Referee John Higgins

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
John boy does have some nice thin blond hair.

940x.jpg

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
You just described the same person. Congrats.
Not Higgins, the older and heavier guy. Was a red head, lately a bad black color. And the crew out of KC, tall guy, short italian looking guy, they are usually pretty good. Were really chatty w/ courtside folks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Never got why refs do anything but ref. 1) you get paid enough in the season to sit on the beach in Florida from April - November 2) when do these guys get a chance to improve their skills, learn new things?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
He also used to have a baseball hitting program in Cedar Falls over the winter months. Not sure if he still does that or not.

That was Rick Heller. Former UNI Baseball coach. Now coach at Iowa.

Hilarious that Rick Hartzell 'believes in family values'. Those 'values' must have caused him to have an affair with a student-athlete at UNI and leave his wife to marry her...

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
That was Rick Heller. Former UNI Baseball coach. Now coach at Iowa.

Hilarious that Rick Hartzell 'believes in family values'. Those 'values' must have caused him to have an affair with a student-athlete at UNI and leave his wife to marry her...
I knew Rick Heller had one, but I though Hartzell did as well. It's been years though.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Never got why refs do anything but ref. 1) you get paid enough in the season to sit on the beach in Florida from April - November 2) when do these guys get a chance to improve their skills, learn new things?

Same reason that Fred owns car dealerships

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Because it would be an insanely boring life to lead if you didn't have a job. Additionally having income for 4 months a year and then nothing the rest of the year would suck. Most of the ones I know have "travel friendly" careers on the side.

Each conference sends out material to their officials generally on a weekly basis in season and a monthly basis out of season. There are mechanics and rules classes you can also do online and/or live around the country.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
What a entrepreneur. Didn't his wife drag him into the racing?
Other way around, I think he drug her in

Don't know the circumstances but yes he is married to a former UNI athlete who is MUCH younger than him. She's a real nice lady too.

I knew Rick Heller had one, but I though Hartzell did as well. It's been years though.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hartzell did. He was the baseball coach at Coe many years ago