REPORT: Prohm tabs Small for his staff

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
What are Small's duties on the staff? I know Robinson coaches the bigs and he is known for being pretty good at that. Berry helps coach the guards I believe.

I thought he was mostly brought in for recruiting but could be wrong about that. I wonder if he took over for TJ in doing a lot of the scouting and gameplan areas.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
It's a results business. The results have come from Prohm.

IMO he should consider moving on from at least Robinson. We are in the Midwest. While Small is down south swinging for the fences - of which i'm cool with - we need somebody that's able to sell kids on Midwestern roots. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Chicago, Kansas City. Those are the connections we should be looking for from one of the assistants. What has Robinson done? Like, at all?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
how dare anyone ever question whether an assistant is a good recruiter!!! That is blasphemy! People are basically saying they hate Prohm by questioning an assistant and that is not ok with me! If you don't have anything but positive things to say on this message board, then don't say anything at all. Especially if you are an idiot fan.

There's a difference between criticizing a coach's performance and being a douchebag about it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Small had a rough year, but he's newish to the program. The one that never made any sense from the start was Robinson. What is the best contributor he's been the lead on? He's had to have been here for at least 5 seasons total.

• Agree
Reactions: nickcyv

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Small had a rough year, but he's newish to the program. The one that never made any sense from the start was Robinson. What is the best contributor he's been the lead on? He's had to have been here for at least 5 seasons total.

I'm sure I missed some people but off the top of my head for Robinson the last year

Daniyal Robinson
-Ed Morrow
-Elijah Brown
-Jeff Beverly
-Terrance Lewis

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
There's a few things worth debating (without being a jerk about it), IMHO.

Prohm has his three recruiting assistants focused on three areas, with the obvious idea that Prohm is a major recruiter himself (ex A being wigginton).

DRob: Chicago/TX
Small: South
Berry: South/other

That's a tough set up, if you ask me. Not because any of those guys are bad guys, by most accounts, they're well liked, connected, etc. But how do you get players to Ames, IA? No one was better at that than TJ, again IMHO.

I think Chicago is tricky. Shady AAU programs, poor academic high schools, and a heavily recruited area that leads to kids being over hyped. The top kids in chicago will be recruited by Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, and Izzo - good luck with that. And no one has more connections to that scene than the lead assistants at KU and now IL. So right off the bat, we're going for Chicago leftovers.

And Small has maybe the toughest job of all - getting kids from the South to play bball in Ames, IA. Can it be done? I hope he can, but as we've already seen, its going to be really hard.

Berry seems to be Prohm's buddy and if Prohm likes him, I like him.

Will Prohm make changes in the future to this strategy? I'd think he will, but we'll have to see how it works out, to me its still early (but the challenge seems great).

(Oh and I know we've made an effort in St. Louis but Cuonzo Martin is going to own that, I'd argue).

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'd much rather live in my world then in your world were you actively cheer for failure more than success. What a petty existence.

Actively cheer for failure? Try again. I have never cheered against any of my teams. Some of us live in reality and see a red flag when presented with one. It makes the letdown that much easier to deal with.

• Disagree

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I might be sounding a little crazy right about now, but what if....now hear me out....what...if...Prohm's assistant coaches on staff have been greatly valued by Prohm himself for their coaching abilities to develop these kids for Prohm's system?

I know, I know, that's a weird quality to value on a coaching staff.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Actively cheer for failure? Try again. I have never cheered against any of my teams. Some of us live in reality and see a red flag when presented with one. It makes the letdown that much easier to deal with.

I don't think this is the case for some of you.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
It's a results business. The results have come from Prohm.

IMO he should consider moving on from at least Robinson. We are in the Midwest. While Small is down south swinging for the fences - of which i'm cool with - we need somebody that's able to sell kids on Midwestern roots. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Chicago, Kansas City. Those are the connections we should be looking for from one of the assistants. What has Robinson done? Like, at all?
Coach. Coaches do more than just recruit. In not saying he's great, but none of us really know what each assistant coach does. To base their worth on getting 1 or 2 recruits is foolish.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar and jim4

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There's a few things worth debating (without being a jerk about it), IMHO.

Prohm has his three recruiting assistants focused on three areas, with the obvious idea that Prohm is a major recruiter himself (ex A being wigginton).

DRob: Chicago/TX
Small: South
Berry: South/other

That's a tough set up, if you ask me. Not because any of those guys are bad guys, by most accounts, they're well liked, connected, etc. But how do you get players to Ames, IA? No one was better at that than TJ, again IMHO.

I think Chicago is tricky. Shady AAU programs, poor academic high schools, and a heavily recruited area that leads to kids being over hyped. The top kids in chicago will be recruited by Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, and Izzo - good luck with that. And no one has more connections to that scene than the lead assistants at KU and now IL. So right off the bat, we're going for Chicago leftovers.

And Small has maybe the toughest job of all - getting kids from the South to play bball in Ames, IA. Can it be done? I hope he can, but as we've already seen, its going to be really hard.

Berry seems to be Prohm's buddy and if Prohm likes him, I like him.

Will Prohm make changes in the future to this strategy? I'd think he will, but we'll have to see how it works out, to me its still early (but the challenge seems great).

(Oh and I know we've made an effort in St. Louis but Cuonzo Martin is going to own that, I'd argue).
I, respectively, disagree with your fundamental '2nd-tier' belief. If I had that way of thinking, we would never have won a B8 championship. We went from last to first in my years there with the fundamental belief: "No one is above us". A 'defeatist' attitude will never help any program. Iowa State has nothing to apologize for. In fact, there are so many selling points to the university it stands second to no one.

As for the 'Debbie downers'; I tend to agree with the why 'negative' stuff. In fact, if you sit down and think about it, there's no argument for being negative. You might get everybody to the tea party, and force a change. But, what good does that do? We have great coaches, great direction, and quite simply the best AD in the nation.

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014
There's a difference between preparing for a let down and staying constantly pessimistic so you can tell people "I told you so" when something poor happens. Its not necessarily rooting against your team, but it is like placing a bet against them, so you're a winner either way with the team winning or getting the cash.

Its sports, it's supposed to be fun to watch, and it doesn't seem as enjoyable to constantly hedge your bets in terms of enjoying success.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
There's a difference between preparing for a let down and staying constantly pessimistic so you can tell people "I told you so" when something poor happens. Its not necessarily rooting against your team, but it is like placing a bet against them, so you're a winner either way with the team winning or getting the cash.

Its sports, it's supposed to be fun to watch, and it doesn't seem as enjoyable to constantly hedge your bets in terms of enjoying success.

I've been calling for seven wins in football since the end of last season. I'm not a pessimistic person.

As far as being right or wrong, I could give a **** less about that. When I'm wrong I admit it and eat crow. Just because there are issues in this program that I'm vocal about doesn't mean I'm not rooting like hell that the boys prove Me wrong.

The attacks on people who dont **** rainbows out their ass and choose to have a different opinion has gotten ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Help Support Us

Become a patron