Remembering food and beverages from childhood

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I figured out why I remembered Tidbits - they were one of the five ingredients. DooDads had pretzels, but they were the thin sticks, not big chunks or circles that dried out your mouth. And peanuts...BONUS!
HyVee makes a pretty good snack mix thaT Lincoln Center used to carry all the time back near the bakery, but now they only make it every once in a while. They had it available around Christmas/New Year's Eve, but I had already made a chex mix of my own. Theirs is better. :oops:
:(
Oh yeah, I remember those being pretty good. F23ED15D-3DDA-4E9E-881B-6F83DDE58DC4.jpeg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I figured out why I remembered Tidbits - they were one of the five ingredients. DooDads had pretzels, but they were the thin sticks, not big chunks or circles that dried out your mouth. And peanuts...BONUS!
HyVee makes a pretty good snack mix thaT Lincoln Center used to carry all the time back near the bakery, but now they only make it every once in a while. They had it available around Christmas/New Year's Eve, but I had already made a chex mix of my own. Theirs is better. :oops:
:(
I think they were Mr Salty pretzels.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
There was a lot of strategy in my day with the buffets which usually involved a couple newspapers, some fasting and a couple bongs. I have no idea how the buffet places stayed open as long as they did! LOL

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
- I remember Marathon candy bars. They were huge, a good value.

- Also I know Grandma’s brand cookies are still around, but they’re about half the size they were when they first hit the market. Remember when the rumor was going around that plastic was one of the ingredients?

- For breakfast cereals, there’s Quisp and King Vit-A-Min and a ton of others I can’t remember right now.

- I drank my share of grape and strawberry soda back in the day, a lot of it Nesbitt’s. My great uncle ran a small-engine repair shop with one of those pop machines where the bottles hung from racks, and you‘d slide it over to the spot where the plastic lever would release to get the bottle out after you put your money in … we could usually beg him for the change to get something out of there for free. Seems like there might have been a chocolate flavor soda at one time? Not Yoo-Hoo, but something else?
Yes remember those pop machines that you had to slide the bottle along a rack so great drinking pop out of a bottle a cold orange crush then if the business had a peanut machine you would put in a coin get a hand full of peanuts and put them in your bottle of pop, great memories

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What about when Pizza Hut looked like this and had a buffet and you could read a book for a personal pan pizza?

View attachment 109049

Pizza Hut is sitting on a gold mine if they would just bring back their pan pizza before it sucked and charge the extra $5 to have decent ingredients on it and make it more fresh.

Look at youtube videos where professional cooks/foodies make their own pan pizzas in 12" cast iron pans, people go absolutely nuts for it. Almost all the comments are about how good pizza hut used to be before the race to the bottom for crappy cheap pizza.

It would be a great idea for a business and you could market it as "Pan pizza you remember from childhood" without actually mentioning Pizza Hut, the implication would be that Pizza Hut sucks now but used to be good.

Their thin crust and hand tossed was good in the 80s/early 90s too but you can get similar a million places.

Reactions: cyfanatic

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Pizza Hut is sitting on a gold mine if they would just bring back their pan pizza before it sucked and charge the extra $5 to have decent ingredients on it and make it more fresh.

Look at youtube videos where professional cooks/foodies make their own pan pizzas in 12" cast iron pans, people go absolutely nuts for it. Almost all the comments are about how good pizza hut used to be before the race to the bottom for crappy cheap pizza.

It would be a great idea for a business and you could market it as "Pan pizza you remember from childhood" without actually mentioning Pizza Hut, the implication would be that Pizza Hut sucks now but used to be good.

Their thin crust and hand tossed was good in the 80s/early 90s too but you can get similar a million places.
For what it was, and cost, Pizza Hut used to be very good. It had that distinct crust. Now it’s just another cheap-er pizza

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic