Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Sucks, but can't deny that it makes more sense for the B1G.

KU compared to us: higher athletics revenue, similar research $, and a medical school.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
It makes sense from a win-loss perspective. It gives Nebraska a definite chance for win 1 every year. Plus, they don’t have to travel far for a possible road win.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Has the investigation of the KU Basketball program been completed? It would be inconvenient if any bad news came out at this time. I am assuming that there was nothing uncovered or we would have heard by now.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Has the investigation of the KU Basketball program been completed? It would be inconvenient if any bad news came out at this time. I am assuming that there was nothing uncovered or we would have heard by now.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I would much prefer the Big 10 take USC and Oregon than Colorado and KU. If the latter happens, I don't think the Pac 12 will pursue Iowa State.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I would much prefer the Big 10 take USC and Oregon than Colorado and KU. If the latter happens, I don't think the Pac 12 will pursue Iowa State.
Sadly, I don't think the Pac will pursue ISU under any circumstance. Not sure why, but the National Group Think is that ISU is worthless - which is bunk - of course! Nothing that a Big Xii Championship and a couple of Position Trophies couldn't cure!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
But why would USC and Oregon want to play and travel 4 times a year to the Central and Eastern time zones? There has to be more than money, for every game with Ohio State and Michigan, you get one with Maryland and Rutgers.

The other sports would be a killer, they do not have a wrestling team nor a hockey team for the league. Can you imagine their baseball teams playing games in the upper Midwest in the spring.
I get why the Big 10 would want them, but I struggle with why the Pac 12 schools would want the big 10 other than the money.

If this merger does happen, I never thought KU would be going. They are the one school that could get an invite from the ACC, as its a BB conference first, and football second. If you are KU wouldn't you rather be playing closer games with Duke, UNC and Cuse as going to UCLA and Oregon?

We need to stop listening to Iowa fans that keep preaching how ISU brings no value, that is to the big 10 and only to the big ten when one thinks about their ability to charge people more to get BTN. But that is going away, ISU is an AAU school, with a fine history in both men's and woman's bb, wrestling and an up and coming football program. In terms of attendence in the last full year, ISU would have finished 3rd in the Pac 12 for their league and right behind Iowa in the Big 10.

There is value in ISU and its growing, and if the powers that be in the Big 10 do not realize it then they will lose us to the Pac 12.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If you are KU wouldn't you rather be playing closer games with Duke, UNC and Cuse as going to UCLA and Oregon?
KU to UNC/Duke/Cuse is 2.5hrs flight time.

KU to USC/UCLA is 3hrs flight time. Eugene, Corvallis and Seattle are 3.5hrs.

Distance between schools only matters if they drive and they aren't driving for football or MBB.

Reactions: Jer and AlaCyclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The only way this Kansas rumor would make sense is if one other team is also leaving. Kansas wouldn’t want to put themselves at the same buyout risk that OU and UT are facing. If they know one other team is leaving, then KU secures their future and avoids the buyout.
Why does the internet keep portraying that if 4 teams decide to leave then the GOR and charters are over? Doesn't make any sense. It's not a majority in any which way.

I'm guessing because 4 makes it "impossible" to hit a super majority in a 10 team vote. What people don't understand is that they thought of this and once you're a disinterested party (ie someone leaving) you lose your right to vote. So now you made a 10 team vote a 6 team vote.

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why does the internet keep portraying that if 4 teams decide to leave then the GOR and charters are over? Doesn't make any sense. It's not a majority in any which way.

I'm guessing because 4 makes it "impossible" to hit a super majority in a 10 team vote. What people don't understand is that they thought of this and once you're a disinterested party (ie someone leaving) you lose your right to vote. So now you made a 10 team vote a 6 team vote.
I believe 6 of the 8 remaining would have to vote to dissolve the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron