Remainder of NBA season at Disney World?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Any reason why? You think Kawhi is the best player in basketball?

I don't think he's better than Lebron but he's head and shoulders above Giannis and every other active player with an MVP. He's the only person in the covno with LBJ. The fact that anyone other than Lebron has an MVP this decade proves it has no correlation to being the best player in the league.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Are we all just going to pretend that a lot of people weren't saying Kawhi is the best basketball player on the planet?

Dude was bad this series. Don't ever talk trash about Lebron again.
To me it was a lot more about supporting cast. LAC were supposed to be stocked up, built to win now etc. Paul George was the real underachiever here, and nobody else really stepped up. Kawhi felt like he had to do it all because he did. We've seen lebron fall flat on his face when the pressure and focus is all on him too. The Lakers didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Reactions: heitclone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
To me it was a lot more about supporting cast. LAC were supposed to be stocked up, built to win now etc. Paul George was the real underachiever here, and nobody else really stepped up. Kawhi felt like he had to do it all because he did. We've seen lebron fall flat on his face when the pressure and focus is all on him too. The Lakers didn't even make the playoffs last year.
So Kawhi gets to use the supporting cast excuse, cool.

Also, are you comparing the talent on this years Clippers team to the talent on the Lakers last year, a year that Lebron also missed a decent chunk of the season with an injury?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So Kawhi gets to use the supporting cast excuse, cool.

Also, are you comparing the talent on this years Clippers team to the talent on the Lakers last year, a year that Lebron also missed a decent chunk of the season with an injury?
No, this Clippers team is better. On paper at least. All I'm saying is Lebron lovers like you hate when critics and haters argue that LeBron can't win without help. Kawhi is the same in that regard. Nothing wrong with it, it is just the facts. I don't think you can make a real determination who the best player is currently based on what happened in the LAC/Denver series. LeBrons #2 guy AD is playing at an all world level right now. Kawhi's #2, PG, looked like he should be playing at his local YMCA rather than the NBA Playoffs. There's your real difference.

Kawhi did win a championship with a worse second star last year in Kyle Lowry than Lebron has currently with AD fwiw.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I just don't think the Clippers fit together well and they never seemed to play with any sense of urgency the whole time in the bubble. Also think they struggle with teams with good big men. I think Denver did a good job as well in making them shoot outside shots. Kawhi and PG only took like 1 ft in that final game.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
No, this Clippers team is better. On paper at least. All I'm saying is Lebron lovers like you hate when critics and haters argue that LeBron can't win without help. Kawhi is the same in that regard. Nothing wrong with it, it is just the facts. I don't think you can make a real determination who the best player is currently based on what happened in the LAC/Denver series. LeBrons #2 guy AD is playing at an all world level right now. Kawhi's #2, PG, looked like he should be playing at his local YMCA rather than the NBA Playoffs. There's your real difference.

Kawhi did win a championship with a worse second star last year in Kyle Lowry than Lebron has currently with AD fwiw.
Lebron might not be able to win a championship without help, but the dude made 9 straight finals. There were plenty of instances where he did that mostly on his own.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Lebron might not be able to win a championship without help, but the dude made 9 straight finals. There were plenty of instances where he did that mostly on his own.
Oh for sure. And Lebron never lost in a conference semi either. At least to my knowledge. If Lebron has a leg up on kawhi on anything right now, it's charisma and the ability to elevate teammates. Kawhi is a little quieter and laid back about his business. That doesn't resonate with everyone, though it seemed to work in Toronto last year.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
But he did win an MVP, and realistically should've been 2 but Nash took one of those from him. I will also say that Kobe was top 5 in MVP voting 10 times other than winning in 2008. Kawhi is going into year 10 with two top 5's. 'm not saying Kawhi isn't good, because he is damn good, but best basketball player in the world he is not.

Kobe also played during one of the worst periods of at least (recent) NBA history. There weren't 5 qualified people to compete with him for MVP.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Oh for sure. And Lebron never lost in a conference semi either. At least to my knowledge. If Lebron has a leg up on kawhi on anything right now, it's charisma and the ability to elevate teammates. Kawhi is a little quieter and laid back about his business. That doesn't resonate with everyone, though it seemed to work in Toronto last year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

This is real easy to look up.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

Every NBA championship is won with either multiple star players, pretty much everyone, or teams with a star and a stacked bench/support players, i.e. 2011 Mavs and 2019 Raptors. I would argue that Lowry and the supporting cast allowed Kawhi to not feel like he needed to do everything. That team had all the pieces to win already in place and got the one extra piece it needed in Kawhi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Id much rather have giannis than kawhi

Naw, much rather have Kawhi. Giannis can't shoot worth a ****. That will continue to to get exposed in the playoffs like they have the past couple years. He needs to figure it out or he won't make it very far. Lebron realized the same thing when the Spurs did that to him in 2007 during his first finals.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Brad Stevens getting outcoached so far with a better team to boot. Celtics are the second most talented team top to bottom, imo left but they are not clicking so far in the ECF.

They're playing all right, the difference in my mind is Miami has the dude that wants the ball and will deliver at the end of the game and I'm not sure who that is on Boston, and it doesn't look like they know.