Redskins

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually a hurricane is a cyclone. Hurricane, cyclones and typhoons are the same weather phenomenon they are just used in different areas. Cyclone was a common term for tornado especially in the turn of the century (read the original wizard of oz) when we got the nickname.
Maybe we should now be called the Tornados?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I am a Native American, and I don't just claim to have Native blood in me. I am a registered tribal member and have been since I was born. To be a trial member you have to have a certain percentage of Native blood and be able to prove it.

That being said I am a huge Redskins fan. I am a Redskins fan because my grandpa was a fan, he was full blooded Native American and grew up on our reservation. I would be ****** if they change their name, and I most likely wouldn't be a fan anymore. How could I be, it would be considered a new team in my eyes.
Does the word 'redskin' have negative connotation to native americans? Like if someone you didn't know called you a redskin would it be a big deal?

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
Does the word 'redskin' have negative connotation to native americans? Like if someone you didn't know called you a redskin would it be a big deal?

At one time it did, and could still be used as a derogatory term if someone wanted to put it in that context. It really has lost all it's "value", if you will. I have heard people say it is the same as the N word but I don't agree with that. The two words have evolved completely different and have a different history.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Derogatory name vs. A group of tribes from the area. Pretty apples to Oranges. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the Big 10's hypocrisy, but your stretching it.

Illini = A group of tribes from the area.
When they add "Fighting" to the beginning, does that not make it derogatory?

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Florida State does it right. They have a mutually beneficial relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida that doesn't offend. I read a while back that the actual tribe helps design the regalia worn by "Chief Osceola" in the pregame festivities, and the team wore Nike uniforms a few years ago with "unconquered" on the pants -- a symbol of the Semonole Tribe never bein forced to surrender to the US. Of course, all of this comes with quite a bit of financial compensation on both ends. Maybe everyone has their price.

The PC argument irks me to no end, and Obama piling on is annoying. Hell, our own government isn't even politically correct right now.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Maybe we should now be called the Tornados?

Nah. Who cares if it doesnt make sense . But it would be insensitive to present our "Cyclone" going through a trailer park as it may be offensive to Hawkeye Fans ;)

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Florida State does it right. They have a mutually beneficial relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida that doesn't offend. I read a while back that the actual tribe helps design the regalia worn by "Chief Osceola" in the pregame festivities, and the team wore Nike uniforms a few years ago with "unconquered" on the pants -- a symbol of the Semonole Tribe never bein forced to surrender to the US. Of course, all of this comes with quite a bit of financial compensation on both ends. Maybe everyone has their price.

The PC argument irks me to no end, and Obama piling on is annoying. Hell, our own government isn't even politically correct right now.

Redskins set up a scholorship fund for native americans from a royalty fee bet tied to usage of the mascot bet everyones happy.

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Redskins set up a scholorship fund for native americans from a royalty fee bet tied to usage of the mascot bet everyones happy.

For sure. I think (as others have said) that a bunch of bored, non-Native Americans are making a stink of this because of $$$. There are larger issues within Tribal communities that could use some support and assistance that goes beyond changing a name. Let's see that first.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
But like I said, in that report I saw most Native Americans don't care. Who does care are a bunch of white people that feel like they have to atone for the sins of their great great great grandparents by making issues of things that essentially aren't.

Let's expand upon this further. Do they use a creepy mascot that makes mockery of Native American traditions? No. Do the fans do a bunch of stupid crap in the stands that makes mockery of Native American culture? Not that I'm aware of. Is it just the team name and identity and nothing further? Yes.

[video=youtube;mR-tbOxlhvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE[/video]

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't really care much one way or the other. But the argument that not many Native Americans are offended is a bad one.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
that's why they should be proud what a honor to have a team name for you and with akll the respect given

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Personally, I think the only reason this should or will be changed is if the NFL forces it to happen. The Redskins/NFL are a private enterprise, entitled to make their own decisions on how the league is presented. If any negative image threatens to harm the image of the Redskins/NFL, and they're okay with that, then there's nothing that needs to be done, IMO.