RELEASE: KLENAKIS JOINS IOWA STATE FOOTBALL STAFF

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not only do I like the pistol offense better than what we have been running, it's also becoming a popular offense in the NFL as well, which will help in recruiting as well.

A big problem with the college spread offenses was that the NFL was not running them, so it was sometimes difficult to get a good QB to come to your school if you didn't run a pro-style offense. But with more NFL teams going to this pistol offense, kids will want to go to schools that run it.

I hope we go almost exclusively to this pistol offense. It doesn't really require that you revamp your entire playbook. In fact, they say you can run your same pro-style power running plays the exact same way in the pistol as you would from under center, virtually no difference.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Wow.... What a nice coincidence. (Provided there are no changes between now and signing day) we have recruited a QB that passed for 2950 yards and rushed for nearly 1400 yards while primarily operating out of a pistol formation. Trevor Hodge has alot of experience running a pistol offense.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm excited too for what the pistol can do but I'm also concerned if ISU can execute it as well as what we have seen. Ault had success at Nevada but he also had Kaepernick who has turned out to be a freak athlete. Washington is also running some pistol but of course RGIII is running that show.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Honestly, I'm for any offense that limits the number of hand-offs (between QB and RB) that are done while running parallel to the LOS.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm excited too for what the pistol can do but I'm also concerned if ISU can execute it as well as what we have seen. Ault had success at Nevada but he also had Kaepernick who has turned out to be a freak athlete. Washington is also running some pistol but of course RGIII is running that show.

You don't HAVE to have a freak athlete to run it though IMO. You just have to have a QB that is a threat to run it, but they don't have to be an amazing runner.

Kaepernick only had one decent run against the Falcons, and was still very effective. He had 2 rushes for 21 yds in that game. That's it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Now can he become the offensive cordinator as well? Thanks.

Probably not, unfortunately, but from what Rhoads said, we brought this guy in here because his expertise is in teaching OL the pistol offense. I don't know why we wouldn't be going more to this style of offense with him here?

So although Mess is still the OC.... I think this new guy will have a LOT to say about what kind of offense we are going to run.... hopefully? He won't be calling plays on Saturdays, but I think he will have a lot to do with what our entire scheme looks like.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Okay, so Mess is still the OC, right?

Why is everybody talking as if ISU is going to be running different offensive sets just because they hired a new O-line ​coach? Am I missing something?

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant

Why is everybody talking as if ISU is going to be running different offensive sets just because they hired a new O-line ​coach? Am I missing something?

Probably becuase it was wildly successful and it would be expected that our coaches are mature enough to recognize and utilize experience accordingly regardless of title.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

In the press release Rhoads mentioned Klenakis's experience in the pistol offense and said that it would add a new dimension to our offense. He basically strongly implied that we will see more pistol next year and Klenakis would have a major role in developing our running game.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Question for the coaches on this board: With running more pistol will we need a different type of athlete than those we have been recruiting? I ask this because since the pistol is usually more of a downhill running game, I figured their may be a need for bigger running backs and bigger lineman.

Jun 11, 2010
Urbandale, IA
In the press release Rhoads mentioned Klenakis's experience in the pistol offense and said that it would add a new dimension to our offense. He basically strongly implied that we will see more pistol next year and Klenakis would have a major role in developing our running game.

This. It is a press release, not a news article. They are very strategic with the content. I would even go a step further and say that we brought in a successful D1 offensive coordinator as the next in line if Mess continues to make a mess of the offense

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This Hire is About a new OL Coach

This hire is about upgrading our OL coach. Bleil just didn't get results. Hopefully the real issue isn't the talent of our recruits.

As far as the pistol goes, ISU has dabbled with the formation in the past- hopefully our run game will show upmore consistently.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
This hire could be good news for the whole offense. Welcome aboard Coach Klenakis.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Any chance Klenakis gets some new recruits to visit Ames? He wasn't retained by the new staff at Arkansas and Arkansas likely had some kids who opened up the process with all the change at Arkansas.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Any chance Klenakis gets some new recruits to visit Ames? He wasn't retained by the new staff at Arkansas and Arkansas likely had some kids who opened up the process with all the change at Arkansas.

Klenakis has a great recruiting reputation; especially when he is in-house. He was on some big names out there. One guy he was recruiting (& not committed) that could fill the slot vacated by Vincent Johnson is:
Garrett Gunter
Offensive Guard
Spring Branch, TX (Smithson Valley)
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 305

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Question for the coaches on this board: With running more pistol will we need a different type of athlete than those we have been recruiting? I ask this because since the pistol is usually more of a downhill running game, I figured their may be a need for bigger running backs and bigger lineman.

No - we'll probably still run a lot of zone read out of the Pistol (like Nevada did) and also incorporate more traditional power running plays like Power, ISO, trap, etc. We could have run the traditional power run plays from the shotgun too, we just didn't. We'll probably also still keep a fair amount of horizontal passing game, but the Pistol makes play-action more effective because the fakes will be better. It's harder to hide the ball during a fake handoff from the shotgun because the quarterback never turns his back to the defense.

I guess I view the Pistol as a formation or alignment rather than an offense (like the nebulous "Spread"). It's not a fundamental change in how the game is played (which I'd say Leach did), but just a different way to maximize effectiveness.