Regarding the Nick Weiler-Babb rumors...

ISUTKD

Nov 9, 2009
Portland
Well if it is a word, no one that uses it, uses it correctly.

Regardless = without regard
Irregardless would then mean NOT regardless. It's a double negative and if you use it, you probably mean regardless.

It sounds stupid and is a huge pet peeve of mine. Doubly so because my ex-wife used "irregardless" all the time.
Well if it is a word, no one that uses it, uses it correctly.

Regardless = without regard
Irregardless would then mean NOT regardless. It's a double negative and if you use it, you probably mean regardless.

It sounds stupid and is a huge pet peeve of mine. Doubly so because my ex-wife used "irregardless" all the time.

Regardless and irregardless have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably. In the same way, flammable and Inflammable have identical meanings. The English language is a quirky living language. Sticking by an incorrect stance that irregardless is either not a word or different than regardless just makes you whiny.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Regardless and irregardless have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably. In the same way, flammable and Inflammable have identical meanings. The English language is a quirky living language. Sticking by an incorrect stance that irregardless is either not a word or different than regardless just makes you whiny.

Even if it is a word, it sounds stupid and sounds like a double negative.

I refuse to use it personally. You can do what you like.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS and Cyke

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Even if it is a word, it sounds stupid and sounds like a double negative.

I refuse to use it personally. You can do what you like.

How do you feel about 'invaluable'?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I word is a word because it has meaning. People used irregardless instead of regardless or irrespective enough times that it became an acceptable as a word. It sounds dumb because it doesn't make much literal sense but it's a word.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
How do you feel about 'invaluable'?

Well invaluable and valuable have different meanings, so there's that

Something that's valuable is worth a lot of money and would net a good price. Something that's invaluable, on the other hand, is valuable beyond estimation. It's priceless. The distinction may be easy to make when discussing things: Betsy's diamond bracelet is valuable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
English is the only language where a double positive means a negative.

"Yeah right."

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Well invaluable and valuable have different meanings, so there's that

Something that's valuable is worth a lot of money and would net a good price. Something that's invaluable, on the other hand, is valuable beyond estimation. It's priceless. The distinction may be easy to make when discussing things: Betsy's diamond bracelet is valuable.

Her bracelet could be invaluable... because it's priceless.

They can be interchanged pretty easily.

• Disagree
Reactions: ILikeCy and CprE84

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Her bracelet could be invaluable... because it's priceless.

They can be interchanged pretty easily.

Invaluable is a degree of valuable. Is irregardless a degree of regardless? They may mean the same thing but the perceived double negative nature of irregardless leads me to avoid the word and not appreciate its usage.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Invaluable is a degree of valuable. Is irregardless a degree of regardless? They may mean the same thing but the perceived double negative nature of irregardless leads me to avoid the word and not appreciate its usage.

I was trying to point out how dumb English is anyways, when appending 'in' to the front of words like 'valid' (invalid) means the opposite, but then appending it to 'valuable' amplifies the meaning.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was trying to point out how dumb English is anyways, when appending 'in' to the front of words like 'valid' (invalid) means the opposite, but then appending it to 'valuable' amplifies the meaning.

Yes. English is stupid. I agree.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
7OprVLyS6y6HjOssJO0b98QhQhY=.gif