Rental Cars

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
2 Questions about Car Rentals:

1. Are there any companies that allow 19 year olds to rent a car? My mom tells me that all companies require you to be 25, but on some websites I'm given the option of selecting "18-20" as an age group which then leads to "we're sorry we can't rent to that age, etc".....are there any out there?

2. If I have a brother who is 28 and would be willing to "rent" a car and give me the keys once we get outside, what sort of legal ramifications are there? Is there anyway they would find out?

The idea of doing #2 is not sitting well with me , but right now it seems to be the only option. I'm planning a spring break trip to St Louis with a friend and my car isn't exactly in great condition and we don't want to pay $100 each for a hotel and risk never even getting there due to car problems. This is a car that runs through engine fluids in no time, has bad gas mileage, and died about 6 weeks ago and despite getting it "fixed" (whatever that means in mechanic terms) it still makes worrisome sounds. Not to mention that it's 7 years old and has more miles than it should--let' s just say that when it's been to 39 states including both coasts, it's got a few miles to it's name.

If #2 is the only option we may end up not going, just wondering if anyone can answer either question.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am not sure any of the big rental companies rent to under 25. I would think this would be illegal, but they still get away with it.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
There are companies that will rent them to under 25 year olds... they just charge a premium. My younger brother (22) had to rent a few weeks ago and they charged him an extra $25 a day I think.

He rented from Enterprise.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
1. Check with several companies, some will rent to those young as 18, but the majors usually limit it to 25.

2. Option #2 may be fine. If your brother lists you as a secondary driver you might be able to drive the car and be within the terms of the rental company. Check with the company and ask about secondary driver age requirements.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
if you are really desperate U-Haul rents to 18 year olds...

Seriously though, I think one or two of the places might rent to 18+. Not sure though. I think option number 2 sounds risky, especially if you aren't anywhere close to where you rented the car and get in an accident.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure Enterprise will rent to under-25, but you have to be at least 21 I think.

You CAN be put on a car that someone else rents, I believe. I don't know the legal ramifications of it though.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Rent a car for your brother to drive and then you take his car (if his car is road trip worthy that is.) No legal concerns because you get his car and he drives a rental that is in his name

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I know Hertz rents to under 25, but I think they still want you to be like 20 or 21, and they'll charge you up the *** in a extra surcharge

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
#2 I know that no one is supposed to drive the car unless the company knows about it. I am not sure on the age requirements, but I would think if you went in with your brother you could be both listed as drivers. If you are driving and get in an accident and aren't listed as a driver I believe you could have some legal problems, don't want to get into that situation!

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I know Hertz rents to under 25, but I think they still want you to be like 20 or 21, and they'll charge you up the *** in a extra surcharge

One time in Florida they dropped the surchage for some reason. Last time I looked the fee was around $27 a day.

Before I have had my GF's dad rent a car for her and me to drive to get around the fee. Not sure of the problems that can cause thought.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
What exactly is wrong with your car. Does it leak the fluids you talked about in your first thread or does it smoke pretty bad at the tailpipe? If you're not too mechanically inclined, I could try and help check your car out to see if it is something simple or as serious as you think it is.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I got a snowblower you can check out!

Already got that beast figured out. Limp it through tomorrow's 6-8" of snow and the rest of the storms and we'll have that thing in tip top shape by next Winter.....:wink:

If not, we'll just use my Massey Ferguson..:biggrin:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Sounds like tomorrow I can plug it back up with 4-7 inches of heavy wet crap that won't blow anywhere. That beast will be throwing oil farther than the snow!