Remembering food and beverages from childhood

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My Mom always thought we should eat breakfast before school and I was never hungry. Then she would make me drink Carnation Instant Breakfast, which I hated. I talked her into just letting me drink a glass of chocolate milk.

My Dad hunted and fished and always wanted us to consume what he got. I was good with the fish, but never liked duck much and despised squirrel.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I can't believe nobody said this one:

surge-16oz.jpg
16oz can?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I remember having Tang as a kid. "It's Just Not for Breakfast Anymore". If it was good enough for the astronauts, it was good enough for me.

For some reason, I had a thing for Charleston Chew candy bars. Don't think they sell them in stores anymore, but notice they sell online in bulk on Ebay. Not sure what a 40 year old candy bar tastes like.
They sell them in bitesize pieces in boxes like the Mike & Ike or Whoppers movie size boxes. We buy them all the time at HyVee.

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Birthday parties was was this with 7up mixed in for a fizzy punch. My mom would make it at every Birthday Party. Several cans of Hawaiian Punch and some 7up in a punch bowl or pitcher or similar for the drink.
My mother would put chunks of lime sherbet in the punch bowl with it. It was AMAZING.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Absolutely!!!!

But we had a couple of these in different sizes. We had an extra large one strictly reserved for Milk. As I mentioned in the other thread we got our milk, straight from the Bulk Tank so it was always in a pitcher.

And the normal 2 liter size was for other drinks.

We had several like this too, that I think we got free from somewhere, as I think there was a business label on some of the lids.

View attachment 108892

Bulk tank milk Mmmmmmm good.

Reactions: 2speedy1

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Maybe one of you older folks can help me remember a snack - it was basically a cheesy chex mix, but it was before Chex started marketing their own bagged snack mixes. The reason I liked it is because it didn't have the "filler" type breadsticks/pretzels.
I feel like it started with a doodle or something like that. It came in a box, not a snack bag.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Book it, pan pizza that was huge in the late 80's early 90's. I think you had to fill out a slip of paper with all the you read.

I now remember all the NCAA basketball stuff the sold or gave away.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
My mother would put chunks of lime sherbet in the punch bowl with it. It was AMAZING.
I have had that at other peoples houses... my mom never got that "Fancy" LOL. Nah, my mom just never made it that way even though others did.

My birthday parties usually consisted of a hot dish or two, a home made cake decorated by my mom, and the above mentioned punch, for the family parties with cousins, aunts, uncles grandparents etc.

Friends parties, sleepover type things we usually got frozen pizza, and maybe a rented movie!! although I was lucky enough to have a McDonalds party 1 time, I think in first grade, back when they had the old McD playground with the character playground equip.

Its funny, I'm pretty sure we struggled pretty hard for a few years, but as kids we really never knew. Plus I think in the area I lived during that time EVERYONE was struggling.

I know there were always things we wish we had, as I think all kids want for things, but we never went without things we needed, my parents always made sure of that.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I have had that at other peoples houses... my mom never got that "Fancy" LOL. Nah, my mom just never made it that way even though others did.

My birthday parties usually consisted of a hot dish or two, a home made cake decorated by my mom, and the above mentioned punch, for the family parties with cousins, aunts, uncles grandparents etc.

Friends parties, sleepover type things we usually got frozen pizza, and maybe a rented movie!! although I was lucky enough to have a McDonalds party 1 time, I think in first grade, back when they had the old McD playground with the character playground equip.

Its funny, I'm pretty sure we struggled pretty hard for a few years, but as kids we really never knew. Plus I think in the area I lived during that time EVERYONE was struggling.

I know there were always things we wish we had, as I think all kids want for things, but we never went without things we needed, my parents always made sure of that.

Great post....I feel the same. Little things back then were a big deal or seemed like one! We had rough times, but I can remember even the excitement when on a Saturday we'd drive the 10 miles or so and get McDonalds drive through! Same with birthdays and other occasions...always felt planned/special.

That's why I love this thread....many of the items I recall fondly for that time of my life as a kid...just long summers and the joy of a rented movie!

Reactions: 2speedy1 and NWICY

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Book it, pan pizza that was huge in the late 80's early 90's. I think you had to fill out a slip of paper with all the you read.

I now remember all the NCAA basketball stuff the sold or gave away.

Was a Friday night going out with the family staple.

For a few of those years we got the book it pizzas for my younger sisters and we would eat one of these…..Priazzo Milano. Tasty!

1674887904487.jpeg

Reactions: 2speedy1