what might happen!

• Agree

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Jeez, over a hundred posts and not a single....

giphy.gif

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There's a difference between preparing for a let down and staying constantly pessimistic so you can tell people "I told you so" when something poor happens. Its not necessarily rooting against your team, but it is like placing a bet against them, so you're a winner either way with the team winning or getting the cash.

Its sports, it's supposed to be fun to watch, and it doesn't seem as enjoyable to constantly hedge your bets in terms of enjoying success.

I know a guy who absolutely loves baseball, but he won't watch the 9th inning of a close game. It is just too much stress for him. The fear of his team losing robs him of the joy of watching his team win. He needs some serious therapy.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Actively cheer for failure? Try again. I have never cheered against any of my teams. Some of us live in reality and see a red flag when presented with one. It makes the letdown that much easier to deal with.

An even handed approach is great. But mostly I see an effort to piss in everyone else's Cheerios.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

I think it is true that while people who are constantly critical of a team don't actively cheer for failure, there is an element of hoping for failure, even if on a subconscious level, if for no other reason than to be able to say, "I told you so," when and if that failure eventually occurs.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
That would be one thing, but the people that are the most pessimistic and the most angry about **** they can't change and/or don't know a thing about are the same people that freak the hell out when things go wrong. You guys don't deal with the letdown.

"You guys". Thats rich lumping me in with that crowd. Especially coming from the same woman who refused to let Fred go.

Reactions: rholtgraves

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I think you can probably just summarize it as most of the kids from AAU. Not sure it matters what location they are from.
From AAU? The vast majority of D1 basketball recruits, especially P5 level guys, play AAU.

• Agree

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
A bunch of armchair coaches in here judging coaches with little to no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes. Brilliant.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think about it this way. I can't play the piano, no piano skills at all. What I can do is sit in the audience and listen to a someone play the piano. Now I may not be able to tell if the piano player is world class or just really, really good but what I can tell you is if they are just plain bad.

Small and DRob are bad piano players.

I don't care where my meat comes from. I just want it to be delicious.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron