Remember when we debated preseason all-conference?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Here's what the media said before the fact. I've picked my postseason choices. Three guards is a problem, I know. Yours?

Preseason Player of the Year
: Devonte’ Graham, Kansas (G, 6-2, 185, Sr., Raleigh, N.C./Brester Academy [N.H.]) Keenan Evans, TxT
Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Malik Newman, Kansas (G, 6-3, 190, So., Jackson, Miss./Callaway/Mississippi State) IDK and don't care/dumb award
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Mohamed Bamba, Texas (F, 6-11, 225, Harlem, N.Y./Westtown School[Pa.]) Trae Young, OU

Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Student-Athlete, School Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Pts. Reb. Hometown/Previous School(s)
Trae Young, OU Devonte' Graham, Kansas^ G 6-2 185 Sr. 13.4 3.1 Raleigh, N.C./Brewster Academy (N.H
Keenan Evans, TxT Jeffrey Carroll, Oklahoma State^ G/F 6-6 220 Sr. 17.5 6.6 Rowlett, Texas/Rowlett
Dean Wade, K-State Vladimir Brodziansky, TCU F 6-11 230 Sr. 14.1 5.7 Prievidza, Slovakia/Canarias
Mo Bamba, UT Zach Smith, Texas Tech F 6-8 220 Sr. 12.1 7.2 Plano, Texas/Plano East
Jevon Carter, West Virginia^ G 6-2 205 Sr. 13.5 5.0 Maywood, Ill./Proviso East

Last edited:

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Here's what the media said before the fact. I've picked my choices. Yours?

: Devonte’ Graham, Kansas (G, 6-2, 185, Sr., Raleigh, N.C./Brester Academy [N.H.]) Keenan Evans, TxT
Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Malik Newman, Kansas (G, 6-3, 190, So., Jackson, Miss./Callaway/Mississippi State) IDK and don't care
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Mohamed Bamba, Texas (F, 6-11, 225, Harlem, N.Y./Westtown School[Pa.]) Trae Young, OU

Student-Athlete, School Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Pts. Reb. Hometown/Previous School(s)
Trae Young, OU Devonte' Graham, Kansas^ G 6-2 185 Sr. 13.4 3.1 Raleigh, N.C./Brewster Academy (N.H
Keenan Evans, TxT Jeffrey Carroll, Oklahoma State^ G/F 6-6 220 Sr. 17.5 6.6 Rowlett, Texas/Rowlett
Dean Wade, K-State Vladimir Brodziansky, TCU F 6-11 230 Sr. 14.1 5.7 Prievidza, Slovakia/Canarias
Mo Bamba, UT Zach Smith, Texas Tech F 6-8 220 Sr. 12.1 7.2 Plano, Texas/Plano East

If the coverage this season by the media is any indication of how voting will go it will be

POY - Trae Young
Newcomer - Trae Young
Freshman - Trae Young

All Big 12 1st Team

Trae Young
Trae Young's Right Arm
Trae Young's Right Leg
Trae Young's Left Leg
Cameron Lard

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Are we even going to get anybody on second-team?

Maybe Wiggi or Lard?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Maybe Wiggi or Lard?

Last year we had Monte 1st team, Naz 2nd team, and Burton 3rd team.

There were only two freshman on the three teams last year.

For certain Wigginton and Lard are on the All-Newcomer Team. Wigginton is 6th in the league in scoring and Lard is 4th in rebounding. In conference games only they are both Top 10 in scoring and Lard is #2 in rebounding. One or both should get onto the 2nd or 3rd team but might not because the voting seems kinda ****** up at times.

Think about that a little. As strong as this league has been this year when it comes down to Big 12 league play we have two Top 10 league players, as freshman. :D Not sure everyone is grasping how special this might be.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Last year we had Monte 1st team, Naz 2nd team, and Burton 3rd team.

There were only two freshman on the three teams last year.

For certain Wigginton and Lard are on the All-Newcomer Team. Wigginton is 6th in the league in scoring and Lard is 4th in rebounding. In conference games only they are both Top 10 in scoring and Lard is #2 in rebounding. One or both should get onto the 2nd or 3rd team but might not because the voting seems kinda ****** up at times.

Think about that a little. As strong as this league has been this year when it comes down to Big 12 league play we have two Top 10 league players, as freshman. :D Not sure everyone is grasping how special this might be.

I'll take one of what the gentleman on the floor is having.

That kool aid tastes good!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Player of the Year: Young or Evans
Defensive Player of the Year: Bamba or Carter
Newcomer of the Year: Newman maybe or Osetkowski

First Team

Graham
Young
Evans
Carter
Bamba

Second Team

Lecomte
Carroll
Wade
Brodziansky
Acuil

Third Team

Wigginton
Svi
Williams
Lard
Azubuike

Defensive Team

Carter
Evans
Smith
Konatae
Bamba

All Newcomer Team

Young
Wigginton
Newman/Smith
Lard
Bamba

Reactions: BoxsterCy

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Maybe Wiggi or Lard?

I'll take a stab at the first and second team:

First team
Bamba
Azubuike
Young
Evans
Carter

Second team
Graham
Lecomte
Lard
Wade
Brodziansky

Although I could see Mykhailiuk taking Lard's place because they want another guard and because KU.

IMO, Lard should definitely be there. First in offensive rebounds, 9th in defensive rebounds, 4th in blocked shots, 2nd in field goal percentage, 18th in scoring, 5th in double-doubles.

I don't think Wigginton has the consistency yet. And there are a lot of deserving players in the Big XII this year.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
If the coverage this season by the media is any indication of how voting will go it will be

POY - Trae Young
Newcomer - Trae Young
Freshman - Trae Young

All Big 12 1st Team

Trae Young
Trae Young's Right Arm
Trae Young's Right Leg
Trae Young's Left Leg
Cameron Lard
How dare you leave out Trae Young's left arm!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Here's what the media said before the fact. I've picked my postseason choices. Three guards is a problem, I know. Yours?

Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Malik Newman, Kansas (G, 6-3, 190, So., Jackson, Miss./Callaway/Mississippi State) IDK and don't care/dumb award

Devonte Graham should be on 1st team ahead of Dean Wade but I agree with the rest of your picks.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'll take a stab at the first and second team:

First team
Bamba
Azubuike
Young
Evans
Carter

Second team
Graham
Lecomte
Lard
Wade
Brodziansky

Although I could see Mykhailiuk taking Lard's place because they want another guard and because KU.

IMO, Lard should definitely be there. First in offensive rebounds, 9th in defensive rebounds, 4th in blocked shots, 2nd in field goal percentage, 18th in scoring, 5th in double-doubles.

I don't think Wigginton has the consistency yet. And there are a lot of deserving players in the Big XII this year.

I have first-team as...

Young
Evans
Carter
Wade
Bamba

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I did expect Jeffrey Carroll to be a much bigger factor this year, but perhaps he excelled more being the wing man to Evans.

He's 11th in scoring and 13th in defensive rebounding, but he isn't seen in really any other statistical category. With the year he had last year, I expected him to blow up more this year. I really like his game. Unfortunately, he has been stuck on a poor team.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Graham is shooting under 40% from the field but it will probably come down to if KU shares the league title or not

Wait, I thought team performance had nothing to do with individual accolades?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
We are in last place in a league loaded with talent. I doubt that we get anyone on the first three teams. Maybe Wigginton on third team. Babb had a shot but his chances might have been hurt by his injury.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc