Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Problem is with two 16 team leagues there’d be two odd men out. Don’t know how that’d shake out.

TCU and Baylor get the boot. The PAC12 will not take a religious based school under any circumstances.

They'll hold their noses and take KState and TT academics before they go the religious route.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I work in Iowa City here and have since 2007 when I graduated ISU. Nearly EVERY Hawk fan I've talked to today actually likes the idea of ISU in the Big 10.
I think they ultimately do enjoy our rivalry. Plus gives them more schedule flexibility so we don’t have to sacrifice a non conf game for them every single year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Additionally, this may immediately allow for the Big 12 to renegotiate a TV rights contract as there is a change in schools, which means they would be in the advantageous spot of being the first conference to the table to strike up an agreement with the new, big-time streaming players to the rights game.
The reason we are in this situation is the Big12 approached ESPN/Fox last fall to see if if they would negotiate early. The response was NO.

Pretty obvious ESPN & Fox weren't prioritizing the Big12 and that was when Texas and OU were in the Big12.

Although, it would not surprise me that ESPN was already part of the UT/OU to SEC move.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The reason we are in this situation is the Big12 approached ESPN/Fox last fall to see if if they would negotiate early. The response was NO.

Pretty obvious ESPN & Fox weren't prioritizing the Big12 and that was when Texas and OU were in the Big12.

Although, it would not surprise me that ESPN was already part of the UT/OU to SEC move.
Your last paragraph was it. They already knew and/or told them why don’t you go to the SEC and we will say no.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't think private or public matters. Northwestern is a private institution.
True, what I am saying is would the state of California allow UCLA to leave, knowing full well that the other state school will die because of it. Politics on the west coast is a little different than in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Reactions: Clonefan94

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Again, FOX owns the PAC inventory right now at 100%. Why would they have any interest letting half of their other cash cows team up with the B1G where ESPN currently has a minor foothold? They’re giving their content away, and as so giving up being relevant in college football rights if that is the case.
Right now FOX televises select Pac12 games. The majority of Pac12 games are through Pac12 Network, which the Pac12 owns.

• Agree

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
I think they ultimately do enjoy our rivalry. Plus gives them more schedule flexibility so we don’t have to sacrifice a non conf game for them every single year.
I think the nice ones say the right things.

But the majority, no matter what they say, are going to dance on our grave.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Pretty obvious now that Nebraska was right to leave.
Absolutely not. If Nebraska had stayed they may be relevant today and have a chance now to ascend to the top of the pecking order as the flagship program in the Big 12. Instead they are an afterthought.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think this is ESPN's "Battle of the Bulge" They are cratering and they need a "Hail Mary".

Not sure how they're cratering.

Sports is more valuable now than ever because it's one of the few things people will still almost always watch live and not skip commercials

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron