Renting a Cyclone Tent

Discussion in 'Football' started by cycloner29, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:41 AM.

1. cycloner29

cycloner29 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Marketing
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,483 / 86 / -0
    Thinking about renting a standard tent for the Texas game (all games prior are sold out), as this is one of the bigger games on the schedule. $975 includes 4 parking passes and vendor pass to park next to the tent. Has anyone on here rented one before? Just wanting to get people's experience good and bad before pulling the trigger on it. TIA!!

2. cyco2000

cyco2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Ratings:
    +161 / 5 / -0
    It's been a good experience. Make sure you have a way to keep stray drunks and freeloaders away from your area. If it's a business event, having your own port-a-potty is a killer way to keep people happy since there won't be lines, but keeping gen pop out can be an issue.

Mostly, things you can't control (like the weather) determine how fun those events are.

Side note: They're much more fun to attend instead of manage, but all-in-all I'd say do it.

3. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,802 / 57 / -2
    We rented a tent for our "Rehearsal Dinner." Ended up having Hickory Park cater, but I believe we picked up the food, so that's irrelevant I guess.

It worked out really well and the folks at ISU were really easy to work with. Still have the sign from the tent hanging in our ISU room.

There were some stragglers, but nothing out of hand. We lucked out being fairly close to a toilet, but not too close, if you know what I mean ;)

4. STATE12

STATE12 Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +139 / 8 / -0
    On the port-a-potty item: Often see snow fence or caution tape or something from the back side of the port-a-potty in a cone shape for a few feet to within the tent area. Not 100%, but forces any of the riff raff to actually enter your tent area instead of just sliding into it discreetly on the side without being noticed.

Surprising how clean they can actually remain when known users don't destroy them knowing that somebody they know will follow them using it!

5. throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +1,274 / 20 / -0
    I've rented one as part of an engineering alumni group before. Seemed fairly seamless working with ISU. Of course, you'll want to reserve yours as early as possible.

We always had HyVee cater and they do a great job. They'll deliver, setup, and tear down all the food/drink items for you for a good price.

I second the other poster who said expect freeloaders to invade your tailgate. Especially if you have a large group, there are always a few inebriated students who will casually wander into your event to swipe food and beers.

6. cycloner29

cycloner29 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Marketing
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,483 / 86 / -0
    Trigger has been pulled. Not expecting many maybe 30-40 people at most along with out 10 in our group so it should be a good time. Next gotta wait and see when game time will be. Thanks!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 40 / -0
    Our Kybo in our tent didn't get empty and was basicly full and semi frozen at the end of the year. We just let the people sneak in it and sheepishly leave after seeing it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SayMyName

SayMyName Active Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Male
    Cook
    ABQ
    Ratings:
    +403 / 25 / -1
    Open invite to fellow CFers, right?

• Like Like x 1