chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I thought I did good with my 15yr at 2.5% with 1800 in costs a few weeks back :(
Well you still did, im interested to see how long this stays this way. I may consider a 2nd home somewhere with these amazing rates!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is it worth considering refinancing from a 15 year to a 30 year if the interest rate is lower (going from 3.0/15yr to 2.875/30), but paying extra principle down to keep the monthly payments the same? Eventually my wife will stop working to stay home with kids and the flexibility to have a lower payment if needed seems like a nice option to have going from two to one income.

How many years are you current into your 30 year? As someone else said you should be able to do much better than 2.8 right now on a 15 year. I'm fortunate that my wife knows the loan process inside and out from having been an underwriter to now auditing the underwriting process in her occupation so I have leaned on her when I shopped around for rates. You need a decent drop in interest rate to make a refi save you money because you still will have some closing costs involved. Also if you consider buying down the points you have to do the math on if what you pay upfront to buy down the rate if you actually are going to come out ahead on interest saved over the long haul.

For knocking off 0.2% or less in rate and some years off your loan term probably not worth doing a refi as you would be better off just paying down on the principal and paying it off sooner. If you can find a rate closer to 2% it may make sense to do a refi. There are so many factors to consider as how many years are you into on your 30 year term, how much balance is left, what kind of monthly payment can you afford, etc. For us is was a no brainer going from a 30 year loan currently at 4.375% almost 7 years into it to a 15 year at 2.25% we are reducing our term by 8 years and rate by 2.125% while staying almost exactly at and possibly slightly less of a monthly payment.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
How many years are you current into your 30 year? As someone else said you should be able to do much better than 2.8 right now on a 15 year. I'm fortunate that my wife knows the loan process inside and out from having been an underwriter to now auditing the underwriting process in her occupation so I have leaned on her when I shopped around for rates. You need a decent drop in interest rate to make a refi save you money because you still will have some closing costs involved. Also if you consider buying down the points you have to do the math on if what you pay upfront to buy down the rate if you actually are going to come out ahead on interest saved over the long haul.

For knocking off 0.2% or less in rate and some years off your loan term probably not worth doing a refi as you would be better off just paying down on the principal and paying it off sooner. If you can find a rate closer to 2% it may make sense to do a refi. There are so many factors to consider as how many years are you into on your 30 year term, how much balance is left, what kind of monthly payment can you afford, etc. For us is was a no brainer going from a 30 year loan currently at 4.375% almost 7 years into it to a 15 year at 2.25% we are reducing our term by 8 years and rate by 2.125% while staying almost exactly at and possibly slightly less of a monthly payment.

We're just over a year into our 15 year mortgage at 3% from last summer, which we thought was a great deal then. It looks like the 15 year rate is about 2.375% (through GICU), but refinance to a 30 year at a slightly lower rate (2.875%) than our current 15-year mortgage would be mostly for the flexibility to save on our monthly payments as eventually go from two incomes to one. Ideally, even with a 30 year mortgage, we would pay extra to pay down the principal and try to keep our monthly payments similar to stay on a 15 year schedule, but if things are tight or if there's a major repair coming up, it wouldn't hurt to be able to save more.

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
We're just over a year into our 15 year mortgage at 3% from last summer, which we thought was a great deal then. It looks like the 15 year rate is about 2.375% (through GICU), but refinance to a 30 year at a slightly lower rate (2.875%) than our current 15-year mortgage would be mostly for the flexibility to save on our monthly payments as eventually go from two incomes to one. Ideally, even with a 30 year mortgage, we would pay extra to pay down the principal and try to keep our monthly payments similar to stay on a 15 year schedule, but if things are tight or if there's a major repair coming up, it wouldn't hurt to be able to save more.
These are uncertain times considering Covid, the political environment, etc. I would refi and invest the difference, even if conservatively. Better to have savings versus equity that might be hard to tap.

Reactions: danielyp29

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
I'm not sure if this is frowned upon so please don't respond if it is, but people who have refinanced, can you name who you went through. I'm looking at refinancing, but honestly I'm not sure of what lenders are accepting a refinance. Currently my mortgage is through Wells Fargo.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I'm not sure if this is frowned upon so please don't respond if it is, but people who have refinanced, can you name who you went through. I'm looking at refinancing, but honestly I'm not sure of what lenders are accepting a refinance. Currently my mortgage is through Wells Fargo.
Midwest Heritage Bank at 2.25% for 15 years, no points, $2,000 in closing fees.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

It always slows down with the winter weather so I think most will be either taking applications or soon restarting the process.

Reactions: Zenthar

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Land Home Financial Services 15yr 2.5% approx $1800 in closing. Can provide broker info through PM if desired.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Guaranteed to come out ahead if you stay in the home long enough. I have a google spreadsheet that can tell you when the break even point is, and how much you will save over the life of the loan.

This is an awesome tool! Thanks

Reactions: cyphoon

Snydes

May 16, 2006
Ames

Vision Bank, 30 yr @ 2.62%, 0 pts/0 orig just under $1400 closing costs.

Reactions: Cyclone06

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
What I've noticed with a couple of credit unions is that refinance rates are higher than purchase rates, assuming to keep the refi volume down.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Really? What do you think are normal closing costs? We did our refi with $700 in closing costs
Idk, but do these numbers include the escrow amount?

My closing costs were 2,800 but included 1,000 in escrow, plus an unexpected $250 assessment after the derecho. Dumb

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Idk, but do these numbers include the escrow amount?

My closing costs were 2,800 but included 1,000 in escrow, plus an unexpected $250 assessment after the derecho. Dumb
Escrow I would consider a pre pay and not a closing cost.

Also, if you have no closing cost or really low closing cost the lender probably paid those for you and bumped up the interest rate by .125 or .250 to cover it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Veridian Credit Union has started doing refinancing again. I highly recommend them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron