Remembering food and beverages from childhood

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I can't believe nobody said this one:

surge-16oz.jpg
Same. I kept scrolling expecting to see it. It's the first 90s pop that comes to mind for me.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Oh man, this takes me back. I'd forgotten this ever existed, but just seeing the can brings on flashbacks of all the times my dad would get me a can from the vending machine before we'd tee off on the third hole of the golf course right by our house.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
We had a mom and pop gas station in my hometown that sold Doritos and Cheetos in aluminum cans. People think I’m weird when I bring it up in conversation. Anybody else have these?

Attachments

• 5D6FC0EF-A692-445E-A3AE-355CF2D3F09C.jpeg
    5D6FC0EF-A692-445E-A3AE-355CF2D3F09C.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 5

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
They sell them in bitesize pieces in boxes like the Mike & Ike or Whoppers movie size boxes. We buy them all the time at HyVee.
Kwik Star has the full size ones sometimes too. Every now and then I get one to take home and freeze. That’s how they sold them at the pool.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
This thread reminds me of something my wife and I always bring up a few times a year. And that’s what things in the last decade up until the present will we look back on in 20 years (just like this thread) and be like, “Whoa people bought this or they actually sold this!?!?”

I just always find it funny when people talk like what we have now is so superior to things in the ‘90s or before and that we’ve learned our lessons (things like candy cigarettes) but anyone who doesn’t think the same thing is going to happen to today’s products is kidding themselves. There will be things that we learn about and look back on now and say, “Yikes!”

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Red Baron used to make mini breakfast pizzas with a biscuit like crust, sausage gravy as the sauce, with cheese, eggs, and sausage (or bacon or ham).

DE26692E-2B1F-4691-8C6F-483258F0141F.jpeg

It was a big part of my 9-14 ages as my dad would make one for him and me as breakfast before his chemo treatments. It became a bi weekly ritual for us for a long time.

Just eating those and talking about whatever before I would go to chemo with him. They discontinued them for a little bit like 2007-2012 before bringing them back just before he passed in 2013. It was one of his last solid food meals he had while I was there with him in hospice.

It’s a long shot but if anyone found one, I would love to know. Seems like they’re discontinued again or extremely hard to find. Might even pay a good chunk of change for a box to get shipped to me as it’s coming up on 10 years and it would be a nice memory to reminisce.

I’ll think or more happy ones but that just immediately came to mind for me

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
They used to have what was basically the same thing in those Braach's Pik-A-Mix bins. It was just one blob of the white nougat in the middle surrounded by a ring of the caramel.
I haven't been able to find the Brach's candies that we like recently - the jelly nougats and the milk maids. :(

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
We had a mom and pop gas station in my hometown that sold Doritos and Cheetos in aluminum cans. People think I’m weird when I bring it up in conversation. Anybody else have these?
I think I read or saw something one time about those. They were designed so they could be sold in Pop machines. That way you could sell Pepsi and Doritos in one machine at the time etc.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
When I was a young whipper-snapper in the early 90's I remember my favorite candy was gummy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that were always for sale on the low shelves right at the gas station cash register where I'd see those little suckers every single time. I'm sure my parents remember that well. Screenshot_20230128_114714.jpg

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not a particularly fond memory, but was anyone else forced to drink powdered milk as a kid in the 80's? God, that **** was gross. We didn't switch over to regular milk in a carton/plastic, until I was a teenager. After talking to my mom about it, as an adult, she said "We could have gotten regular milk at any time!" "I just never bought the regular milk, because nobody ever complained about the powdered!" MOM, nobody ever complained because we would have gotten our ass handed to us, for complaining! All those lost years... SMH

Truly awful stuff. My grandma had it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do they still make the frozen concentrate juice in a can? I used to just eat the apple juice like a slushee.